A/V Cable Picture Quality W/Classic

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Cubbies2166

Incubus Guru
I'm thinking about getting the A/V component for my iPod Classic, but I'd like to know first what the quality is like on the videos? I've seen one of the 5.5 gens on a TV before, is it better than that? Any opinions would help.

Sparkee

I use my 5G iPod regularly to watch video on standard def TV's with the component connection through the headphone jack. There's a lot of factors in play to get good video out put. The biggest factor is how well your video is encoded. The video needs to be encoded at least 640x480 and at least 800-1000Kbps bitrate for displaying on TV's. I'll do older TV Show episodes at 1000Kbps since the originals are not that high of quality. DVD movies I'll max out to 1500Kbps.

320x240 video can look OK at a high enough bitrate but will look closer to a VRC tape, still watchable. Watching low quality video on an HD TV will look even worse. Most video podcasts are in this category as well and don't expect any YouTube type video to look great either.

Galley

Website
www.galleytech.com
You should be pleased with the quality. Be aware that some video podcasts will be offered in several sizes. Try the higher ones which will probably play on the iPod. Avoid 320 x 240 if you can.

Sparkee

Good point Galley, but you should also avoid any tagged as HD or for the Apple TV, they are 720p and not supported by the iPod.

Galley

Website
www.galleytech.com
jtbmoore said:
What cable do you recommend?
If you own an iPod classic, and have a modern TV, then it makes the most sense to get the Component AV Cable. $49 is a little pricey, but you also get a USB power adapter which can come in handy on vacation. :D

jtbmoore

I actually just want a baisc yellow, black, and red rca cable. Some cables I see go into the head phone jack and some go into the dock port. Which ones are better. I have the latest 80gig classic

Sparkee

If you have the classic you need the composite video cable kit from Apple that connects to the dock port. classics do not send the video signal to the headphone jack any more.

PammyLZ

I have the latest Apple composite (not the component) cable, and I encoded my latest DVD purchase, Batman Begins, to a 640 x 360 @ 1574 kbps. And I hooked it up to my standard TV, and it looks fantastic, like right off the DVD. Now I take it to the HD Projector which projects our HD cable onto a big screen, and it looked very good there too. Now, just to let you know how big the picture was.. it was about 66" across. And it still looked great. At that size, there was some blotchyness, but I believe some of it was caused by the projector. Because some of the Cable TV HD content is blotchy too. So, I believe it's the projector causing it. I won't know until I can find a friend with an HDTV.

Last edited:

jtbmoore

I got a cable that connects to the dock port but I still don't have video on my tv. I have audio but no video.

Website
www.ilounge.com
Unfortunately, not every cable that connects to the Dock Connector port will work -- you have to purchase the Apple AV cables at this point, as an authentication chip is required to enable the video output feature on the new 2007 iPod models.

Most video output accessories have been built for the fifth-generation iPod, which did not have this restriction. The accessories that will enable video output on the 2007 iPod models (classic, nano, touch) are much more limited.

jtbmoore

Thanks, the cable I got was a cheapy off ebay. This all makes sense. I was also considering a portable dvd player that has ipod capabilities. Is there a chance these will not work either?

Website
www.ilounge.com
Unfortunately, the only accessories that will presently work directly with the new iPods for video output are the two Apple AV Cables (component and composite), and the Apple Universal Docks.

You can purchase the cables (or Universal Dock) and use these as an interface to the portable DVD player, but you will not be able to connect the iPod directly to the DVD player, even if it has iPod compatibility (since it was likely designed for the fifth-generation iPod). You'd be better off getting a portable DVD player with generic video inputs and then purchasing the proper cables or Apple Universal Dock and connecting to the DVD player that way.

jtbmoore

Any good deals on that cable. 49.00 every where and nothing on ebay. Is an armed guard going to deliver it?

LostinLouisiana

Why did Apple do this?

:confused: I just have to add these complaints to this thread. 1. Apple should let you know right off the bat that your video and photos cannot be displayed on a TV without purchasing Apple specific cables; it would have saved my $$$ in returns for other products with better reviews that don't work and hours of reading tech support guides to figure out what would work. 2. If Apple is going to force you to use their dock, couldn't they at least have made it so that your iPod screen shows up on your TV screen and you can control your iPod via a remote. The remote currently included does not let you do anything more than "play", "fast forward" or "rewind". In other words, I tried pushing the "menu" button, thinking that I would get to the iPod menu and be able to change from music to video to photo. SILLY ME! The menu button only allows you to pair a remote with a specific dock.

Website
www.ilounge.com
LostinLouisiana said:
1. Apple should let you know right off the bat that your video and photos cannot be displayed on a TV without purchasing Apple specific cables; it would have saved my $$$ in returns for other products with better reviews that don't work and hours of reading tech support guides to figure out what would work.
For the record, we couldn't agree more. This recent change has caused massive consumer confusion, and is quite possibly one of the most insane and least popular moves that Apple has ever made, both with the consumers and even the accessory manufacturers, since it's fairly obvious by the number of third-party video-compatible accessories available (ie, none) that they were not prepared for this change either.

Further, even Apple's own retail stores are not up to speed on these issues. We have received several reports from people who have bought older video accessories from Apple Stores after being told that they would work with the newer iPod models, and in my recent visits to local Apple Stores, there's certainly nothing that would clearly indicate any problems with accessory compatibility -- in fact they even have shelves full of the iPod Camera Connector with absolutely nothing on the packaging to indicate that this will only work with a now-discontinued iPod model.

As an independent news and information site, we've done our best to inform people as much as possible, but it is obviously the responsibility of Apple to make this information far more clear to its customers (and partners).

See our articles from last fall when this change was announced... Is Apple Going Rotten? and Apple Locks TV Out in New iPods, Breaks Video Add-ons for more information about this.

2. If Apple is going to force you to use their dock, couldn't they at least have made it so that your iPod screen shows up on your TV screen and you can control your iPod via a remote. The remote currently included does not let you do anything more than "play", "fast forward" or "rewind". In other words, I tried pushing the "menu" button, thinking that I would get to the iPod menu and be able to change from music to video to photo. SILLY ME! The menu button only allows you to pair a remote with a specific dock.
To be fair, this is a niche that has presently been filled by third-party accessory manufacturers. The remote control itself is a generic remote used by every Apple product from the iMac to the Apple TV. On these other devices, the "Menu" button serves a purpose -- on the Universal Dock it does not.

Docks by DLO and Griffin can provide on-TV menuing, although you'll have to wait until they've released versions that are compatible with the new video output restrictions.

marionr26 said:
where do we go to get the cable?
Generally an Apple Retail Store or the Apple online store at www.apple.com sells these cables. Some other big-box retailers that otherwise sell iPod accessories might have them in stock as well.

With Macworld next week, you will also very likely see some new compatible video accessories from third-party manufacturers being announced.

marionr26

Ok I dont have a dock...So should I get the componet or composite cables....Can I just hook them to my ipod and to the tv. I have the 2007 80gb classic. Can I just hook up and play..with no problems purchasing the cable from apple?

Galley

Website
www.galleytech.com
marionr26 said:
Ok I dont have a dock...So should I get the componet or composite cables....Can I just hook them to my ipod and to the tv. I have the 2007 80gb classic. Can I just hook up and play..with no problems purchasing the cable from apple?
Yes, you do not need the dock. Go for the component cable if that's what your TV supports. You will get better image quality, progressive scan, and it will support the rumored 720p output.