5G 60GB iPod destroys right earphone

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

divino

I've went to an electronics store and they also gave me a plausible explanation.
Impedance.

Next saturday (24 june 2006) I will go back to the electronics store and they will inspect my whole aPOD.

I'll keep you guys 'n girls informed!

iPee

I ReAlLy PeE
yeah mine too the right ear-bud is crakling and stuff i have to hit it to a wall so it stops...but then 10 min later it starts again worser. any suggestions on earphones?

BionicSephiroth

5 earphones, right sides gone

i don't know if anyone else has said anything about this already, because i am too lazy to read through 12 pages of this, but i found that yes, the right side does usually go out first BUT, i only got my ipod about 2 days ago. 5 earphones of mine have already gone out, but not with an ipod, but with my other Sandisk mp3 player, and even my stock sony earphones that came with my psp.

Also, i have a set of those regular headphones that go around the head w/o earbuds, and the right side still went out before the left side.

Who knows, maybe it's one big collusion between every single major headphone company to try to get more money, and those cheap 99 cent ones will outlast it :p

kpax

i have no idea you people are talking about, i run senn cx300s with 5G 60gb video and everything is fine so far. i ditched the Apple stocks asap cause they were simply crap. i bet the problem is in the crappy stock earbuds manufactuers provide because so far i have only seen problems on cheap/stock earbuds not upgraded expensive Hi Fi oriented pieces.

divino

If anybody can tell me the output impedance of the iPOD headphone out, then I am 90% sure it is the impedance.

All ears you guys blow have 16 ohm impedance, I think the iPOD has an output impedance of 32 ohm. But I can't find it anywhere...

Those who haven't blew their 16 ohm earbuds have had luck and didn't play their iPOD at high volume. The higher the volume to more current through the wire and if you're resistance is not so high cfr 16 ohm...kablamo!

So now only buy 32 ohm or higher impedance earbuds :)
Sennheiser has some of 64 ohms.

So far the iPOD earphone mystery ;)

Vavoom

Just had this happen to me today. It was working fine in the morning, I turned of the ipod to do a test and unplugged it from the headphone jack. Afterwards I plugged it back in and lo and behold, right headphone soundless. Not happy :( I've had my iPod Video for 6 months and 28 days and now I have to buy another pair of noise cancelling earbuds.

Last edited:

dtcarson

Senor Lounger
Could this happen through a cassette adapter? I've noticed some intermittent weird noise when using my ipod through the cassette adapter in my car, and while I would be miffed at blowing a set of painful apple pack-in earbuds, I'd be *####ed* at the ipod blowing my car speaker.

skippy2420

dtcarson said:
Could this happen through a cassette adapter? I've noticed some intermittent weird noise when using my ipod through the cassette adapter in my car, and while I would be miffed at blowing a set of painful apple pack-in earbuds, I'd be *####ed* at the ipod blowing my car speaker.
hmm... i was just going to ask the same question. sonys fizzled out, ipod ear buds did too. started to notice that when i use the ipod in the car my right front speaker crackles. this did not happen pre-ipod and i am able to turn the volume up more with a cd than an ipod before experencing crackling. if this is true, and ipods are blowing all these head phones out, and car speakers, couldnt this cause some kind of suit or apple replacing all of our ipods? please, someone who is a consumer lawyer of sorts, some body along those lines, please check this out. im a little afraid to use my ipod now and im sure all the other ipod users out there would appreciate knowing if the pod is actually killing off speakers. this could turn out to be a seriously major issue for apple and consumers.

dtcarson

Senor Lounger
This is interesting...
I'm reading reviews on CircuitCity.com for various accessories...
The Monster RadioPlay FM Transmitter looks like it plugs into the headphone jack, not the dock connector.

Now, he doesn't state which ipod he has, but this review is revealing:
"I have had this cable for approx. 6 months. It worked well for the first 4 to 5 months but then it started 'cutting out' the audio from the right speakers. Now, the music comes out the right speakers at about 1/4 the volume of the left speakers. The product appears to be in good condition with no flaws on it but there is something messed up internally."

http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/146838/rpem/ccd/productDetailReview.do#tabs

Certainly it *could* be the transmitter itself, but this syncs with what we're hearing here as well.

Skittel_30g

Seasoned Pro
i have had my 30gig video for about a month and one week my right headphone weren't working, but since then (about 5 days) they have been working perfectly. wierd. but i will be buying new ones soon

sahovaman

expert lounger
wow... this is crazy, all these people with the same problem, my 30 gig ipod killed my stock phones, a pair of sony's, and a sinhauser (or however you spell it)... the right earphone died on all of them... yeah thats deffenetly more than a coinsendence...

crash613

Just a quick question to those of you who have had their headphones ruined...

Do you generally pull the headphone cord out while the music is playing, or do you stop the music first?

i am wondering if one way or the other will make a difference.

Xalaxracer

WOW. This thread is so helpful to me, I have a 4G 40 GB iPod, the default ones blew on the left, and then I went out and bought the in-ear 40 dollar ones, and they blew on the left aswell and it was only a week later, i thought it was just me! and i only listen to my music at like 10 maybe 20% at loud places. i dont want to blow my ears out im only in high-school.

Last edited:

thedodgyguy

Declined Lounger
I still call misuse unrelated to the iPod or QC issues on th phones themselves combined with the 'me too' idiocy factor of the masses on seeing this thread. Using quality head/earphones I've had zero trouble. And so far, no concrete evidence to suggest a damaging DC offset.

dtcarson

Senor Lounger
What sort of 'misuse' could it be? I'll admit it's not a totally widespread epidemic, but it's happening often enough to be more than mere coincidence. Even disregarding all uses of 'cheapo' dollar tree headphones, and looking only at the Apple earbuds, it's happening too often. I don't think that it's an unreasonable expectation that a consumer be able to use the product, at a volume allowed by the product, with the official pack-in headphones.

crash613

I can't believe this thread has 255 posts yet no one seems to know whether or not they generally pull the headphone cord out while the music is playing, or do you stop the music first.

WMarkJ

crash613 said:
I can't believe this thread has 255 posts yet no one seems to know whether or not they generally pull the headphone cord out while the music is playing, or do you stop the music first.
depends on how I feel at the time. :)

dtcarson

Senor Lounger
I usually pause before unplugging, sometimes going to 'sleep' and holding, depending on how long it'll be before I plug back in.