Advice Sought: ONE Web Site for ALL Audio Books?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Stensvaag

Law Prof
Website
soli.inav.net
As a long time audiobook listener who gleans audiobooks from many sources, I'd appreciate some advice. Frequently, I read about a book that I think might be very worthwhile, IF it is available in audiobook format. Typically, I find that the process of trying to find whether a given book IS in audiobook format can be surprisingly tedious. My standard procedure is:

0. Doh! Amended to indicate that I always check audible.com first. I have been an audible ultimate listener for several years, and am a huge fan of their books. Thanks, Podunk, for reminding me!

1. Look at Amazon. Often, through a bit of sleuthing and clicking on "See all editions" I have some luck. If Amazon says a book is available in audiobook form, then, of course, it is. But often when Amazon does not indicate availability in audiobook form, it turns out after further searching that the book IS available in that format. For example, MANY "Books on Tape" audio books somehow never show up in Amazon. So, I never stop with Amazon.

2. Look at sites for individual audiobook publishers: www.recordedbooks.com, www.blackstoneaudio.com, www.booksontape.com, and so forth. This is tedious, but sometimes gives hits. NetLibrary is good, too, but is mostly Recorded Books stuff, at least in the catalogue I can access at NetLibrary.

3. Check at my public library, to see whether a given book is available there in audiobook format. Sometimes I discover old books on tape versions that do not even show up at the Books on Tape official site! BOT seems to roll off titles when it runs out of product, even though many wonderful BOT audiobooks are scattered throughout the country in public libraries. For example, I found installments of Carl Sandburg's multi-part "Abraham Lincoln" only by making a public library inter-library loan request, with my local library officials tracking down copies in Omaha, Rochester, or whatever.

4. Go to a place like www.audiobookstand.com and hunt around.

My point: shouldn't there be a good way to find EVERY available audiobook through somethink like Google? Thus, for example, if I want to find Mark Helprin's "A Soldier of the Great War," do I really have to do all the #1 through #4 stuff above? Every time I try to use Google, I get too much useless static. If I search for "A Soldier of the Great War" and "audiobook" on Google (or "audio book"), I typically get many, many pages that happen to mention the desired book (only available in hard-copy), but also mention some other book available in audiobook format.

I would welcome any and all tips that other "readers" may have for finding specific audiobooks quickly and effectively.

Thanks as always . . .

John-Mark

Last edited:

Podunk

hmmmm.... i don't think theres' one single site to find everything. I use the following:

Audible.com-the first place I would look is Audible.com. I believe they have the largest content library of all and growing all the time. And they are an aggregator for all of the individual publishers you listed.

Amazon.com-Second, I look at Amazon to see if they offer a physical audiobook.

Audiofile-another good source
http://www.audiofilemagazine.com/gateway/login.cfm

After that, its Yahoo and Google.

Between those three, I can pretty much find if any given book is available in audio.

Last edited:

Stensvaag

Law Prof
Website
soli.inav.net
Podunk said:

Audible.com-the first place I would look is Audible.com. I believe they have the largest content library of all and growing all the time. And they are an aggregator for all of the individual publishers you listed.

Doh! Don't know how I forgot audible. I edited my original post to put this as the first place to look. Thanks . . .

Stensvaag

Law Prof
Website
soli.inav.net
LearnOutLoud -- Excellent!

jbischke said:
I guess I can sort of recommend LearnOutLoud.com to you.

I hope our site might be helpful to you. It's our best effort to try to raise awareness about some of the excellent audio titles that are out there and to make it easier to find material for a given subject.
Wow! I almost felt foolish posting my original message, but your response alone tipping me off to LearnOutLoud.com was worth the effort. I haven't spent much time there yet, but I am a terrific fan of the classics, and your site does an excellent job of pulling together what is available and what is not available. Thank you!

I have also been a very big fan of The Teaching Company. The music lectures by Bob Greenberg are matchless. It is good to know that your site also includes some materials from that vendor.

Thanks again!