6th Gen faceplate on a 5th Gen ipod? Yep, it works. Here's how!

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

proud2deviate

I had a full report and procedure typed up, but the damn board logged me out before I hit the submit button, so it was lost:mad:

Here's the Cliff Notes version.

Subject - putting a 6th generation faceplate on a 5th gen ipod.

Reason? - Sexy aluminum faceplate + RockBox = :D*Woot!*:D

Problem - 5th gen faceplate has slots in the locking tabs, 6th gen doesn't. (see pic for comparison. 5th gen is black, 6th gen is silver.) Also note that the tabs with the screw holes are shorter. These have to ground down a bit.

Solution- Cut slots in the tabs. Dremel tool, hack saw, file, whatever.

Result- ipod generation 5.85, aluminum faceplate, running RockBox. Again, :D*Woot!*:D

Any questions?

Last edited:

Prozak

How hard is it to cut and grind down those slots? I have a 5th generation Ipod with a pretty beat up face plate and I was considering changing it.

proud2deviate

With a Dremel tool and cutting discs (I like the fiber glass reinforced ones,) it was pretty easy. The hardest part was getting them in the right spot. I jacked up one of my measurements and had to re-cut a couple, but it still worked fine.

With a file or hacksaw, I imagine it would still be pretty easy, just a little slower. But the aluminum is pretty soft, so you shouldn't have any trouble. Just remove a little at a time, and check it every once in a while to see if the screw holes line up.

miself

so where can I get a faceplate? Are those your original buttons?

ipod rescue

Website
www.ipod-rescue.com
I see no one is mentioning the fact that the 5th gen clickwheel is slighlty thicker than the 6th gen wheel and hence protrudes out of the 6th gen faceplate. Ok, if its for yourself i guess but i wouldn't want one that wasn't flush as it should be.
You can't use a 6th gen clickwheel wheel as they are different.

rockcaholic

where can I buy one of these, ebay? Send some links, please? I would love to do this with my ipod video. I looks amazing!

cjmnews

Staff member
You will probably not get any responses since the last post on this was 4 years ago.