80 GB 5.5g in black??

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Tekron

keepin'downtheunderground
I haven't had an iPod since the 3g when the front face had 4 led touch sensitive buttons (That design was and still is the best, imo. No moving parts...)

I loved that thing, but since then I've moved on to a 60 GB Iaudio X5. I've had this thing for years... dropped it, knocked it, loaded it, unloaded it. Still runs like a champ.. just have to replace the battery every now and then. But it got me thinking, it wont last forever and a player as rare/valuable as mine wont be easy to find again.

I have rockbox firmware on my X5 now and lo and behold.. the only other product that can do what I need is the 5.5g ipod (drag & drop, windows integrated mp3 syncing, high capacity hdd, great sound quality... but thats debatable with the ipod) with rockbox firmware, of course..

which leads me to my question..

Does anyone have a 5.5g ipod that is rockboxed? If so, do you like it?? I know I am asking on iLounge, but still want opinions. Also.. is this a popular model?? What do they usually go for w/ 80 gb hard drive? Condition, I suppose, doesn't matter since there are companies like iVue who make replacement shells... not the same case for products like the iAudio, harder to come by..

ipod rescue

Website
www.ipod-rescue.com
which one?

I haven't had an iPod since the 3g when the front face had 4 led touch sensitive buttons (That design was and still is the best, imo. No moving parts...)..[/I][/B]
Sorry to pull you up on that but the 3rd gen classic you are talking about has exactly the same problems as the later models because it does have a hard drive, usually 15GB, I have a working one still if your interested!.

Regarding which one to opt for, well personally i would go for the older Ipod video 5.5 with 80GB, the reason being is that if you get any of the nanos, you will not easily be able to repair it yourself as the batteries are soldred in.

The ipod Videos are a synch to open and spare parts are easily available at good prices.

The ipod Clasic 6th gen onwards offer very little more capabilities than the video and are a nightmare to open for a battery change or indeed any sort of work.

Ipod touches look nice but have limited storage for music, and you're gauranteed to need a digitizer replacement at some point from cracking the glass.

Just my opinion.