activating an iPad

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

wdc202

Help please in reactivating an old iPad (one of the earliest that came without a camera). It was working fine six months ago when I retired it. Now, when I try to go to my email I get a pop-up message

"The IMAP server "apple.imap.mail.yahoo.com" doesn't support (null) authentication. Please check your account settings and try again."

I have no idea what this means.

I have entered my current Yahoo password on the iPad (it may be different from what it was when I retired the iPad.

FWIW:

1. The Primary Server on the iPad reads "Yahoo! SMPT Server On"

2 I CAN retrieve the current issue of my daily newspaper on the old iPad: so the Internet connection works.

2. When I try to send a test message on the old iPad I do see it listed under SENT messages but when I try to view it I get the error message "The IMA server "apple.imap.mail.yahoo.com" doesn't support (null) authentication. Please check your account settings and try again."

Thanks. ...wdc

cjmnews

Staff member
This is not Activating, this is getting your email working. A totally different topic.

Your server settings for email are out of date for the current usage that yahoo has set up (I recommend moving all important email away from yahoo, especially account recovery, since they have poor security practices)

Yahoo is requiring that you have your username and password set for the outgoing email server now.
You used to be able to see some of this information in earlier versions of iOS in the Mail->Accounts & Settings section, but now it seems to be hidden from us on the new iOS.

You can try to delete the account and re-add it. Going through the steps using IMAP to re-add your incoming and outgoing access using the secure settings where SSL and username and password are used. https://help.yahoo.com/kb/yahoo-mail-imap-settings-sln4075.html

wdc202

CJMNEWS; Not really understanding all of your post, I latched on to one part -- about deleting the old yahoo account and reinstalling it. I did that and ...... <it worked>!

I can now see both a Yahoo email and an AOL email account I had set up for a friend.

Thank you so much. ...wdc

cjmnews

Staff member
The first part is if you were advanced at email settings and had old iOS. It can be ignored.

The delete and add is the easier solution.