5G 60GB iPod destroys right earphone

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

crash613

dtcarson said:
I usually pause before unplugging, sometimes going to 'sleep' and holding, depending on how long it'll be before I plug back in.
so doing this, you still had the problems? that sucks.. that is how i do it too

dtcarson

Senor Lounger
Well, I haven't actually had a problem with the earbuds yet. I don't use them all that much, and if mine were failing, I'll never know it, since some scumbag stole them, another set of big lots 'phones that actually worked quite well, and my wife's Tao XM2Go out of our car 7/4.
My concern is if the issue that allegedly plagues the headphones could affect my car speakers through a cassette adapter; but I don't know if the wacky noise I occasionally hear is due to this problem, my old cassette adapter, or cell phone interference.

thedodgyguy

Declined Lounger
dtcarson said:
What sort of 'misuse' could it be? I'll admit it's not a totally widespread epidemic, but it's happening often enough to be more than mere coincidence. Even disregarding all uses of 'cheapo' dollar tree headphones, and looking only at the Apple earbuds, it's happening too often. I don't think that it's an unreasonable expectation that a consumer be able to use the product, at a volume allowed by the product, with the official pack-in headphones.
It could even be down to poor QC in the Apple earphones. And as for especially Sony earphones, they fall apart on their own accord (and even a near-$3K Sony phone's earpads fall apart alarmingly quickly). I just don't think it's the iPod itself.

Last edited:

saglop

Capital R said:
So is this problem happening mostly in the stock iPod buds or in a wide "spectrum" of headphones?
It happened to my Sennheiser earphones (I forgot the exact model). I'm using the stock earphones right now and I haven't encountered any problems so far.

Excelsior

My right earphone on the stock earphones are starting to get crackling also. I am gonna send it into apple so I can get another one while its still in warranty.

Prof. D

dead right earbud

I went thru 3 pair of Sony earbuds in 1 mo. increments [right channel dying]. The was one lasted just past the warranty from Best Buy.
I called Sony and got them to replace and finally the last pair [from Sony] has lasted. Best Buy claimed I was the only one having that problem and, of course, so did Sony.

danilo

For what it's worth, I think that, if this issue is due to the ipod, it could be a problem with the series decoupling capacitor on the earphone's output. If this capacitor is shorted, this would allow DC current to flow thru the earphone's coils from the amplifier output. This would heat them up (the copper wire that builds the coils is *very* thin) and then, on the long run and if heaten continously for a long time, the coils could break and the earphone will stop working.

But this is just speculation.
Danilo

kylo4

Wow, I read loads of posts in this thread and I can't believe that so many people had this problem. I'm so paranoid something will happen with my iPod that I pretty much never take the earbuds out. Or walk around with it.

Juliela

So I'm not crazy.

I've had non-stop problems associated with my iPod blowing out earphones. For all of them, I found exactly what was described here - the left side starts out with crackling sounds, then the bass cuts out, and for some of them the left audio is intermittently completely lost. Plugging the earphones into another audio source shows the same problem.

So far, I've gone through 4 sets of iPod earbuds and one 3 month-old set of SkullCandy earphones. I don't listen to my music loud, so I doubt that's the problem. I also don't unplug my earphones while the music is playing.

What I have noticed is that I occasionally hear static crackling in the earphones even when my iPod isn't running, when I'm charging the iPod. Perhaps this is an issue?

Maybe these little earbud-type headphones are just too small to deal with any unusual electric circuit overload. Whether it's a static shock, or some other situation...

Have all of the failed earphones been the small earbud type? I'm wondering if the bigger earphones aren't as likely to have this problem.

I called Apple last week to see if I could get replacement earbuds and the guy I spoke to was quite "short" and said that I was SOL because I was out of my warranty period. I asked if it mattered that I was onto my fourth set with all the replacements, he very abruptly told me "no," even when I said that it leans toward a manufacturing defect. Nice.

How frustrating.

Edit: Not two minutes after I posted, I'm sitting here with my iPod not playing music, but with the charger plugged in (the iPod shows the fully charged battery on the display). And I get intermittent medium-range "Bzzzzz bzzzzzzzzzzzz" that sounds like noise. I somehow don't think that they should do this.

Last edited:

phantac

Luckily I searched the entire forum before posting a new thread.
As most of you I have the same problem. I currently have three headphones, one being the Apple In-Ear headphones, and two Sony's. The Apple works on both ears if I plug it into my laptop, however the left only works when used with the iPod. I recently bought one of the Sony's (about 4 days ago) and I plugged them into the iPod and the next morning they weren't working on the right side! I'm currently going to see if its the TV Out function but if it's not then I don't know what to do like the rest of you! :( I don't want to be listening to music in one ear, nor buying headphones every week.

kylo4

I had to send my nano back because it was breaking earbuds. I'm quite sure iPods were designed with the prospect of charging them with the earbuds in. The nano was made too tight anyway, but its just a really strange thing to happen.

phantac

I found a way to make the iPod play through both headphones, and that is to not fully plug in the headphones, It'll get disconnected from time to time but once you get it in the sweet spot it should be fine for a while. :eek:

Dannathrik

I've used up 6 pairs of earphones with this problem, except the right channel didn't crackle, it just went quieter than the left. 6 times this has happened! Coincidence? I don't think so...

And also, the right channel on my portable speakers, is starting to have this problem too!

We'd all better get something good out of this from apple...I could have spent that money on something better than an iPod and earphones ¬_¬

Toast.Theif

I've had this happen with my computer headphones, computer speakers, and my car speakers which I plug my iPod into thru a monster cable... weird this is the earbuds I use directly are fine

Toast.Theif

So what do we do about this? I think it might not just be the ipods but itunes too? or am I the only one with that problem?

[email protected]

ok so now I'm pretty much convinced that it's my ipod, just 5 days ago the right side of my sony in-ear headphones, which I've used for about 7 months, abruptly stopped working I thought nothing of it because it's happened to me before and I usually just buy a new pair when this happens, so I went and spent an extra 10 dollars on the more expensive sony in-ears (the white ones) and after 3 days the right side has also stopped working, what angers me the most is that both pairs don't even work on any other headphone jack such as the one in my computer. My question is that since I bought a 1-year warranty and I haven't used it yet, will I get a new ipod or if i take it to the ipod store will it be repaired free of charge? and it also angers me that 50+ dollars have been wasted on a defective product.

fayfay392

GOOD NEWS! Ok so i went to my local apple store yesterday and brought 3 pairs of broken head phones my ipod killed and the dude looked at it and plugged his fancy Bose earphones in and then said let me go to the back and get you a new one to resolve this issue, came back 2 minutes later with a nice, new, shiny ipod and a new pair of earphones and said sorry for the inconvience. :) :) :) :) :) :)