Adding Chapters to audiobook files - step by step guide

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

jloden

Website
www.lodensoftware.com
I have no desire to take away from Steve Haley's efforts.

I have also created a Windows program to create audiobooks with chapters.

My program is called Chapter and Verse.

I have just released version 1.3 which now has support for chapter images, 14 metadata fields and more. Just like iPod ABC, my software is freeware. It can be downloaded from...

http://www.lodensoftware.com

The focus of C&V is slightly different than iPod ABC.

C&V allows the user to import a single or multiple m4a (aac) files and combine them into a single audiobook. C&V allows you to edit the chapters, add chapter images and metadata (14 different tags along with the cover artwork). In addition to automated chapter creation, the graphical user interface and virtual audiobook player allow custom placement and fine tuning of chapters and chapter images. C&V also allows editing of the finished audiobook where iPod ABC does not.

iPod ABC focuses on automated file conversion and automated chapter creation.

So depending on your focus you may prefer one over and since they have different capabilities, you may also want to have both!

crash613

I may try to give yours a try. I am having problems with my audio book. I don't know of this is inherent of all audio books or only the ones i created using ipod ABC.

What happens is that it works fine while you use it. .. then when you switch to music or something that works fine too.... then when you go BACK to the audio book (be it right away, or even the next day) it will play for about 1 minute before it quits out to the main menu, losing your place in the book. it does this EVERY TIME. Very annoying, but since i know it will do this i just make a mental note of where i am every time i start listening; and invariably, it goes back to the beginning.

jloden

Website
www.lodensoftware.com
crash613,

This is a fairly well known problem. It is related to the duration of the audiobook. There is no real fix, since it appears to require a firmware update from Apple. The only workaround is to reduce the duration of the audiobook by breaking it into parts.

I have a post on my website describing the problem.
Maximum Length of a Stable M4A Audiobook on Certain iPods

I also have a post here on iLounge...
Maximum Length of a Stable M4A Audiobook

There is also a fairly long thread on the Splasm Software Forum about this issue...
"iPod Skips Ahead/Returns to Main Menu/Bookmarks Reset"

misterbee

So far, everything worked up to #6 - I got a working m4b file with chapter markers Yea!
But I can't get rid of the "black box" - I specified artwork for each chapter and SSA seems to have ignored the command:

I used:

[Editpoint_#]
start=00:08:43.00
chapter=chapter title
image=D:\location of file\name of file.jpg

(I tried previously with just "image=name of file.jpg" but got a 'not found' error when running SSA.

I tried using the same .jpg for each chapter and then a different one for each chapter and still get just the black box.

I also tried downloading mp4box but can't find instructions Re: what to do with it anywhere on the net (just lists of commands).

Any suggestions/fixes? Re: getting rid of that black box and/or getting the 300x300 images I specified to actually show up?

paulid

Stephen - do you have a current download site?

Please post/reply

Thanks Paul,

paulid

IpodABC - download

I found an old copy and have it on minus D O T com if anyone needs it

Append the path msNWBdY0Z to the domain after a slash.

(I don't post often enough to be trusted with links!)

HTH ,

Paul