• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

9/11 Five Years Later.

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR
Status
Not open for further replies.

bootsie

How do you feel five years later, and how has your life changed?

I want everyone who lost someone that day to know that you are in my thoughts.

Life has changed for the entire world, and I am greatful for the support that everyone has given to us as Americans.

I have been listening to the radio today instead of my ipod so that I can hear the tributes.

Thank You!

I AM PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!!!!

bootsie

I would not call the estimated 10,000+ children who lost a parent that day a "select few".

Plus that does not even include the rest of their families, let alone the friends and acquaintances.

But thank you for your support!!!!

iPod Master

I don't really know why you would want to downsize the event. Why do you need to bring math into this?

.05% or not, many people were affected. Even though I was not directly affected, I was in 6th grade, and I was scared out of my mind. I was scared, and it did affect me, not to the same extent as some, but it did. And I'm sure there were many others just like me. People were emotionally changed. It changed security measures. It changed the way people felt when going on airplanes. It caused racism. People who tried to help are now suffering. A major landmark is missing from NYC. It caused fighting and war. It caused more lives to be lost.

Saying that a select few people were affected, to me, is silly.

LukeA

Website
luke.ament.googlepages.com
iPod Master said:
I don't really know why you would want to downsize the event. Why do you need to bring math into this?
Why do you need to make it more than what it is?
iPod Master said:
Even though I was not directly affected, I was in 6th grade, and I was scared out of my mind. I was scared, and it did affect me, not to the same extent as some, but it did.
I was in fifth grade. I wasn't scared. Why were you? It's irrational and paranoid to be afraid of something like terrorism. Living in fear is silly to me.

Sypher

transmissions94
Website
www.undergroundhiphop.com
LukeA said:
Life didn't change for anyone but a select few Americans.

The world isn't any different, you just began to see it for what it is.
I'm feeling tempted to agree... it's obviously been a poignant day.. then you remember, for example, the millions killed during the second Congo war (1,000 every day in 2004)

Last edited:

bootsie

That is what I heard the estimate was.

There were about three thousand people that died, and many of them had more than one child so it makes sense to me.

Waitingfornews

9/11 did change the world in a profound way. We're attempting to combat the ideology of terrorism. Hundreds of thousands of Americans were affected by the fall of the towers, pentagon strike, and the plane that was crashed into the field. I lost my naivity about the world. It's a darker place than it looks like and changes more than anyone cares to admit.

Last edited:

bdb

On the B side of life
The thing I always find difficult about 9/11 is that all deaths are tragic. Nearly as many Americans would have died that day of heart attacks...were their deaths not tragic? 101,537 Americans died that year from unintentional injuries...were their deaths not tragic? Is it proper to mourn a relative few peoples' deaths year after year, snubbing the others because they happened to die alone?

The terrorists wanted to wreak fear among the population (that's the point, isn't it?) and they were a resounding success. Most of us have been affected by the funk it brought upon the country, the goverment's "security" measures, and the war (which would not likely have been condoned as it was without 9/11). At this point I am more angry than sad. I'm angry at the terrorists for believing that mass murder is a "good thing" and in any way beneficial to their cause, and I'm angry at our government for its reactionary behavior.

Do I feel less safe now than in 2001? Yes, I am less safe...because I drive a smaller car. I don't feel I'm at a greater risk from terrorism because I don't believe I ever really was at any significant risk. There are far greater risks that worry me.

bdb

On the B side of life
Macromedia said:
Isn't it something like 12000 people die in the US each year from murder?
It was 17,732 in 2001. Its not in the top 10 causes of death. Far more Americans die from Septicemia. And far more than that die from diabetes.

Last edited:

LukeA

Website
luke.ament.googlepages.com
Forty-five thousand people starved today. Shouldn't that be 15x more tragic than 9/11? Or are their lives worth less because most of them aren't white and aren't in the US?

9/11 (and terrorism in general) pales in comparison to tragedies that occur every day. It's a pity that so many Americans don't realize that.

Last edited:

bdb

On the B side of life
Waitingfornews said:
9/11 did change the world in a profound way. We're fighting a war against terrorism. That's not a country or even a religious sect, its a cruel political tool.
Calling it a "war" is a cruel political tool as well. As someone who spent nine years in the military, it irritates me when politicians use the term "war" for something with no defined enemy and no defined end.

iPod Master

LukeA said:
Why do you need to make it more than what it is?
I was in fifth grade. I wasn't scared. Why were you? It's irrational and paranoid to be afraid of something like terrorism. Living in fear is silly to me.
I am not trying to make it more than what it is. It was an event that changed the nation. You can't deny that. To many American's it was a wake up call to terrorism, and that is why it had a great effect.

I was scared because my dad worked in the city. When I found out, I was given very little information, and had no idea what was going on, so I was scared, because I did not know if my father was safe.

Living in fear of terrorism is different than being scared. Living in fear of terrorism is like avoiding riding on airplanes, avoiding public places, etc. Yes, I agree that is irrational.

To me, 3,000 deaths is tragic. So is 10, and so is 1. Just because 15000 people may die from other things, doesn't mean that 3,000 does not matter. I realise that there are many other horrible events around the world. Like bdb said, all deaths are tragic. So yes, we know there are worse things going on in the world, but does that make 9/11 insignificant? No.

mnhnhyouh

Website
www.geocities.com
3000 people died of malaria today. 3000 more children died of malnutrition today. Nearly 3000 U.S. soldiers have died in Iraq in the war on terror. I bet the Iraqi's are scared.

Bin Laden still releases video tapes.

Oil prices are very high. The price of oil production has not gone up much. Oil company shareholder are happy.

I have no problem with chasing groups that use bombs on civilian targets. Buildings, bridges, electricity generation plants. .....

h

toothpaste

I saw this thread earlier today, but wanted to take some pictures first to show you all before conveying my thoughts. I usually agrue or debate people on many topics but this one I will not. I am going to say what I need, you take it whichever way you want. People ask me in conversation, "where were you on 9/11?" I tell them I was in New Jersey at work. It gives me the illusion, it gives me the peace it takes me away from the horror of that day. In actuality, I was standing across the street (corner of vesey street and west broadway) at what used to be the FBI building watching people fall out of the sky. People jumping from the burning building. Hearing the cries and screams from the people around me as we heard the impact of people hitting the ground. It makes me swell up in tears everytime, I'm crying right now. It was the most horrific thing ever, the images and memories haunt me for longer than I care to. I have sleepless nights or nightmares. I lost faith that day. Can't really say in what, maybe the government here or the people or just humanity in general but most importantly I lost a friend. Derrick Washington leaves behind a wife and children.

I have no conspiracy theories, I'm beyond the point of blame and hatred. All I have is sorrow and pain. bootsie asked how we feel. This is how I feel. My life is forever changed, I lost a friend, a wife lost her husband, children lost their father. I'm a rage of emotions. Sorrow, grief, disbelief. Everyone that lost some that day is forever changed. Please let us grieve in peace. My deepest condolences go out to everyone that lost someone from the bottom of my heart. Be strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.