• iLounge and the Discussion Forums are read by people in countries all over the world. The legality of DVD-to-iPod ripping will vary based on your country of residence. iLounge does not in any way endorse violation of the valid rights of copyright holders, and strongly recommends that you consult your country's copyright and fair use laws before copying any video content.

A very simple sound sync fix

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

13olt3

Would there be a converter for .RMVB files that work similar to this?

fishtales

pocketdivxencoder (Koshiro)

Awesome instructions! Easy to follow and fix the audio synch problems with iPod Touch video issues. Many hours and headaches avoided. Thanks mucho Koshiro-san... :)

Ben Evangelista

Koshiro said:
I wanted to make a few corrections in my instructions. After playing with the settings in PocketDivXEncoder, I am now going to say that the brightness is best left at about +10 or so. I am also now setting the contrast and saturation up a few notches to +8 to +10. I am finding that while it looks a bit over saturated on the computer screen, it looks really good and very close to the dvd on the iPod screen

The iPod screen is known for being a bit dull, so bumping up these settings really helps the final look on the iPod.

Let me know what's working for you guys.
Are there any converters I can download to just make sure that all my files in iTunes are correct so I can have a successfull sync to my iTunes Classic 160gb. I have 22gb of files in my iTunes library that play just fine but I can not get a successfull sync. iTunes just freezes up part way through the process. Very frustrating! I appreciate what ever you can do. Thanks.

invisibleman18

Great guide. It's certainly helped me sort out my avi files. :)

Still stuck with the DVDs though. Recently I have been trying to rip and convert dvds of a TV series (ie, there are 6 episodes on a DVD). I have been using 'Imtoo DVD to Ipod Converter' which is great in the sense it can create 1 mp4 video for each episode with 1 click. However, when watching the mp4 videos the audio is slightly out of sync. I haven't tried the decrypter method of this guide yet but would it work for this? Would it rip separate vob files for each episode so I can make an mp4 of each episode? If not, then does anyone know how I can change settings in Imtoo (or similar) to keep the audio in sync?

Thanks

invisibleman18

Ignore the post above. Just been trying the whole method today and it works perfect with my DVDs. Didn't realise you could rip the individual episodes instead of 1 whole video with DVD Decrypter but you certainly can. Thanks a lot for the great guide. It means I have to rip and convert my whole 8 series of 'Red Dwarf' again but I suppose this is how you learn. I know how to do it properly now. :)

It's a shame the 1 click method from Imtoo wasn't quite perfect as that ripped and converted each episode in about 15 minutes. With this method it's roughly 2-3 minutes to rip with DVD decrypter, roughly 15 minutes to convert to avi with Pocket DivX Encoder then another 15 to convert to mp4 with Videora. There's probably just some settings to change that I don't know much about in Imtoo.

invisibleman18

floepie said:
I'm not sure why you would need to re-encode twice. Why can't you simply do a direct stream copy of both the audio and video to create one big mpeg2 based AVI to maintain the quality of the DVD. THEN, use Videora to re-encode. Of course, you would need an extra 5 GB or so for that AVI file. AND, it would take less time. I think VirtualDubMod could do this.
That would certainly save time, but how would you rip a DVD straight into an AVI file? Also, is there some program that would allow you to rip each individual episode of a TV series as such?

undercoverchic

i have followed the instructions that you have given and they worked fine, but i can't get itunes to view it!
when i try to open it in itunes nothing happens. it works perfectly fine in windows media player!
help anyone?

DrGrafenberg

invisibleman18 said:
Didn't realise you could rip the individual episodes instead of 1 whole video with DVD Decrypter but you certainly can.
Can you explain how to rip one episode from a series of six please!

btw thanks a lot for this Koshiro, saved me a lot of head scratching

Last edited:

ppw350Zunit

9. The final step in PocketDivXEncoder is to click the "Direct encoding" button. Make sure you wait until a new screen pops up telling you that the file has finished. The progress bar is not even close to the real percent. Just be patient with it.

i just finished this part and now i can't find the file. where would it be?

Drevil

OK so i am using this program (v. 0.3.96) , I do the "direct audio stream copy" box, then upload a file ( about 6 mins clip of a movie in 'avi I want to get better audio/video sync) the output location is automatically set in the same folder, I change the "video quality" and "brightness" and "screen size" and then FINALLY encode it. I check my folder once it is done (and the process takes seconds to me) so I check my folder and the file is not there, but also the original 'avi is damaged with a 0 KB size. Am I doing something wrong? Hopefully.

P.S. There is also one weird thing, there are five steps , but in this version there are no instructions from Koshiro for the fourth step and I have no clue wat it does.

patrickrlewis

Website
www.myspace.com
Am I the only one who finds it INSANE you have to go through all this just to watch video in Itunes.

Here's an idea: how about Apple put out a product that actually WORKS!!!! and does not have this issue?

Windows Media Player NEVER has audio sync problems. It is the one reason I do not buy videos from Itunes (until recently).

eye4iphone

Koshiro,
Thanks for posting this information. Any chance this is a Mac application?
Thanks again.

Code Monkey

patrickrlewis said:
Windows Media Player NEVER has audio sync problems. It is the one reason I do not buy videos from Itunes (until recently).
Bollocks, the audio sync is due to the quality or lack thereof in the original encoder. WMP appears to you to have fewer issues because it supports such well developed encoders such as DivX. You can find plenty of out of sync videos in WMP simply by playing out of sync videos. If you've never played back out of sync videos in WMP, you just aren't downloading enough stuff ;)

patrickrlewis

Website
www.myspace.com
Code Monkey said:
Bollocks, the audio sync is due to the quality or lack thereof in the original encoder. WMP appears to you to have fewer issues because it supports such well developed encoders such as DivX. You can find plenty of out of sync videos in WMP simply by playing out of sync videos. If you've never played back out of sync videos in WMP, you just aren't downloading enough stuff ;)
Cute, but I don't download anything, lol.

I use PQDVD to rip my DVDs (which are legally purchased). They are ripped in mp4 format at 1500kps and the audio is at 128.

Don't have one single issue watching anything in WMP, but in Itunes, after about 5 minutes of watching, the audio is instantly out of sync for the rest of the movie or show. The only thing that works in Itunes are the videos I get from the store, and even then, they will get out of sync at times, and I have to pause them and restart to get them back in line.

It is an Itunes issue, not an encoding issue.

Code Monkey

patrickrlewis said:
Cute, but I don't download anything, lol.

Don't have one single issue watching anything in WMP, but in Itunes, after about 5 minutes of watching, the audio is instantly out of sync for the rest of the movie or show. The only thing that works in Itunes are the videos I get from the store, and even then, they will get out of sync at times, and I have to pause them and restart to get them back in line.

It is an Itunes issue, not an encoding issue.
Ah, I assumed you were talking about the iPod itself. I do not use iTunes for ANY video playback, I'll r-click to take me to the file in explorer and then open it in QuickTime directly. I don't know about iTunes losing the audio sync, but it's a terrible video player for plenty of other reasons. This puzzles me since allegedly it's just using the QT engine for playback, but it has certainly never worked properly on any computer I've used. On my current rig it inevitably "hiccups" about 10-15 seconds into EVERY video, even little tiny 15 MB home move clips I have that, in theory, can be completely decoded and loaded into RAM in about 5 seconds.

patrickrlewis

Website
www.myspace.com
Yeah, I don't watch a lot on the Ipod itself because the screen is so small.

I don't have a TV in my place, I watch EVERYTHING either online or through the computer,and I hate not being able to use Itunes to watch the video because I like how you can downsize the playback screen and customize the size you want it to be.

Code Monkey

patrickrlewis said:
I hate not being able to use Itunes to watch the video because I like how you can downsize the playback screen and customize the size you want it to be.
Try going to the file itself and using QuickTime proper. It's only about 5-10 seconds more and you'll get everything you want without the problems of using iTunes.

patrickrlewis

Website
www.myspace.com
Code Monkey said:
Try going to the file itself and using QuickTime proper. It's only about 5-10 seconds more and you'll get everything you want without the problems of using iTunes.
Is that automatically on a Windows based computer?

I really don't want to have download (or worse yet, pay for!! lol) another program.

Code Monkey

patrickrlewis said:
Is that automatically on a Windows based computer?

I really don't want to have download (or worse yet, pay for!! lol) another program.
You have QuickTime because you have iTunes, the two are bundled like Internet Explorer and Windows. In fact, iTunes itself can't play anything, it's all done via the QT engine, which is why I have never figured out why it's so damn bad at video since the stand alone QT player is just fine in my experience.

Just r-click on the file and use the "Open With" to use QuickTime.