Advice needed for a Newbie

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Microchips

Hi,

Never previously owning an iPod (Or an MP3 player for that matter) I'm kinda confused. I know that an iPod is definately the right way to go, but I'm not sure whether or not I should splash out on a Gen3 model.

What are the advantages of the Gen 3 iPod compared to a Gen 2? I'm only looking for a 10Gb one, and since it is available in both Gen's, I'm not quite sure what to get.

If it helps, I'm a PC user, running Xp- so I'll have no compatability problems with software etc.

Thanks.

Timmy Yak

Dr. Sexy Pants
I for one have the second generation 10 Gig. I have also played with the new version quite a bit in the Apple Store. I can say that there are features that make me like both of them.

The things I like about my 10 Gig:
1. The buttons around the scroll wheel. This makes for easy manuverability around the controls.
2. Size and Weight. This is no big deal to me since I just strap it on and it doesn't bother me one bit. Don't even notice it when it's on.

The things I like about the new generation 10 Gig:
1. Size and Weight. I do like the way that this one is much lighter and a bit smaller than mine.
2. Price. I like that they dropped the price down for this version, but I don't like it cause I paid so much for mine.

Things I don't like about the new one:
1. Every Button is touch sensitive. The buttons are very hard to adjust to since they are very touchy. You have to watch how much pressure you put on them or how much you touch them.

All in all I like them about the same, maybe mine a little more. So it's totally up to you. You can probably get a 2nd Gen 10 gig for really cheap.

Joe

Website
www.hamsterdance.com
Microchips said:
If it helps, I'm a PC user, running Xp- so I'll have no compatability problems with software etc.
LOL!

You might wish to do a search on this board for "MusicMatch", the software from hell that comes with the iPod for Windows...

Last edited:

mongoos150

Timmy Yak said:

Things I don't like about the new one:
1. Every Button is touch sensitive. The buttons are very hard to adjust to since they are very touchy. You have to watch how much pressure you put on them or how much you touch them.
Its interesting how people have these problems with the buttons. From my experience, the first time I used the new device, I did not need to learn how to use them or anything. I just touch them like on the old iPod, and it works great. I never had any problems. You need to go into an Apple store or CompUSA and try the buttons. Chances are you will like them and you won't have any problems; though there is a chance (like with Timmy).

Microchips

Re: Re: Advice needed for a Newbie

Joe said:
LOL!

You might wish to do a search on this board for "MusicMatch", the software from hell that comes with the iPod for Windows...

Oh dear God! How can there be THAT many problems?

Hmm.. but I really need a CD ripper. Perhaps rip CD's with MusicMatch and then send them to iPod using Ephpod (I think it is)?

I live in the UK, so CompUSA is out of the question. Unless someone wants to get me a plane ticket.. ;)

It seems that the new version is the way to go- the 2nd Gen 10Gb iPod is nearly the same price on eBay UK as a new 3rg Gen.

Thanks for the help guys.

Doc Holiday

Re: Re: Re: Advice needed for a Newbie

Microchips said:
Oh dear God! How can there be THAT many problems?

Hmm.. but I really need a CD ripper. Perhaps rip CD's with MusicMatch and then send them to iPod using Ephpod (I think it is)?

I live in the UK, so CompUSA is out of the question. Unless someone wants to get me a plane ticket.. ;)

It seems that the new version is the way to go- the 2nd Gen 10Gb iPod is nearly the same price on eBay UK as a new 3rg Gen.

As posted above use Media Center 9. It's the best all-in-one program on the market today. Also for Ripping and Encoding use Exact Audio Copy with LAME 3.90 --aps -Z. You will have the best of the best then.

Bob

Retired
Website
forums.ilounge.com
Re: Re: Re: Advice needed for a Newbie

Microchips said:

Yes, people are asking/getting silly money for 1st & 2nd Generation iPods, when you can buy the latest 3rd Generation iPod for the same!!

If you live in the UK then your best bet is to get your iPod from John Lewis/Robert Sayle. They do an extended warranty on iPods (at least they did).
They are probably the best when it comes to aftersales service, and their prices are just as competitive as anyone else.
I got my original 1st Generation 5gb iPod from a RSayle, and from my experience they seem to be willing to help with problems.
Pity Apple aren't as helpful:mad:

Microchips

I've noticed that nearly all UK sites are crapcompared to their US counterparts! Take amazon.co.uk- they don't even have the new iPod's for pre-ordering!

casdavies

If you're after an old 10GB then Scotsys in Edinburgh & Glasgow (who do mailorder too) are selling off the old models cheap. The 10GB is ?199 and the 20GB is ?299

RNclie

Does anyone know if there is a big diff in battery life? I know as with most devices in order to make them smaller and lighter the battery is one of the things involved.

Timmy Yak

Dr. Sexy Pants
RNclie said:
Does anyone know if there is a big diff in battery life? I know as with most devices in order to make them smaller and lighter the battery is one of the things involved.
There are reports that the new battery life is reduced by about 2 hours.

Hey by the way, RNclie, where in Western NY are you?

Timmy Yak

Dr. Sexy Pants
I'm glad. That was a good investment. If you ever need questions, any one of the members here will be more than happy to help you out.

Oh yeah! And welcome to the lounge!:D

Timmy Yak

Dr. Sexy Pants
kamj12 said:
are you for real? where did you hear that from...
For one it is in Apple's specs and I have seen people post on how they are getting less life.