2 x iPod classic 160GB, syncing different songs (same library)

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

linleyw

Hi,

I read as many threads as I could before posting, so apols. if this has been covered.

I have 2 (3 actually) iPod 6/7 Gen 160GB, this thread prompted by my latest, which was bought sealed and unused (eBay unicorn!) last week.

I have an iTunes library of 3700 songs.

One iPod syncs 1700 songs from the library (but not the full 3700)

The newer one only 658 songs!

Incidentally when I try and restore, I get the "files in use by another application" message, likewise when I hit "eject" on iTunes.

My PC (Windows 10) is authorised with iTunes
I have turned off Malwarebytes and Windows Defender
I have uninstalled and deleted all McAfee software
I have tried enable disk use, I have tried disk use disabled
I have tried manual select and I have tried manual select disabled
Sync entire music library is the default
I have tried with "convert higher bit rate" enabled and disabled
I have troubleshooter'd the iPod (F drive) through windows, no issues detected
I have done disk diagnosis through the iPod, no issues

I think that covers most of the hints I was able to find on the threads.

So I have one iPod with 1700 songs (barely acceptable) and another with 658 sons (unacceptable) from the same library of 3700+ songs..

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

cjmnews

Staff member
Most of the threads with iPod Classics are several years old. So not all the tips will be useful.

3700 songs should be around 35 GB so space shouldn't be an issue if they are actually that size. Based on the tracks synced, the first one is getting 15 GB (like a 3rd gen) of data, and the second one is getting 5 GB (like a 1st gen). Does Windows see each iPod as 149 GB drives? If there was a space issue, then iTunes would automatically switch to syncing Selected playlists, artists, albums and genres, and you would have a playlist created for you that contains a small amount of your library that fills the iPod. I don't think you have this issue, but check anyway.

Do you have 2000 songs unchecked and have the Setting of Sync only checked songs and videos selected? That would cause this.

Are you plugging them in at the same time? They could be interrupting the sync of the other one due to drive letter hijacking (the second one plugged in takes the drive letter of the first one). Mapping them to specific separate drive letters would allow both to be plugged in at the same time. (P: for Primary, S: Secondary for example). This will be really problematic if you also have a USB hard drive with the same drive letter, especially if this is your iTunes storage drive. I think this is the most likely causing your problem.

I don't see any mention of different cables or ports. Sometimes a short in the cable can connect enough to start the sync, then get disconnected mid-sync. If you are using non-powered hubs or connect the iPod USB cable to your keyboard, that could also cause sync issues. Try a direct connection, maybe a different port.

The Restore message is usually McAfee or other virus scanner checking the drive. Waiting a bit should allow the process to finish. My guess is 10 minutes.

linleyw

thanks for you reply.

Both iPods are recognised as 149GB

I have tried both methods - selecting artists and albums for the "sync only checked.." method, and I've tried "sync entire library".: same result on both.

One interesting anomaly - when cycling through various options, such as "enable disk use" and "convert higher bit", when switching selection, the potential memory used bar can change to 80MB audio, but when I run the selection, no change!

I only ever connect them individually, never both at the same time.

No USB hard drive

Both iPods show syncing process, then "sync complete". They don't time out or error message (other than when trying to eject or restore "cannot as files in use by another application" I'm only using original apple multipin cable (pre-FW models) direct to my PC.

The weirdest thing is that one pulls 1700 tracks, the other 658... if they both downloaded the same amount of tracks, I would be led to conclude that my library or file locations are corrupted..

I'm not particularly techie, but assume logic should prevail, and for both iPods to sync a different number of songs is .....illogical

cjmnews

Staff member
Good the sizes are correct.

Your system may still be using duplicate drive letters. I would still map the iPod to a new drive letter, each one different, and higher than F. Use Computer Management, inside of that use Disk Management. Right click the iPod choose Change Drive Letter and Paths then click Change then use the drop down to select a new letter then click OK.

On my system I saw Windows 10 show my Nano and Shuffle both as drive G. iTunes could see both, but I guarantee the sync would fail.

Corrupt track could be the cause, if they load in different orders. You could watch the sync to see if the same track is at the end of each sync. I really didn't want to go down this path until we tried the easy fixes.

You should try a different cable, just in case.
If that does not fix it, a different port.

linleyw

OK, have followed as above, including different port and I did of course restart windows after changing the drive paths

The older is I:. the newer is J:

I do, confess get an error message "could not load as.... could not be found" when I sync BUT if my library was 100/1000/3000 songs fewer than I thought, that would apply to both iPods.

I have resync'd both, separately. The older one had 1700 tracks yesterday, now 1919 tracks! The newer one still sticking at 658 lol

cjmnews

Staff member
That error is not good. That usually means that songs that iTunes had have been moved or erased from the drive.

Have you tried to play one of those tracks in iTunes? It should ask you to locate the file, and if you navigate to where the file lives and select it, the song will be able to be synced again.

If you have a lot of songs that have been moved, then this could explain the huge difference between iTunes library and the sync with the older iPod.
Fixing all of the missing links to songs would help immensely.

The steps to see all of the missing tracks are:
  1. Create a new normal playlist File->New->Playlist name it Good
  2. Click on Songs in the left column of iTunes under the Library section.
  3. Click on the first song, hold Ctrl and Type A to select all the tracks.
  4. Drag all the songs and drop them into the Good playlist.
  5. Create a new smart playlist File->New->Smart Playlist
Rules:​
Checked Match music for the following rules
Playlist is Music
Playlist is not Good
Checked Live Updating
  1. Click OK
  2. Name the playlist Bad.
All the music in the Bad playlist is what iTunes can't find the location for and these tracks can't be synced until the correct location is found.
If lots of music was moved to a single location, you could find the location of 1 track, and when iTunes asks if this is the location to use to link all missing tracks, answer Yes.

If lots of music was moved to many locations, you'll need to play each song in the Bad playlist and locate each one individually.

linleyw

hmmmm there are 3297 songs in that playlist, and hitting a few at random, I can't locate any individually, although I have found non-linked locations, .i.e 1GB HDD (D:)

cjmnews

Staff member
If you look at the Song Info (Right Click) and go to the File tab, the song location there is the correct location for the track? The file just seems to be missing?

Or the path is wrong, for example you see it says C:\Users\linleyw\Music\iTunes\<Artist>\<Album>\<Song Name>.<extension> when the track exists on D:\Music\<path\to\the\track>\<Song Name>.<extension>?

If the file is missing from the correct location, then restore a backup of the song and all should be good. Though you may want to check the drive for errors (Event Log, errors about the hard drive failing)

If the file is on a different drive, then using the locate button and navigating to the location where it can be found will enable the sync to find it again.

If the songs are only on your iPod (bad situation) we can pull them off and you'll have the 1700 from the one with the most songs. The steps are here:

First allow hidden folders to be seen:

• Open the Control Panel in Windows 10
  • Open the File Explorer Options
  • Click on the View tab
  • Select Show Hidden files and folders and click OK.
Get the files from the iPod into iTunes

• Connect the iPod to your Windows 10 computer
  • Open iTunes if it did not open automatically, put on left side of screen
  • Open File Explorer, put on right side of screen
  • Navigate to the iPod drive
  • Navigate to the iPod Control folder
  • In the Search bar of the File Explorer type: *.m4a OR *.mp3 OR *.m4p
  • In the results, select the first track and hold Ctrl and type A to select them all
  • Drag the tracks from File Explorer and drop them onto the Library section of iTunes.
  • Wait for the import to complete
  • Click on Songs section of the Library in iTunes, you should see your music.
  • Music with Unknown Artist or Unknown Album need manual updates. right click each one and choose Song Info and fill out the data and click OK.

linleyw

Thanks - your time is very much appreciated. I will go through this at the weekend

linleyw

Ugh - don't get mad at me - not sure if I've made it better or worse...

I re-downloaded a load of stuff from Amazon Music, then copied it from C: to D: (the iTunes source is D:), then copied my whole C: "Itunes Library" to D:, hoping that it would do the trick, then I copied all of that back into iTunes via "add folder". I ran "organises files" from there, we will see

I then went through the "good"/"bad" scenarios you mentioned and I have... over 3k tracks (library now shows 5111).... of course, when I come to check them, it will be 685 tracks and 5 dupes of each lol

cjmnews

Staff member
Time for some clean up. That will take a while.

linleyw

Well, with your kind help I now have more tracks on both than ever before, so thank you very, very much.

3000+ on the newest, 2762 on the other (I still don't understand why each does not have the same number, but I'm prepared to accept that is just another binary mystery)

cjmnews

Staff member
Well, syncing doesn't happen in the same order for all devices, and if a track is already on one device it will remain without syncing. If you have songs that are still in the Bad playlist. then you could have the sync stop early for one iPod.

You will need to delete and recreate the Good and Bad playlists to see how many missing tracks remain to be found.

Once you can get the Bad playlist to 0, then we would need to look at other possible issues. Differences in sync preferences (only checked is on in the second iPod and off on the first iPod, podcasts, videos, music videos, audiobooks, other options), or corrupt song files or comparing lists of songs to see what the differences in the songs are. 238+ songs seems like a lot of difference between the 2 and I would want to fix it.

Let me know if you want to continue.