• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

A tiny speaker

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

madmaxmedia

Website
www.madmaxmedia.com
A little speaker primarily for when watching video would be nice IMO. Just good enough for dialogue, etc., no cranking bass or anything like that. It wouldn't take much space, use much battery, or cost too much.

How about it?

Blackmane

A Dark Man In A Dark Cape
I hate it when people have there PSP blaring out with video annoying. Use the headphones.

Blackmane

A Dark Man In A Dark Cape
The ipod has already a tiny speaker come to think of it, but it can only handle a click and a beep.

JeffsJeep04

Rock the Cashbah
You know how annoying it is when people have their cell ringers turned up to loud? Yeah....it'd happen here too. Headphones keep the sound where it belongs. If you really want to share, there are lots of external speaker options.

jamesr

What I would like is a tiny speaker on the ipod shuffle to take on runs outside. That way, in groups of a few people, all of them could listen to the music. I think there are some third party products that are speakers for the shuffle, but I don't know if any of them are compatible for putting in an armband. There is the Macally Podwave for the 3g and 4g ipods that looks like it might be feasible for that purpose.

VarLordahl

Terrible idea and apple would never let it happen.

What people on here that don't understand marketing or business ALWAYS fail to understand is just because something is usefull does not mean Apple should/would include it.

First off, Apple MUST maintain an image of making ONLY the highest-quality products of high-style, high performance, and high quality. This IS WHY the ipod is market leader. Instead of competing with other players on teh market, that are more useful, they have stuck to their guns. This is the same reason why it would make no sense to add a black and white screen to the shuffle. If you want more on this, I can elaborate. What it boils down to is that adding a speaker would add size (somethng apple is clearly conscious of). Additioanlly, unless they spent $$$$$ on a super-high-quality speaker (which in turn would make the ipod cost $$$$), it would sound like crap. It would tarnish the iPod's image irreparably if it became known as the player with the speaker that sounds like tin.

It also would no longer make it a "pod." the marketing gurus who envisioned the ipod did so with the intention of making a capsul that simply held music - but didn't actually broadcast it. It was never supposed to be, and probably never will be, a device that is a personal boom-box. INstead, it is a smalll item that stores music. That music can be PLUGGED INTO any number of accessories to play (Headphones, a stereo, a car), but the device itself is merely a container.

Adding a crappy speaker, aside from soiling the image of the iPod, would also open it up to criticism. Every review would focus on teh speaker. How does it compare to other company's speakers...how is it's high-end bass, low-end bass, etc... This is the EXACT thing that apple has avoided in keeping its players distinct from the rest of the market.
i.e. by making the shuffle have no screen, it could not be compared to, and therefore was generally not thought of in the same category as, small MP3 players with screens. It was marketed as a piece of jewelry that randomly played your favorite music. It was a mass hit because people bought into the hype - a hype that can only be maintained as logn as Apple keeps the player different. IF apple's shuffle looked and functioned like Creative, or iRiver's small flash players, then guess what, people would cross-shop and compare them. They may even realize that the apple is not the best value.

But by differentiating, by refusing to confrom to ideas that seem "useful" or ideas that "everyone else does," people think of the ipod as a separate product - one that is not cross-shopped. This is one of Apple's key marketing moves that made it what it is today in the portable music market.

jonnyk429

Website
www.thegizmoshack.com
That makes a whole lot of sense and you hit it right on.
But I do think it would be nice if they came out with a video player with a speaker, just like the portable dvd players have one or like how I brought up the creative video player.(the PSP has speakers too)

Last edited:

Galley

Website
www.galleytech.com
True, there is no way in hell a 1" speaker is going to sound good, (especially when space is at a premium). Take it for what it is, a way to hear the music without having to use headphones. The speaker in my LifeDrive gets surprisingly loud. Of course, they could never fit a speaker into a pencil-thin iPod.