2 iPods need iTunes BUT

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Tommy5

iTunes was working great holding 40 GB of teaching/music. But :(

while I loaned my desktop, Windows 7 ultimate, to my friend while

I was away, an automatic iTunes update or two or three occurred

(I was gone for 6 months). Also while on loan my PC crashed and I

was left with this problem. I have a backup, but with it iTunes

can't find the actual music that goes with the playlists listed

on the left pane. Here's the details:

I have a separate backups of several dates of the .itl and the

.xml files, but no matter what version of iTunes I download,

these data files show me only the playlists but don't tell iTunes

where to find the music that matches them. My iTunes Music folder

is 40 GB large. So, they are in there somewhere because I always

copy the source file when I add them into iTunes.
Playlists are all there on the left but the music on the right is

not placed under the right playlists. I think the iTunes version

was 10.7 or 11.3 that last worked but now downloading those and

using those saved .itl and .xml files won't fix this problem.

I've tried every combo I can think of but no success. I'm missing

40 GB of great teaching and music!

I've searched to find someone who knows how to look into the XMl

file to see what ver. of iTunes it matches with but so far no

results. This is so frustrating.

I'm sure someone a lot smarter than me knows how to fix this---

Pls help.

I've also tried several times to join the Apple iTunes forum but

cannot get registered as a user. Sign up page keeps asking for

info I've already typed in, so I can't post there.

cjmnews

Staff member
Actually the ITL file does tell iTunes where to look for the Music files.
But if the files are not located there (in the EXACT location) iTunes will not find them.

You say you had backups of the ITL and XML files. Did you have a backup of the iTunes Media (or iTunes Music) folder? That is the most likely place the files would have been located. They could have been located anywhere on your computer if you choose to manage your music that way.

You can look at the size of your backup and if it is less than 40 GB, then you didn't get the music backed up.

Your options are:
1. Search for the files.
- Open Windows Explorer, using the search mechanism try typing in the first words of one of the track names you are looking for that does not seem computerish. Don't use "System" or "Log", try "Odds Are" or "This Little", song names you see in iTunes.
- If some of them come up (like they were restored from a backup) then right click one and choose Open File Location. This second Windows Explorer window will show you the directory where they are located.
- Open iTunes, locate that song file, right click on it and choose Get Info. When iTunes asks you to locate the file, then you click the Locate button and navigate to where the second Windows Explorer window is showing you the file is located. Click on the song file. Click OK. Then iTunes will try and link up the rest of your library based on the pattern of the path.
- Play songs in iTunes to see which worked, which did not. Repeat search and locate for the missing songs. Come back and I'll give you short cuts to finding tracks with missing songs in iTunes.

2. Revive the Windows 7 drive
- You say the computer crashed. Do you still have the drive? Have you tried to put it in your new computer (assumption on my part) to see if you can access the data on it?
- If the drive does not work, try to revive it with SpinRite software. Yes you have to buy it, but at least you'll get your data back.
- Once revived, either boot to the drive, or connect it as a secondary drive in the new computer. Locate the music files (Typically C:\Users\<loginname>\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media for old iTunes installations like mine, iTunes Media is called iTunes Music). Copy the iTunes Media folder from the old drive to the new computer iTunes Folder.
- Open iTunes see if the songs play. If so, you should be done. If not, then use the Search method above to find one, see if iTunes can find the rest.

3. Recover from iPods (I just noticed the subject said you had iPods)
- You didn't mention iPods in the post. Do they have all of your music? What kind of iPods are they (Nano, Classic, Touch)?
- There is a way to recover music from them using iTunes, BUT you lose your playlists. Basically you will be rebuilding your library from the song files on the iPods.
- We have an article on that. http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/copying-music-from-ipod-to-computer

Post back errors and issues you run across. We'll help out more as needed.

Last edited:

Tommy5

Actually the ITL file does tell iTunes where to look for the Music files.
But if the files are not located there (in the EXACT location) iTunes will not find them.

You say you had backups of the ITL and XML files. Did you have a backup of the iTunes Media (or iTunes Music) folder? That is the most likely place the files would have been located. They could have been located anywhere on your computer if you choose to manage your music that way.

You can look at the size of your backup and if it is less than 40 GB, then you didn't get the music backed up.

Your options are:
1. Search for the files.
- Open Windows Explorer, using the search mechanism try typing in the first words of one of the track names you are looking for that does not seem computerish. Don't use "System" or "Log", try "Odds Are" or "This Little", song names you see in iTunes.
- If some of them come up (like they were restored from a backup) then right click one and choose Open File Location. This second Windows Explorer window will show you the directory where they are located.
- Open iTunes, locate that song file, right click on it and choose Get Info. When iTunes asks you to locate the file, then you click the Locate button and navigate to where the second Windows Explorer window is showing you the file is located. Click on the song file. Click OK. Then iTunes will try and link up the rest of your library based on the pattern of the path.
- Play songs in iTunes to see which worked, which did not. Repeat search and locate for the missing songs. Come back and I'll give you short cuts to finding tracks with missing songs in iTunes.

2. Revive the Windows 7 drive
- You say the computer crashed. Do you still have the drive? Have you tried to put it in your new computer (assumption on my part) to see if you can access the data on it?
- If the drive does not work, try to revive it with SpinRite software. Yes you have to buy it, but at least you'll get your data back.
- Once revived, either boot to the drive, or connect it as a secondary drive in the new computer. Locate the music files (Typically C:\Users\<loginname>\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media for old iTunes installations like mine, iTunes Media is called iTunes Music). Copy the iTunes Media folder from the old drive to the new computer iTunes Folder.
- Open iTunes see if the songs play. If so, you should be done. If not, then use the Search method above to find one, see if iTunes can find the rest.

3. Recover from iPods (I just noticed the subject said you had iPods)
- You didn't mention iPods in the post. Do they have all of your music? What kind of iPods are they (Nano, Classic, Touch)?
- There is a way to recover music from them using iTunes, BUT you lose your playlists. Basically you will be rebuilding your library from the song files on the iPods.
- We have an article on that. [comments/copying-music-from-ipod-to-computer]Copying Content from your iPod to your Computer - The Definitive Guide | iLounge Article[/url]

Post back errors and issues you run across. We'll help out more as needed.
Great response, thanks.
You wrote:
I have made a habit of keeping the iTunes Music file on a separate partition then pointing iTunes to that file using preferences>advanced.

I will have to be gone on a trip from tomorrow until the 25th so I will copy your instructions so I can study what to do and get back to this need next week. I appreciate your willingness to help me.

Tommy5

My problem description was confusing - let me start over.

I have about 40 GB of teaching and music from the 2013 to 2014 time frame in an iTunes music folder. That folder has gotten separated from the .itl and .xml files that allow iTunes to present the media within playlists.

Since I don't know the version of iTunes the music folder was made in i'm stuck. I think it was late 10.7 to 11.? but that's just a guess. So, how do I go about rescuing my valuable music and training -- if that's even possible?

I wish I could go into the itl file I have and determine what version made it then download that iTunes ver. and put it all back together. Possible?

Yes, I have two iPods but no they don't contain more than a small part of what I need to recover, about 3-4 GB each and with similar content.

cjmnews

Staff member
You don't need to know the version of iTunes for music files. Nor do you need the ITL or XML files.

All you have to do is import the song/teaching files from your hard drive into your existing iTunes. You may need to update tags after the import if they were MP3 files and changes to tags like album and artist were made without using the Convert ID3 command to write the changes to the song files.

The ITL/XML files are only needed for listing all content in iTunes, playlists, and MP3 updates that were not written out to the ID3 tags in the song files.

Tommy5

I was told the itl has to match to separate songs into playlists so they all make the album. No? Same with a book or a teaching using tracks. No?

cjmnews

Staff member
The lack of the ITL file means your pre-existing playlists are no longer available.

The songs should have the basic information such as Artist or Album embedded in it. Though it is possible that some MP3 files will not have this information, but you can add it in with the Get Info window, then use the Convert ID3 command to write this data to the files permanently so you don't have to do it ever again. Using version 2.3 is the most compatible ID3 tag.

Same with books and other tracks. All that information should be in the track itself. If not, you can add the information. Once you have the Album and Artist information put in, then they should be in the albums you expect.

You can create playlists as needed after the ID3 tags are complete. Playlists could be album related, but they don't have to be. The original playlists you had are lost with the lost ITL file.

Tommy5

Good news, I do have the old itl file but problem is I've never found the right ver. of iTunes that it would work with. How can I use it to harmonize my extensive playlists and with the Music folder with the 40 GB of music and teaching files/books?

I'm going to now try to import the music files into ver. 12.3.1.23 as you said.

cjmnews

Staff member
If you have the old ITL file, and the music files are located in the same place that you had them in when the ITL file was created, then you should be able to open it with any iTunes version that is the version that made it or newer.

Typically the ITL file is named iTunes Library.itl and is located in the Music\iTunes folder.
Putting the ITL file there, iTunes should open it by default and you would get your playlists back.

Play a track or 2 to verify it can find them.