Aac?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

nontoxicglue

a member
Website
nontoxicglue.textamerica.com
Hey, i'm new to this itunes hence, new to aac. i was wondering what the difference is (aac vs. mp3). i think i read that itunes store sells aac? but other than that, is there a reason i would rip my cds in aac format/convert my mp3s (is it smaller?).
i tried to search the forum, but it didn't allow me to search words under 4 letters.

thanks.

SegaVegas

Do not transcode already compressed music. This will result in loss of quality.
For encoding your uncompressed files: Yes, aac like some other newer formats is slightly more file size efficient than mp3. But it's not nearly as widely supported as mp3 and file size is getting less and less of an issue as hdd capacities and bandwith increase. That's why I recommend to stick to mp3 unless you're specifically encoding for playback on a mobile mp3 player with limited capacity.
For example, I have some music files in the ogg vorbis format which is, like aac, slightly more space efficient than mp3, but for playing back those files i'm now locked in to players that support ogg. My previous player worked fine with ogg but iTunes doesn't.

Last edited:

ToddW

Website
www.dicksonstreet3.com
The .aac format supposedly is suppose to give a sound comparable to .mp3 encoded at 192kbps with a smaller file size. I ripped one track both at .aac and also mp3 encoded at 192kbps. My results were as follows:

-.aac sounded just as good as .mp3 at 192kbps
-.aac file size is roughly 4.5MB
-.mp3 at 192kbps is roughly 6.5MB

so you could assume that .aac gives a better size to sound ratio then .mp3 at 192kbps

hope that helps

Todd

m.r.m.

someone once wrote that aac supports 5.1 sound. no idea if this is accurate though. anybody any insights on this?

nontoxicglue

a member
Website
nontoxicglue.textamerica.com
thanks for the replies, it helped. i'll stick to .mp3 for now because it would be such a hassle having a mix of mp3 and aac files. yes. i used ogg vorbis on my iriver player until it got smashed.

saabcaptain

AAC vs. MP3 bitrate comparison

I have all my 400+ CD's ripped in MP3 160 bitrate. From what I understand AAC has higher quality sound at a lower bitrate compared to MP3 files. What is the equivelent bitrate comparison... is for example a 128 AAC file like a 160 MP3, or even 192?

Thanks!

djbe

apparently, 128 AAC is equivalent to 160 MP3 - that's what they say. I have virtually everything on my ipod in 128 AAC, and it sounds fine (to me anyway)

thebrain_16

As I understand it, I shouldn't rip my MP3's to AAC because the sound quality will diminish (Something about converting from one compressed format to another). So if I want AAC, should I rip it right from the CD instead?

m.r.m.

exactly. best results if you re-rip.?i wouldn?t really bother. just rip future tracks to aac (if you want to use aac).

SpideyPod

Long Time Podder
Website
stationa.net
I have to agree with m.r.m
If you are like many people here you probably have a few hundred CD's which would be quite time consuming to re-encode.

I spent hours encoding using alt preset standard under LAME. Best bet go with AAC starting today and leave your MP3's as is.