• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

5th Generation Nano Will Have Mirror Back

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

XVI

Perhaps... and it'll have a 32GB flash drive, and a 64GB if we're lucky.

Jimmy97

I think you guys have lost sight of what it will have and are instead dreaming of what you want it to have.

Can anyone show me pics of the aluminum and mirror for comparison?

paranoidxe

I disagree I think the next iPod nano is going to be as thick as a dictionary because of the complaints of the 4th gen being too thin..and it'll be made out of oak.

Dim

Website
www.lemires.com
Yeah, imagine then if you scratched up the back of your ipod. Just get out the sander and some new stain finish and it's like new again.

jasoncordelle

Hot Dang, Stu...you've got it!

studogvetmed said:
Yeah, screw user replaceable battery. All we need as an easily maintainable back plate ;)
Now THAT is the attitude we need to be going to Apple with!!! :D

AmazingDM

Eric Lewis said:
1st = Mirror
2nd = Aluminum
3rd = Mirror
4th Aluminum

Thus 5th = Mirror

Enjoy
Both the Minis were aluminum too though
I think aluminum nano's are more popular

Regius

AmazingDM said:
Both the Minis were aluminum too though
I think aluminum nano's are more popular
I agree. Personally, I like them better to. I find the mirror backed iPods (I have owned some myself) have way too many visible scratches, blemishes, and fingerprints and what not, obviously because of the type of backing. I hated touching the backs of them when I used them..

Surf Monkey

Website
www.dvdinmypants.com
Regius said:
I agree. Personally, I like them better to. I find the mirror backed iPods (I have owned some myself) have way too many visible scratches, blemishes, and fingerprints and what not, obviously because of the type of backing. I hated touching the backs of them when I used them..

I like how the mirrored back ages, actually. I think the scratches, dents and dings give it character. Besides, you're supposed to upgrade your Nano every year anyway, so why not have some fun with it instead of coddling and fussing - which I'm not saying you in particular are doing, just to be clear.

But yeah, the brushed aluminum rules. I love the black aluminum face of my 160 gig Classic. It's finally durable. As much as I like the "weathered" look of the back of an old iPod, I can't stand scratches and dings in the lucite slab or on the screen.

Code Monkey

Surf Monkey said:
I like how the mirrored back ages, actually. I think the scratches, dents and dings give it character. Besides, you're supposed to upgrade your Nano every year anyway, so why not have some fun with it instead of coddling and fussing - which I'm not saying you in particular are doing, just to be clear.

But yeah, the brushed aluminum rules. I love the black aluminum face of my 160 gig Classic. It's finally durable. As much as I like the "weathered" look of the back of an old iPod, I can't stand scratches and dings in the lucite slab or on the screen.
What I would do, if I were Apple, is I'd split the difference. Stick with the portrait orientation but go back to the two part chassis and make both halves annodized aluminum, two colors, silver aluminum back, choice of colors for the front plate.

You could finally have an iPod nano that, theoretically, pleases everybody.

Surf Monkey

Website
www.dvdinmypants.com
Code Monkey said:
What I would do, if I were Apple, is I'd split the difference. Stick with the portrait orientation but go back to the two part chassis and make both halves annodized aluminum, two colors, silver aluminum back, choice of colors for the front plate.

You could finally have an iPod nano that, theoretically, pleases everybody.

I've often thought the same thing. Dumping the mirror finish on the back of Classic and replacing it with the silver that's used on the front would be cool. Choosing colors for the front face would be great too. I'd probably go with black on black, but other combinations would be nice. Either way, having a Classic with the durability of a Nano would fit my bill perfectly.

Unwinking Orb

Just goes to show what a tough job Apple have, because I cannot imagine EVER not wanting a mirrored back. They are just infinitely more classy and gorgeous than the annodized aluminum. Worst thing I ever did was 'brush' my 30gb photo. As soon as I did it I almost wept for the passing of my smooth (if a little scratched) back.

I think the Black Classic is a perfect mix, although the new slightly less dense black is nowhere near as nice as the old classic (The classic classic perhaps?). As for the silver Classic, it just looks cheap to me.

Orbster.

Shufflebug

studogvetmed said:
Yeah, screw user replaceable battery. All we need as an easily maintainable back plate ;)
Here's an idea.

Design them such that the batteries are attached and built into the back plate. So when it comes time to replace the battery, any entry level hack at any electronics shop will be able to pop off the back plate and replace both the plate and the battery both at once on the spot for a nominal fee, without having to do any extensive soldering jobs or anything like that.

ThisisCraigP

down for whatever
I would like for that to happen, the mirror backs on iPods make them look much more classy then the anodized aluminum. I don't think that Apple will do it, too many people like the anodized backs/fronts.