• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

About a new Video iPod

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

BlackHawk47

I am looking into definitely waiting for the new iPod to release this Fall of 07. I do not mind the price, because I will be saving (and have been saving) for many years now. Just hope the new iPod 6G Video will have the following features!
1. Slimmer, new design w/ color varieties (Going with green (w/ colors) or white (w/ black or white)
2. SUPERIOR BATTERY LIFE (Equivalent to today's 2G Nanos at 24 hrs! (That's why I mentioned FLASH BASED)
3. At LEAST 30GB space, if not, more. I am not going with today's 5.5G 30GB because it's a hard drive and I do not rely on them so much as I do with flash.
4. At most $300. I'm sure the lowest capacity should be around here... for flash based video iPods.

That's basically it. Who here knows if Apple will release Flash-based Video iPods this Fall of 07? I will be waiting with patience and confidence!!! ;)

bobbit

Website
www.bluemutiny.com
Flash-based video iPods will not be released for a long time. The larger capacities cost far to much right now and are still only recently out of the factory doors so they are far from perfected.

I'm not saying it won't have something in there with a flash thing in it or a flash-card plug, but it won't be purely flash -- the harddrive is here to stay.

iGarfield

Ehm, do you guys know how expensve it is going to be?

If I want to buy one before the summer, should I buy a iPod video instead?

bobbit

Website
www.bluemutiny.com
Guys, no one has any solid clue of what the next iPod is going to be.

If you can't wait, buy a video now. If you can, don't. There's no guarantees that it's going to be a dumbed-down iPhone, and there's no guarantees that it's going to be only hardware upgrades.

BlackHawk47

Maybe toward Hard Drive- although might wait

What if I get the 5th gen iPod once the price drops after the 6G iPod comes out? How much is it predicted to cost for both 30GB and 80GB once they are older models to the 6G? Please estimate based on past iPod price drops for all models. Or should I got with the 6G? Lemme know please. I really do not like the battery life on the 30GB, but the 80GB id fine for me (20 hrs of music playback). Or unless the battery life of the 6G's might be stronger and last longer, I would definitely go with that.

LukeA

Website
luke.ament.googlepages.com
BlackHawk47 said:
What if I get the 5th gen iPod once the price drops after the 6G iPod comes out? How much is it predicted to cost for both 30GB and 80GB once they are older models to the 6G? Please estimate based on past iPod price drops for all models. Or should I got with the 6G? Lemme know please. I really do not like the battery life on the 30GB, but the 80GB id fine for me (20 hrs of music playback). Or unless the battery life of the 6G's might be stronger and last longer, I would definitely go with that.
With flash, power consumption drops drastcially, increasing battery life considerably. As Surf Monkey mentioned, you won't want a 5- or 5.5G iPod when there's something way cooler and newer out.

BlackHawk47

Oh, you mean refurbs of Videos now? Will those be the prices of new 5.5Gs once the 6Gs come out? Also, what might the 6Gs look like (with new features)? Any guesses?

Tommy Tuckerbox

If a video player doesn't support DIVX/XVID with AC3 and scalable aspect ratios, it will only receive praise from the most belligerently brand loyal. Everyone else will deservedly dump scorn upon it.

Website
www.ilounge.com
This question of video codecs has already been discussed at great length over in this thread.

While I'll agree that Apple does have a lot of room for improvement in providing better support for aspect ratios, particularly in TV output mode, the lack of inclusion of DivX is not as big of a problem as many suspect. The PSP uses basically the same codecs, and people are happy to convert their video formats there.

H.264 may be a relatively new standard, but it is superior to DivX, particularly for portable players. Since video content formats do not have the same foothold as the ubiquitous MP3 format, it's easier to see a format change on the horizon. As a rule, most people don't library videos the same way they collect music, and therefore it's harder for any video format to be particularly entrenched. Further, DivX remains a mess of various container standards and codecs, with all but the very most recent content generally requiring some amount of conversion before it will play on any portable device.

Tommy Tuckerbox

Does it matter if it can't play 99% of the videos you download? That seems to be the direction Apple is headed in the short term.

As ever.

jhollington said:
This question of video codecs has already been discussed at great length over in this thread.

While I'll agree that Apple does have a lot of room for improvement in providing better support for aspect ratios, particularly in TV output mode, the lack of inclusion of DivX is not as big of a problem as many suspect. The PSP uses basically the same codecs, and people are happy to convert their video formats there.

H.264 may be a relatively new standard, but it is superior to DivX, particularly for portable players. Since video content formats do not have the same foothold as the ubiquitous MP3 format, it's easier to see a format change on the horizon. As a rule, most people don't library videos the same way they collect music, and therefore it's harder for any video format to be particularly entrenched. Further, DivX remains a mess of various container standards and codecs, with all but the very most recent content generally requiring some amount of conversion before it will play on any portable device.
Apple fundamentalist are so forgiving (or is it naive) in their acceptance that Apple will never let them swim in the big pool with all the other kids.

Untill Apple supports Divx/Xvid, it's just wasting time, and treating its loyal customers like hapless newbies.

The same logic as not bothering to make a mouse with a wheel and context menu buttons. Do you really need to be dumbed that far down?

Do Betamax, 8 Track, Minidisk, or ATRAC ring any bells?