• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

2006 iPods? Internet possibly?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

MattPaintballer

SLEEP NOW IN THE FIRE!!!
I wonder what Apple is cooking up for the 2006 holiday season? Maybe a widescreen iPod? 6 or 8GB Nanos? What do you think?

I for one think they SHOULD (and I hope they do) make a widescreen iPod, possibly PSP-esque or maybe like the Zen Vision (PSP-esque but with the left side cut off) and I hope they get internet/IM capabilities. Portable AIM while jamming to your favorite tunes! How cool would that be? Like the ROKR only not a complete failure. The click wheel is perfect for either an on-screen keyboard or, like the PSP, an on-screen cell phone layout.

I wonder if Apple knows about iPodLinux? If so, I hope they figure out that their games are rather redundant. They could put the same games they have now and add the games that are on iPodLinux! That would be sweet.

enjoisoad

out of all that i think the nanos Will come out and the games should

as for the keyboard i know i would get severly ####ed at scrolling from key to key. then again i hate text messageing on phones too but that was a huge sucess.

as for the widescreen if they do they have to remove their clickwheel because size is apple's biggest focous. and physicly you cant have a bigger screen and keep the clickwheel and theres no way apple will ditch the clikcwheel so dont bet on a bigger screen.

PimpyMicPimp

Canadian Lounger
The internet pod idea has been around for awhile, the only thing is that it would be cell phonish internet and I'm not a big fan of it. I think an internet pod would be cool, especially for downloading podcasts. Who knows, the people at Apple are genuis'.

duffy8245

you know you love me
I just posted about 6 2006-lineup concepts in the gallery (they're not up yet.) All of the models include internet, I think the next step for Apple is at least a wireless music streaming service.

mattalways2020

That would be a cool feature, but would be kind of weird having it in a n ipod. I would love downloading podcasts on my ipod, but if it does go internet I would hope it doesnt take away its simplicity and beautiful design.

duffy8245

you know you love me
same here, Apple has a great design, this is an amazing product; it's easy to use and it looks awesome

dock-connecting keyboard maybe??

Zap

Mac Zealot
THERE WILL BE NO NEW IPOD NANOA FOR XMAX SEASON!!!!!

the just made the Nano there not going to update it in 3months

jonnyk429

Website
www.thegizmoshack.com
2006 new nanos, a new generation of ipods, and that's all i can really think of. probably no internet though
I'm sorry but that is the two stupidest recommendations. They just came out with both last month! Apple has always waited for about a year until updating anything ipod.

duffy8245

you know you love me
um... 2006-2005=1, so if new iPods were released in 2006, that would be one year

we probably won't see much more next year, except added video capabilities on the nano, not because people would want it, but because they can

right now the lineup can't get much better, except for a 10-15 GB iPod i heard about, that would be designed similar to the mini, and higher storage on the 5th gen, as well as better battery on all. but as far as general features go, video is here and there is not much to look forward to until we get to the point where it is "in" to have an all-in-one (phone/PDA/PMP(portable media player?)/internet/e-mail/etc.) electronic device. but Internet, or atleast something similar to a wireless iTunes music download service or music streaming, is definetely on the horizon.

oh ya, my pictures are up, so go check them out!!!!!

MattPaintballer

SLEEP NOW IN THE FIRE!!!
They can increase the screen size by 20% and still fit the click wheel on the iPod.

That's a 3 inch screen. Not on par with the 4.3 inches of beauty on the PSP, but it's closer!

Last edited:

TheJosher

Music Is Your Friend.
Website
www.thejosher.net
I was trying to think of what I'd do with a internet capable iPod, here is what comes to mind:

1. Auto download of track info such as album art or lyrics
2. Auto download of weather, news, etc into notes.
3. Streaming internet radio (what'd be really cool, is if you could get Pandora.com to stream to your iPod.. that'd be awesome ;) )
4. Podcasts
5. iTunes music downloads. I probably wouldn't use this often, as I purchase my music elsewere. (Yahoo Music Unlimited, then use Tunebite to remove the DRM and put on iPod.. if you're curious.)

Anybody have any other ideas?

THERE WILL BE NO NEW IPOD NANOA FOR XMAX SEASON!!!!!

the just made the Nano there not going to update it in 3months
Read: 2006 holiday season, not 2005 :p

Josh

bluehoo

I think the next most likely upgrade is to the shuffle. For starters they would make it available in black and white, which would make it consistent w/ the rest of the current line-up. I don't think they can up the memory too much because it would take away sales from the Nano, so possibly they would reduce it to one size, 1 GB for $99.

CaptainInsano

I would love to be able to edit photos right on the iPod. Another thing is that they should incorporate PictBridge onto the iPod so you can select and print pictures using any compatible PictBridge printer.

Internet would be cool, but as another poster said, the reason the iPod is great is because it's so simple. Adding Internet for the 6G would be the wrong move IMO.

jamesr

Michael16, That is a good idea. I like it: synching the lyrics with the songs. They could put a bouncing ball on it that hops from word to word.

Fergi

Sexy Lounger
Website
www.theweaselpit.com
If Apple can incorporate a simplistic version of iTunes on the iPods, can you imagine how much money they'd make? It wouldn't be iPod + iTunes anymore, it would be iPod = iTunes!

Bah, that will never happen, but it would be a pretty neat idea.

-Chris

iPoddersYOUnite

MattPaintballer said:
I wonder what Apple is cooking up for the 2006 holiday season? Maybe a widescreen iPod? 6 or 8GB Nanos? What do you think?

I for one think they SHOULD (and I hope they do) make a widescreen iPod, possibly PSP-esque or maybe like the Zen Vision (PSP-esque but with the left side cut off) and I hope they get internet/IM capabilities. Portable AIM while jamming to your favorite tunes! How cool would that be? Like the ROKR only not a complete failure. The click wheel is perfect for either an on-screen keyboard or, like the PSP, an on-screen cell phone layout.

I wonder if Apple knows about iPodLinux? If so, I hope they figure out that their games are rather redundant. They could put the same games they have now and add the games that are on iPodLinux! That would be sweet.
ok im sure all of you guys are stupid, please explain why you need to instant message on a freaking ipod? how are you gonna type with a scroll wheel, and where would they put a key board? i mean do you idiots think? also if you want music and aim and internet so bad, invest in a rokr.

Poi-Dog

Website
www.poi-dog.net
Re: Re: 2006 iPods? Internet possibly?

iPoddersYOUnite said:
ok im sure all of you guys are stupid, please explain why you need to instant message on a freaking ipod? how are you gonna type with a scroll wheel, and where would they put a key board? i mean do you idiots think? also if you want music and aim and internet so bad, invest in a rokr.
I have to agree - I really don't understand why anyone would need to add IM or keyboard functions to future versions of iPod. It would change the iPod to yet another PALM type of product.