• iLounge and the Discussion Forums are read by people in countries all over the world. The legality of DVD-to-iPod ripping will vary based on your country of residence. iLounge does not in any way endorse violation of the valid rights of copyright holders, and strongly recommends that you consult your country's copyright and fair use laws before copying any video content.

853x480

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Germansuplex

Question:

I've been using Handbrake to rip my DVD's for some time now, and have recently been using the loose anamorphic setting, which gives me a 720x480 file that displays in 853x480 format (on widescreen videos, anyways). The videos look nice on my Apple TV and play on both my iPod Classic and iPhone (probably won't work on the 5G, but I doubt I'll ever own one of those again anyways).

But iTunes packs theirs into a 640x480 file, and the videos look just as good (if not better) than my Handbrake-encoded 720x480 files.

I realize iTunes probably encodes from master copies rather than DVD sources, but that shouldn't make that big of a difference.

Anyways, what I'm getting at is how do I get a 640x480 file to display in 853x480? I've got Quicktime Pro and have tinkered around with a couple programs, but I always end up with a file that plays in Quicktime and VLC fine, but is distorted in iTunes, or a file that displays fine as 853x480 in iTunes, but not in VLC or Quicktime. I'm trying to get a universally-fine file with 853x480 display with an actual resolution of 640x480.

Any takers? *NOTE* My brain is limited to GUI, but I can go command line if someone can help me out.