$9.99 Ain't bad

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Touchmyipod

Livin' & Lovin' in SoCal
Website
www.epk.tv
The last charge didn't bother me, and this time $9.99 isnt that bad. Adds some function if you need it.

Reactions? I myself, won't update. No need with the iPhone and all, and iPhone or not, I would still have kep mine jailbroken 1.1.4

Thoughts?

kornchild2002

$9.99 isn't a bad price but I think it sucks that iPod touch users are getting screwed yet again. The iPod touch is more expensive than an iPhone when it comes to the initial purchase. I know that the iPhone supplies Apple money over a period of time but that doesn't mean that they should abandon the iPod touch and make people pay more for their flagship iPod. I will probably pay the price as I didn't pay for the January software package. I still won't be happy about it but $9.99 will be a lot easier to swallow.

I just don't like the idea of paying for a firmware upgrade whenever iPhone users get it for free and firmware updates have always been free.

p3ezi

Not bad or is it.

I paid for the Jan.Software Update and it didnt do anything but put 5 weak apps. I'm going to keep my touch jailbroken. Bc apple seems like it isn't trying to anything for me and my touch except help Pres. Bush get money out of me. Keep the JAILBREAK ALIVE. Thanks all dev squads and I will start donating money for the real cause that's going on.

IknewIwasright

Not to sound stupid, but does anyone have a link to this information? Where do you go for the upgrade?

kornchild2002

The upgrade isn't out yet. WWDC (or whatever it is called) was held earlier this morning about 3 hours ago. This information came from Steve Jobs' statement while he was on stage. So they gave us some information about the update including price and features but they didn't specify when it is coming out.

anypats

A firmware update typically fixes bugs and stability. Software updates add functionality to current software. The $9.99 is a software update and not a firmware update.

This is common in a lot of products, not just Apple. I can upgrade the firmware on my Pioneer DVD burner for free to improve burn speeds and stability. However, if I want to upgrade the burning software I have to shell out the $$ for it.

Operating systems are the same way whether it is OS X or Windows. Bug fixes and security fixes are free. Upgrades to a whole new OS requires a bit of cash. Rarely do people ever complain about these things. But ask for $10 and people get all bent out of shape. This leads me to believe that it really does come down to the fact that it is free for iPhone users.

If you don't want access to the software store then don't upgrade. I can bet however that most Touch users are going to wish they had the App store when it's available next month.

Just remember if you want mobileme support you will need an extra $99 per year both Touch and iPhone users.

Last edited:

kornchild2002

Isn't Apple calling it Firmware 2.0? The current version is 1.1.4 (or something along those lines). That sounds like a firmware update to me. It is alright that Apple wants to come out with increased functionality and charge for it but don't call it a new firmware. Apple should have kept it as firmware 1.1.4 or even allowed people to upgrade to 1.1.5 for free and then called all these new features the July App pack or something along the lines. I could see paying for an app pack but not a firmware upgrade.

archurban

ipod adviser
Website
web.mac.com
well, it is not. if it is just firmware update, why Apple will charge from us? when you will get new OS 2.0 (I can say), you can get a lot of new features. I don't think that you will get push email, calendar, other function by just update. even App store is not will be free.

Zimmy

Apple will do the same BS as last time, they will allow you to upgrade to 2.0 but it will be a vanilla update to match numbers.
To get the functionality, you have to pony up the $10. Only in Apple's America.
That is what you get when the Touch is the red headed stepchild of Apple's iPhone.
iPhone, lots of revenue. Touch all the functionality but they can't bleed you dry daily.

The real question that I haven't seen an answer to:

If I never paid for the January update or never installed I should say, will this $9.95 update include those apps?

If so, I may have to actually do it.

PG4G

I bloody well hope not!!!

i paid good money

only to find I will have paid 3 times as much for the same functionality.

I suspect they will be separate keys, however.

PG4G

Ok, to clear up some obvious misunderstandings here... the firmware is a different issue to the software.

The firmware is a part of the software, but unlike the standard software, it is far more tied to the hardware, and is rarely altered (not as soft, and more hard but not rocksolid, therefore, FIRM)
The Software updates as you install them, they are all software. Software is the coding, the data, and firmware is that. The Software update, alters this firmware to boot your new OS, and installs the new version of OS X iPhone on your device.

Now... people throw around the word firmware thinking it refers to the Operating system. This is NOT the case. It refers to the code that negotiates between the hardware and the software. The Operating system is purely a software issue.

Both of these updates are tied together in one package called an ipsw file, or iPod (or iPhone) Software file.

As I stated. Firmware is a type of software, but software is not a type of firmware.

What is Apple doing?

Apple is preparing a new operating system with standardized apps and functions.

Think of it like Vista Basic and Home Premium. You buy the key for home premium and you get the features. Truth be told, it is all on the CD, everything, including Ultimate. But your key only unlocks premium.

Apple will provide OS X iPhone to you for free. This includes the Firmware, as it is needed to boot this OS. But some of the software features, like apps, will be locked away under that key. When you provide the key, the features activated by that specific key show up and work.

Apple can create any amounts of keys it likes, and just ask iTunes to boot them like they did last time.

(and no, it is the iPhone 2.0 SOFTWARE update)

Touchmyipod

Livin' & Lovin' in SoCal
Website
www.epk.tv
I am a touch owner, and an iPhone owner. Personally, I dont think its a big charge. I paid for the last update, even with my jailbreak. Apple doesnt force anyone to buy it, if you dont want the charge, dont buy the key to unlock the apps. I understand people frsutrations, but undestand, iPhone owners like me signed a contract stating we get updates with our contract with AT&T through there agreement with apple. iPhoners pay 60+ dollars a month to the companies involved. Touch users have everythign my iPhone has minus camera and a constant data connection. 9.95 to add some more functionality isnt that bad considering it adds to the device. Go ahead and bash, but overall people these days expect to much to be handed to them. I myself am included, but to get in a tizzy over a 9.95 update, when youre not forced to buy it, is a tad silly in this day and age. Yes I understand the gripes, but I also understand the reality of the situation. Pardon the spelling, on my iPhone, stuck in a car pool on the 101 Freeway : )

anypats

archurban said:
well, it is not. if it is just firmware update, why Apple will charge from us? when you will get new OS 2.0 (I can say), you can get a lot of new features. I don't think that you will get push email, calendar, other function by just update. even App store is not will be free.
Push email, calendar, contacts, etc. is through the new mobileme (previously .mac). Mobileme is $99 per year whether you have an iPhone or an iPod Touch.

The App store will be loaded free on an iPhone with the update or $9.95 for touch users. The apps themselves will range in price from free to whatever the developer asks for.

Website
www.ilounge.com
Let's also not forget that this is a major upgrade. If we compare the iPod touch to many similar PDA-style devices, upgradable firmware wasn't even an option.

For example, when Palm released Palm OS 5, you had to buy a new device to get it.

When Microsoft releases a major new version of Windows Mobile, you have to buy a new device to get it (sometimes even in the case of a .1 upgrade, in fact).

When Symbian releases even a new feature pack for an existing S60 device, you have to buy a new device to get it.

Most smartphones and PDAs aren't even software-upgradeable in the first place, much less for $10.