40 GB Photo Question...

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

MoonlitShadow

I have a 40 GB photo that's only approx. a month old. It worked flawlessly up until yesterday. Now every so often while it's playing suddenly the iPod will randomly pause on it's own. Does anyone know what may have caused this problem, or what to do to possibly stop it from randomly pausing in the middle of a song? Has this been a known and common problem with the iPod photos? The reason I'm asking is I might be able to get a new one easily, but if this tends to happen with the iPod Photos I'll decide against getting the photo version again.

I also have an HP iPod, which is much older in comparison. I've never experienced this problem with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.:)

crooner

MoonlitShadow said:
I have a 40 GB photo that's only approx. a month old. It worked flawlessly up until yesterday. Now every so often while it's playing suddenly the iPod will randomly pause on it's own. Does anyone know what may have caused this problem, or what to do to possibly stop it from randomly pausing in the middle of a song? Has this been a known and common problem with the iPod photos? The reason I'm asking is I might be able to get a new one easily, but if this tends to happen with the iPod Photos I'll decide against getting the photo version again.

I also have an HP iPod, which is much older in comparison. I've never experienced this problem with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.:)
Have you tried resetting or, as a more drastic step, restoring your 'Pod?

Reset by holding down the action button (center of the click wheel) AND the Menu button at the same time for about 5-10 seconds. When you see the Apple logo come up on the screen you can let go. This will often solve any odd behavior but doesn't erase any data.

If this doesn't help, open up the most recent iPod updater from Apple, make certain you have the latest firmware (1.1 for the photo) and then click the Restore button. Note: this will erase everything from your iPod so backup any data you need.

If neither works then I’d recommend you take the option of swapping it for a new one.

Good luck.

Quasipodo

One thing I found, when I thought my iPod was apparently pausing at random, was that the headphone connector was loose.

You know that the iPod will pause whenever you yank out the headphone connector? Well I think the ipod detects a break in the circuit and triggers a pause. I have found that under some circumstances, like when my headphone cord is pulled a particular way, it probably breaks the circuit and triggers a pause too.

initially I had thought that something was wrong with my iPod, but since I have been able to replicate the effect, i've been more careful how the cord gets yanked (or not) and I haven't had that problem re-occurring.

Go ahead and try it out for yourself and see what I mean: just push the headphone jack firmly from one side to the other... and if you push it right, your iPod will pause. You probably just broke the contact for a bit.

MoonlitShadow

I know it took me a while to get back to this but anyway... I haven't gotten a chance to take it to the Apple Store yet, and actually have been testing things with it as well. It worked great Mon. - Thrus. of last week. It began the random pausing again Fri. and this past weekend. I turned and jiggled the headphone cable to see if it was loose, and it seemed pretty tight and seccure to me. However, you're right about something definitely being loose, because I discovered something strange over the weekend. I turned the iPod "off" (to sleep mode) after playing it for a while. A minute or two later I picked it up to move it, and when I turned it in my hand it right back turned on. The headphones were not in the jack at that point when this happened, and I didn't touch the click wheel at all. I gripped it by the sides, and the iPod was in a skin that covers the click wheel. When I noticed that happened I repeated the same process (turning it off to sleep mode, picking it up, and turning my hand). Sure enough it turned right back on with a simple twist of the wrist.

So, I'm not sure what exactly is loose but something is. Could it be the headphone jack even if it occasionally does this without any headphones connected? If not, anybody know what else could be loose?

Quasipodo said:
One thing I found, when I thought my iPod was apparently pausing at random, was that the headphone connector was loose.

You know that the iPod will pause whenever you yank out the headphone connector? Well I think the ipod detects a break in the circuit and triggers a pause. I have found that under some circumstances, like when my headphone cord is pulled a particular way, it probably breaks the circuit and triggers a pause too.

initially I had thought that something was wrong with my iPod, but since I have been able to replicate the effect, i've been more careful how the cord gets yanked (or not) and I haven't had that problem re-occurring.

Go ahead and try it out for yourself and see what I mean: just push the headphone jack firmly from one side to the other... and if you push it right, your iPod will pause. You probably just broke the contact for a bit.