128 kbps, still not good enough?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Mina

ipodlounge beaver
Hya!
At the moment i'm using cruddy apple stock earbuds and have a little dilema i thought you fine folk could help me out. Basically Nearly all my music is at 128 kbps quality and i'm thinking about getting some canal earphones such as the Etymotic 6i's (pic below).

Will it be worth getting these quite expensive phones if the quality of music is only 128kbps? Will they make their $120 worth of difference? Oh and onther question for all those in the know about the 6i's. Nearly all my music is either rock/punk and the occasional country (joke) how do these things handle the bass?Btw i apologise if this subject has been brought up before. Thanks in advance,

Mina.
(ps thought i'd attach an image of those 6i's, no reason really just pure 100% uncut unadulterated eye candy :) And also a picture of me, taken about 30 seconds ago becuase i'm REALLY BORED :) Enjoy

"My she IS fine..." Outkast

Attachments

Last edited:

Hammrtime

Extreme Lounger
128 kbs might be a little to much compression when listening through Ety's or a higher end IEM,you will probably hear some artifacts at that bitrate. I am mostly using 256kbs ACC.

The Ety 6i's are a really nice set of earphones but,from what i've heard might be a little lacking in the bottom end. with the type of music you listen to,You might want to consider the Shure e2c or e3c.

Hammr

kauffee

I think you'd be better off the Shure E3c if you're planning on listening to a lot of 128 stuff. My Ety experience is with the ER-4P, but most people seem to agree that the 6i still has the same Ety sound signature. I found that 128 was practically unlistenable with the ER-4P. In fact, even 192 was kinda iffy on a lot of songs. The E3c is far better at covering up compression due to it's overall warmer sound, I think.

It's not that stuff will really sound bad with the 6i... but if you listen to the same song in 128 vs. 320 or even 192 VBR, you'll hear a big difference... especially in the bass and midbass region and the highs will be less metallic. This isn't so much of an issue with the Shure line because of the big mid-bass and midrange hump.

Mina

ipodlounge beaver
I guess its a shame nowhere nearby sells them, then i'd be able to see for myself if there would be any distortion. So i guess the shure e3c's are the better option? i'll have to research into them a bit then.

Any other earphones people think would suite my music taste? Anyone have any good experiences with the etymotics at 128 kbps? I guess i really wanted people to say it wouldn't make a difference, because i love the looks of them..... sobs.

Mina.

RNELSON

Ultimate Member
get sony ex51

i had the shure e3c's. they gave great isolation, the comfort was alright although extended use with the foamies hurt my ears and they were annoying to put in and out. it was annoying when someone talked to me to take them out and then put them back in. i recently bought sony mdr-ex51lps and am satisfied. they cost 40 bucks at bestbuy, MUCH cheaper than the e3s. (btw i sold the e3s on ebayfor 110 after buying them for 130). the 51s have a good bass, are much more comfortable and easy to put in and out and have a shorter cord.

i didnt notice that big of a sound quality difference worthy of 130 dollars so i sold the e3s. the sonys have good bass and i think the sound is good. i used 128aac with my shures, so maybe that was the problem put when i compared lossless to 128acc they sounded basiccally the same with my e3s. (maybe because it was a metal song the instrument precision just isnt there...i dunno?)

i recommend the 51s, but i dont make your decisions for you

thepiecesfit

i prefer EAC encoded 192 Kbps VBR mp3s over 192 CBR AAC which sounds like a mono radio on my shure e5c's , the mp3 sounds closest to CD in my opinion

Mina

ipodlounge beaver
Thanx for all the info guys, but its now come down to either the shure e2c's or the etymotics 6i's. So if anyone can give any ounce of information about their experiences with either headphones, or can compare both, I would be greatly apreciated. I've been looking around these forums with little success because the information i want is kinda specific to my rock taste, and 128kbps music quality.

Also if anyone knows of some other headphones around the $100 mark that would be able to compete with these 2 then hit me up with the information and i will gladly include them into the equation (in my head). Thanx so far guys you've really been a priceless guide in the unkown, well for me anyway.

Mina.

Attachments

kauffee

Doesn't quite make sense Mina. Why aren't you considering the E3c? It has more bass than the 6i and better highs and separation than the E2c. If I were you I would be choosing between the E2c and the E3c with your 128 files.

I'm just worried that with a 128k rock mp3, you're going to find the Etys very metallic and piercing.

Mina

ipodlounge beaver
I'd love to get the e3c's but the price is way out of my range. The e2c's are much cheaper ($99 compared to $180).

So are you saying that the E3c's are considerably better than their predocessor? If i had to i might be able to save that much money up, but i'd still have to make my mind up if i'd even want to get earphones which cost that much, i have my limits.

Mina.

kauffee

The E3c's are nowhere near that expensive. You're looking at the MSRP, and they're not selling anywhere near that. Here they are for $130... people have had good success with this retailer:
http://www.computers4sure.com/product.asp?productid=2049379
I thought somebody mentioned them at $122 last week, but I can't find it.

They also have the E2c's for $66. And yes, I'm saying the E3's are considerably better than the E2's. Here's what I wrote last night on this: http://www.ipodlounge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53826

Mina

ipodlounge beaver
Thanks for the links kauffee, as you mentioned i've also had problems trying to search about these headphones with the 4 letter maximum :(. The E3c's are now looking very very inviting. Funny to think at the beginning of this thread i was almost certain that the etymotic 6i's would be the perfect phones for my pod, oh how wrong i was. Now if only they made the e3c's completely white.......

Thanks again kauffee.

Mina.

MartyMcPod

You'll be happy that the E3's are not white later down the line. I'm very thankful for my black E2's, in that all those annoying people who want to talk to me about my iPod don't think that I have one... :D

Mina

ipodlounge beaver
I can see where your coming from, but i like it when i walk past someone with the recognisable stock earbuds and they give a nod. Obviously not when the other guy is built like a brick sh*t house and wants to "have a look" at your ipod.

btw i live in England, so if i buy the E3c's from the american website you've linked how will the currency be converted? I make it out to be around 62.00 gbp, but not sure if they will.

Mina.

Mina

ipodlounge beaver
I've been happily using Amazon for a looong time now, but this is just a joke.

amazon.com sell the shure E3c's for $114.99

Whilst amazon.co.uk sell the same shure E3c but for ??112.99!!!!!

Thats $207!!!! Am i missing something?

Mina.