$50.00 more for 26 more Gigs?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

faithfulFrank

ericboo- I hear ya!
I worked midnights in a jail as a CO 15 years ago....(left the sheriffs dept to go to the fire dept.)
Been a paid firefighter now for 15 years. I would have loved to have an ipod back then to use between jailchecks.....
I like my nano because I can listen to it at the firehouse....slips right into a pocket, nothing on the belt, etc.
Stay safe. Frank D.

BBallJoe12

I bought a Nano because I never could fill 20GB of music. Who possible would want that many songs. It's stupid. You listen to maybe 500 of them. Problem with the 20GB is the whole iPod is filled with crap that I don't want. I like to shuffle my songs and actually like each song. I also bought it because of its size and its easibility at the gym. I am sick of people saying, "Oh for only $10 more you can get 30 more GB." That's not the point. Those regular iPods feel to big in my pocket. And yes, I used to have one. The Nano is small, compact, and a very effective product.

Video iPod? Who would want to hold their iPod in their hand to watch a video? Point of the TV is to sit and relax. Actual movies on them would be pretty hard to watch that screen for 2 hours.

Last edited:

fk51785

Well ... after receiving my iPod nano on October 3rd. It was returned on yesterday (October 12th) to local Apple store. When the new 5G iPod came out yesterday, I thought I was going to be keeping my iPod nano but looking at their PRICE, I had to return my iPod nano. I paid $229 for my iPod nano and the 5G iPod is $269. Only $40 more, I get videos, bigger screen, bigger storage and I can use the new features in the iTunes 6.0. However one thing I hate ... it's big. I hate carrying around big stuff but I guess I had to go with the 5G iPod. iPod nano was small and I loved it, but video and other features on 5G iPod convinced me to ordered them. I did lose $24 as 10% restocking fee but I guess I am okay with that. Because I made about $35 selling iPod nano earphones on ebay from requesting service from iPod support. :p

havocidal

Website
www.havocidal.net
yodagreg said:
i'm sure the video ipod will affect nano sales. definite.

I'm sure the poor nano sales that everyone has heard of is the reason why the new ipods are released... take a look back at history... apple has never ever released a same product line 1 month apart... neither has it released new products that will undermine the sales of another product it is selling... but it is different this time round...

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
Just like other iPods never undermined the sales of the iPod mini, I don't think this iPod will undermine nano sales for the target audience. They sold 1 million nanos in five weeks. That is bloody amazing

havocidal

Website
www.havocidal.net
oh yes it will... true that they sold 1 million nanos... but go do a google search... they only met 20% of their target sales... ttz pretty bad... the gap between the mini and the ipods arent as huge as the gap between the ipod and the nano

u must remember that the nano is more expensive than the mini for the same space. there was still a significant price gap between the mini and the ipod then. but for the new ipod and the nano... itz only of US$50. Most ppl wouldn't mind spending $50 for 26gb more space... video support... better screen... the only ones who will be getting the nano will be the ones who seriously want something light cuz that is essential (i.e. for running.. etc). Other than that, the ipod sales will definitely surpass the nano sales.

teh-cut

Nano and Ipod buyers really shouldn't overlap or effect each other. if they do, it just shows the buyer has no idea what they want. Small flash compared to big video HD player. May as well compare a PS2 to a PSP

If I can hold 3 days of music in my nano, and experince tells me no apple ipod battery will last even 1 day without recharging into a computer, whats the point of holding my whole collection?

Two entirely different buyers. I don't wanna hold a brick to store all 55gbs of my music on me at any given time. Some do. They pay more for there experince :)

teh-cut

Nano and Ipod buyers really shouldn't overlap or effect each other. if they do, it just shows the buyer has no idea what they want. Small flash compared to big video HD player. May as well compare a PS2 to a PSP

If I can hold 3 days of music in my nano, and experince tells me no apple ipod battery will last even 1 day without recharging into a computer, whats the point of holding my whole collection?

Two entirely different buyers. I don't wanna hold a brick to store all 55gbs of my music on me at any given time. Some do. They pay more for there experince :)

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
mrdantownsend said:
I'd say that these kinsd of posts are really dumb.

I don't know about the rest of you but do you really care about what this guy has to say?

DT
Not any more than what I care about what you have to say, but I like to debate and exchange ideas anyway.

Havocidl, I'll have to google and find what you are referring too.

Remember that the original mini was only $50 alway from the 15 when it first came out and it still sold.

The nano did have a much harder time than the mini due to the loss of 2Gigs, of course, but has still been a strong seller.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that the nano will still sell, and sell well, perhaps not to some level of exceptations, but still well. The two devices are really marketing two different target groups.

havocidal

Website
www.havocidal.net
the original mini had 5 colours unlike the ipod with only one... this was one of the things that made it more popular.... the 2nd-gen mini then had over 20 hrs batt life which again made it more appealing than the ipod in that aspect... to top it up... it was cheaper and a 6gb came along...

i came from a mini and own a nano now... and i must say it is indeed a step backwards... true... there is colour screen... album art... and photo function in the nano... but the thing is that the batt life is so weak... that most of the time i don't even dare to touch the controls as the battery will drain really quickly...

bhauke

Ready for air time!
havocidal said:
oh yes it will... true that they sold 1 million nanos... but go do a google search... they only met 20% of their target sales... ttz pretty bad...
Hmmm. I think you have some of your facts wrong there. I read most of the Mac news sites and don't ever remember reading that Apple expected to sell 5 million nanos in one month. I believe the reports were that they could sell as many as 10 million by the end of the Christmas buying season. And I'm not even sure those numbers were Apple's.

Either way, I have a nano and I think it's a great device. I would like to have a 5G iPod too (just because I like cool toys), but the wife is blocking any moves I might have in that direction. :mad:

Butch

finiteyoda

i didn't even know the nano was having a sales slump... here in boston, it's pretty tough to get ahold of any 4gb units. I waited almost 4 weeks to get a 4gb black nano, i just FINALLY got a white one today (apparently the two previous shipments they got in sold out the very same day). Went to get some accessories... all the nano accessories are sold out except for the armbands :( the salesguy said they sold out the day they arrived.

altho, personally, i think if apple had switched release dates between the 5g ipod and nano, the tables would be turned. i mean, c'mon, the 5g is essentially a 'refined' 4g (more storage, less width, slightly bigger screen) with video tacked on (that's subpar compared to most pmp's out there, like the psp). the nano is way more revolutionary: they shrunk the full-size ipod by a factor of like 4 (or the mini by 2, however you wanna look at it) and you still get 1,000 songs.

i'm almost certain that if the nano had been released a month after the video ipod, we'd all be like, 'video ipod? yea, big whoop.' you have to hand it to the marketing guys: it's not everyday you generate this much excitement over what amounts to little more than a product upgrade.