"A Short History of Nearly Everything"

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

jh-retired

Hi all-

(I'm actually not used to *starting* new topics here, as an Administrator... ;) )

I can't call myself an Audible aficionado or anything (I'm actually just using another free month deal I found), but I must admit that -- being the math/science geek that I am -- I am THOROUGHLY enjoying A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. It is truly an incredible read/listen.

If this is representative of the stuff on Audible (I mean reader quality, of course---- I realise not all books/authors are equally enjoyable), I may have to consider getting a subscription, even on my (nonexistant) Student/iPodloungeVolunteer salary. :D

arsolot

I'd posted a reply to azdude's post earlier today. My earlier post is now deleted. Any idea why my post has been deleted?

arsolot

OK, thanks for pointing out that my post was deleted due to the vandalism of some small-minded person or persons.

I can't recall my deleted post verbatim, nevertheless, in response to azdude's original post:

I also very much enjoyed Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything and recommend it to anyone with a passing interest in the subject matter. I also agree that the reader is excellent. I also thoroughly enjoyed The Piano Tuner read by the same reader. This book is fiction, set in Burma at the end of the British Empire's expansion in Asia. Some aspects of The Piano Tuner will remind many readers of Conrad's Heart of Darkness.

jh-retired

Wow- As I recall it, that looks very close to verbatim :D, except you forgot:

"I live in Arizona too!" (Good memory, ey?) ;)

Sapper41

I'm listening to A Short History of Nearly Everything also, and I tihnk it is great. I love Science but dont know to much. I find it educational as well as entertaining. The only con is there is ALOT of names to keep up with. But other then that I love it.

easypete

Amazing book. I've listened to it 3 times now. I'm an Engineer, so I've studied some of these topics in depth, but it was neat to get the history of how some of these theories came to be.

The conclusion of the book was a little weak, and a lot of things were skipped, but very, very interesting.

ian241

How come I cant find it on audible? I really want this book! Any help help would be appreciated

arsolot

In Audible.com's site, I just search the term, "Bryson" and got a list inlcuding A Short History of Nearly Everything." I'm unclear why you can't find it also.

dordale

ian--

Where are you located? If the search that arsolot suggests doesn't turn up anything, it may be because audible doesn't have rights to sell it where you are. (I seem to recall reading posts awhile back that indicated that Bryson's books weren't available from Audible in the UK)

dordale :)