• iLounge and the Discussion Forums are read by people in countries all over the world. The legality of DVD-to-iPod ripping will vary based on your country of residence. iLounge does not in any way endorse violation of the valid rights of copyright holders, and strongly recommends that you consult your country's copyright and fair use laws before copying any video content.

A very simple sound sync fix

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

muzcee

Xvid?

I have tried the described method on an avi.Xvid file and find the method not to work. Could the Xvid encoding have an affect.

CableKC

Koshiro....tx for the post.

I downloaded the PocketDivXEncoder....and it prompts me to choose which device to choose.

Considering that I have a 5G Video 60GB iPod.......which one do I choose? Its not one of the devices that I can choose from.

OriolesFan129

ok, I was having the audio sync problems when I converted DivX files with just Videora so I tried your method and had the same results. Anyone know why? I tried it several times and did EXACTLY what you said. Could it be because its a DivX file?

ip0d @ddict

I also had horrible results with Videora and PQDVD. The only thing that works is when I switched to Nero Recode. I've encoded hundreds of movies, and music vids, without any glitches. Well worth the money I paid!

Papabigface

THANK YOU!!!!!!! OMG after like 6 days of non stop encoding, trying every different way and work around I could research, this is the one that finally worked. Now my iPod Videos are all synced up and awsome. Thanks Man!

hendrixking

just to be clear, the pocketdivx program, we have to pay for right? coz otherwise we can't choose the iPod option

d-zyne

Thanx!

like most pc users trying to convert movies to .mp4 for the 5g for free, i've constantly been having problems with audio and video sync. i've tried many things, and when i saw this one i was once again skeptical.

but in the end it WORKED! audio and video syncd perfectly! thanx much for the tutorial and post!

I've only done one movie so far so let's hope the rest turn out just as well.

thanks again!

weilik

iPhone 4 Lover
Website
weilik.me
Hey there, Koshiro,

I have a couple of questions to ask you.

Firstly, how can I determine the original video size of my DVD (320x240 or 320x192) so it will not end up being distorted after the conversion?

Finally, where can you find the ''Direct encoding'' button?
The screen that I captured :
h**p://i2.tinypic.com/szx40i.gif

sanchez786

Thanks

I have found the best combination for loading DVD's onto your ipod is

1) Rip DVD using DVD Decryptor
2) Encoding using PocketDIVX to .avi format
-you WILL lose some, but not much video quality as the most you can convert is 80% video quality
3) NERO RECODE to convert to mp4 and again you lose ever so little quality.

This is the best combo that works for me and has so far ensured NO audio out of sync problems.

For those trying to get DVD quality onto your IPOD to display on your TV as exactly DVD quality, it will NOT happen so quit stressing. The quality is still VERY good but just as not as good as DVD.

Anything else, just ask.

pyroboy145

Another program you guys could try is the one by Cucusoft. The program worked for me and a buddy. He was having video issues before upgrading to a newer version, now his is working just fine. I had never tried before just a few days ago and things went very smoothly. Also if it matters we both had the newest firmware.

refleX191

Nice tutorial, now that solves my problems for all my .avi files. I still have lots of wmv's I'd like to convert. What should I use or do to convert my wmv's?

onlydarksets

weilik said:
Hey there, Koshiro,

I have a couple of questions to ask you.

Firstly, how can I determine the original video size of my DVD (320x240 or 320x192) so it will not end up being distorted after the conversion?

Finally, where can you find the ''Direct encoding'' button?
The screen that I captured :
h**p://i2.tinypic.com/szx40i.gif
Click the "Advanced Options" button first, then you will see the "Direct encoding" button.

Kaper92

Hi, this was a previous post, but was never answered, and now I am curious as to what the answer is.

Upon start-up of PocketDivXEncoder, it prompts you to pick one of five or six devices. Which one are you supposed to pick?

onlydarksets

Kaper92 said:
Hi, this was a previous post, but was never answered, and now I am curious as to what the answer is.

Upon start-up of PocketDivXEncoder, it prompts you to pick one of five or six devices. Which one are you supposed to pick?
It shouldn't really matter, since you are bypassing the video encoding. However, I always pick the computer screen.

Kaper92

Another question:

In Videora, I'm having trouble setting the resolution to 320x192. Mainly because I don't know how. I think I have to make a custom profile, but every time I click on new profile, the profile name gets erased and nothing happens. How do I change the resolution?

infernox

pyroboy145 said:
Another program you guys could try is the one by Cucusoft. The program worked for me and a buddy. He was having video issues before upgrading to a newer version, now his is working just fine. I had never tried before just a few days ago and things went very smoothly. Also if it matters we both had the newest firmware.
I am using Cucusoft too but have one problem...All my converted movies play for awhile but the movies stall for a sec or two then the video restarts again but without sound. It continues like that with the video but still no sound. Any help would be appreciated. Let me know what settings you used.

Here're my settings.

No subtitles
English AC3
Stretch to Fit
401 kbps (output bitrate)

Shiryoku

infernox said:
I am using Cucusoft too but have one problem...All my converted movies play for awhile but the movies stall for a sec or two then the video restarts again but without sound. It continues like that with the video but still no sound. Any help would be appreciated. Let me know what settings you used.

Here're my settings.

No subtitles
English AC3
Stretch to Fit
401 kbps (output bitrate)
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has that problem... what the heck is wrong with my video files to make it do that?! I've done Just Friends, Waiting..., Van Wilder, and Shades of Gray, and they all do that.

I did try The Perfect Score with this method though... but it didn't work for me...

I followed the step by step instruction for DVD Decrypter and Pocket Divx Encoder... it played fine in the preview window of DivxEncoder, but when I tried to play the resulting AVI... the video was choppy, the sound was fine... But I figured maybe it would play right on the iPod itself. I finished up with Videora and then added it to my iTunes library.

When I went to edit the info on the file, as it was rewriting the tags iTunes had an error and had to close. Every time I tried to do something to the file it closed. I ended up having to go into the library and delete the file before I could delete it form iTunes. Then I readded the file and decided not to mess with the tags, I plugged in my iPod and it was updating fine but as soon as it finished, iTunes had the error and closed again. And the movie wasn't added.

I really need help on this. I've been able to put all of Invader Zim and Clone High on my iPod... but I haven't had any success with full length movies. I just want to watch my movies... why does Apple have to make it so complicated?

Shiryoku

Ok I finally got a movie to work. You were right it does work, I still need to screw around with the brightness though. I did The Incredibles with the brightness at +10... but the darker parts of the movie... you can't see anything. Thank you for this1 I've been trying to get movies on here for so friggin long!

EDIT:

I guess I spoke too soon, the video freezes about 10 minutes in. If you're watching the movie, it's at the part where Mr. and Mr.s Incredible kiss as they're pronounced man and wife... and it just freezes. I have to do a hard reset on the iPod to get it to do anything. I'm not sure if it freezes anywhere else either. I'm redoing the entire process with the same movie to see if I can get it right... but I don't know what could be wrong right now...

EDIT 2:

Ok... I figured out that was just a bug in that one file. I've put the Incredibles, Corpse Bride, and Aladdin on my iPod... and I figured out that to get DVD quality picture, all you have to do is set the brightness to +18 and leave the hue and saturation alone.

Last edited: