5G 60GB iPod destroys right earphone

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

hersman

Mine are ok

I have 60g white and mine is working perfectly fine. I keep the volume around 75% when listening to my iPod and have the EQ turned to None (but I read that whatever you have iTunes set to will carry over with the files and mine is set to Rock).

Mike Hersman

jimmy8742

I've had the right earbud problem happen to me to but I fixed it. This is what you have to do (i dont know if it will work for everyone, but it sure worked for me)

1. Take your earbuds off (unless you want your eardrums to pop)
2. Play a song with a lot of bass if possible
3. While the song is playing in the middle, put it to full volume and keep it there for about 10-15 seconds.
4. Then lower the volume and see if it works now

If it doesnt work the first time then repeat this untill it works.

If it still doesnt work then somethings seriously f***ed up.

KillJim

Website
www.zeromedia.co.nz
I mentioned earlier I had the same problem with my 4th Gen iPod, but I still wasn't convinced this was a widespread issue.

However, I just talked to my work mate who bought her 4th Gen iPod identical to mine in Austria (therefore obviously a different batch) - she also purchased hers 6 months earlier than I got mine.

I asked her if she had any problems and she said she had exactly the problem as described here also.

She moved to headphones like I did, sick of the Apple Ear buds killing themselves.

I assumed it was just an earbud issue but it's looking more and more like it's an iPod issue from the sound of other people's reports.

I would say this is widespread, judging by how many people have commented here in such a short space of time.

Xx Da Twig xX

Well, my left and right stock earphones crackle, but that's just because they suck.

Just "tested" my earphones, listening to the right one. No problems. I wouldn't mind getting a new ipod anyway though.

ilchymis

Website
plaza.ufl.edu
A few people have guessed - and it seems reasonable to me - that an erroneous DC bias in the iPod's output may be to blame here. I don't have a 5G iPod to test this theory on myself, so until someone plugs his or her 5G into an oscilloscope we may never know. However, assuming a DC bias is actually to blame here, there is one relatively simple fix that may protect your headphones until Apple comes up with a real solution. It's detailed on my web site (no ads, I just couldn't fit this all in a comment).

iLounge won't let me submit a URL, but go to www dot markshroyer dot com.

pmagid

A couple of weeks ago my 5G iPods right ear bud blew... I had the iPod for about a week at that point. I ordered a replacement on the web site and it came within a couple of days. Since then I have been using a pair of Sonys mainly due to comfort (or lack thereof) with the stock buds. Hear that.... I think thats the sound of the class action vultures circling. (Just predicting the future... Not encouraging it...)

emmcubed

Add me to this growing list. My 5G has gone through the right ear bud of two stock sets--the set that came with it and the ones that came with my wife's Shuffle at Christmas. Getting ready to request another replacement.

Russell_L

Just for the record, I've had zero problems with my 5G 30GB, which I've had for over a month. I've used the stock Apple buds maybe 30 minutes at most. I've done the vast majority of my listening with Senn PX100s, Sony MDR-CD1700s, and (lately) AT ATH-A900LTDs (very large phones), which I got expressly for the iPod. I've had these cans for a week and a half, and am listening to them as I type these words. Sounds terrific, too. Yes, I'm concerned about all the reports, but I guess I'm in denial :D or maybe I just think I'm one of the lucky ones with a good iPod :rolleyes:. (I guess I'm also a risk-taker. :eek: )

Anyway, I do wonder why it seems to take so long for the problem to manifest itself. Maybe I'm being naive here, but wouldn't this sort of problem show up immediately, or after having done something untoward to the iPod or headphones? It's strange that the problem would go away with a new set of phones and then come back after a while....

Russell

Quentman

Same deal with me as well. My right ear bud went so I tried to fix it but there was no visible problem with the wiring. After both ear buds went fuzzy I got a second pair and the same thing happend to them shortly after. 2 pairs of earbuds gone bad.

MetalManCPA

iPod Convert
Russell_L said:
... and (lately) AT ATH-A900LTDs (very large phones), which I got expressly for the iPod. I've had these cans for a week and a half, and am listening to them as I type these words. Sounds terrific, too. ...

Russell
I love my ATH-A900's - best sounding can not requiring amplification. Since my iPod usually goes portable, I don't think I'll carry the A900's with me.

amir_j

1) folks over on the head-fi site have tested it with multimeters- read results on there

2) I emailed the UK apple press office- [email protected]

unfortunately the women is an idiot and sent a stupid reply as below- ive sent another reply asking for more info and if she could tell me 100% there was no issue with stock earbuds

awaiting reply :mad:

Hi,

Thank you for your e-mail.

Unfortunately, as the headphones are a third party accessory then you
will need to contact the third party company for details of product
performance.

Kind Regards

Jennifer

Apple PR UK

On 22 Jan 2006, at 19:50, [email protected], wrote:

>
>
> Hi
>
> I was wondering what your response is to this thread, I recently
> became a member
> of ilounge and the users there have discovered that the 5g ipod may
> have a flaw.
>
> as an owner of very expensive UE super.fi earphones I now feel
> very concerned
> about using my earphones with an ipod. I was going to buy 5g video
> but now not
> sure.
>
> Can you guarantee my right earbud will not go wrong with use of your
> appliance???
>
> This was first reported at the below link and seems to be now
> spreading across
> the net (eg major websites such as talkaudio.co.uk, head-fi.com
> forums where
> people are reporting their own problems)
>
> forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?
> s=&threadid=144425&highlight=broke

Maxian7

apple earbuds

Wow. I have two pair earbuds with the right side going snap crackle pop. First pair came with the unit, started frying so I put them aside for my Grado 80's- no problems, Just got a new pair with the FM remote. Yesterday they started sizzling. Stupid me just thought it was cheap earbuds. Now what?- Will my grado's be the next to go? How many earbuds must die before Steve Jobs act?

my 5g ipod video destroyed my $200 sony mdr-nc50 noise canceling headphones. After like a day i noticed that my right earphone started to crackle, so i thought maybe i just got a bad pair of headphones, so exhanged it. i got the new pair then once again after about a day or two, i noticed the crackling noise on the right headphone once again. WTH my 5g ipod is destroying my headphones. Will apple do anything about this? and btw i dont crank up the volume on my ipod.

ArcticW

Just fixed my right earbud . turns out there is some black trim/ membrane thingy inside the earbud that someone in Malaysia or wherever the things are made at forgot to glue in properly.

Opened the earbud, stuck the trim back in , and back in business.....

Jason Allen

I tested mine( DC offset) with a meter ,like they are doing on head-fi. Mine seems to be just like everyone elses tested .4mv on both channels. I did get it to go up to 1mv just for an instant ,but that is apparently not a problem. It could even be my meter. I changed volume and skipped tracks ,everything else I could think of. I'm hoping its just the apple earbuds. That is no problem with me. I just don't want to blow an expensive pair. It doesn't seem to be wide spread for anything other than the supplied earbuds ,if even them.

tehcypress

Website
brokenfloppy.com
I also got a G5 iPod. I got it on Marin Luther King Jr Day, January 16th, 2005. I had not noticed any problems at all. After I came across this thread, I started paying more attention to the sound.

Today, while listening to a podcast, on my Logitech Premium Stereo Headset I noticed that I began loosing the right channel. I fiddled around with the cable and that seemed to fix it. However, I became afraid that it could damage the headphones so I switched back to the default earbuds.

While walking out to trow the trash away, i noticed noise in the right channel of the ear-buds. It seemed to be the same noise that a lot of people have described on this thread. Also, I think that my iPod auto reset itself, because when I first turned it on, it took a while, it displayed the Apple logo and all that stuff and then it went to the normal iPod menu. After that, I noticed that when you pause a podcast, and you turn off the iPod, it seems to not start from that exact place where it was paused but a few minutes before that, while still displaying the old time place.
[PS. The ipod was left plugged into the computer for a bout 24 hrs and then turned off before it started doing either of the two things]

Has this happened to anyone? Any resolution to the earbud problems?

Thanks a lot to all the people contributing to this thread.

Last edited: