1001 Albums To Listen To Before You Die

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

wolfpacker

I've had a book called "1001 Movies to See Before You Die" for about a year now. Cool book and has turned me onto some really good movies. In reading it, I'd often thought it would be cool to have a Music version.

Well, on Saturday a new library opened across the street and I spotted this book. A companion to the Movie book.

I started reading at the beginning. So far I'm up to 1985. Like any list of this sort, there are going to be things that are left off that are annoying. But overall, it is an interesting read. Definitely recommended for those who want to discover new-to-you bands.

I'm amazed my how many of these I haven't heard, or even heard of in a lot of cases. And I have a pretty large music library. I laugh at those people who think "no one needs more than xxx GB of music". They just don't get it. I guess I just hear music in a different way. I love hearing new things.

ETA: Oops, got the title wrong and it doesn't look like I can edit. It is "1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die".
Amazon Link http://www.amazon.com/1001-Albums-Must-Hear-Before/dp/0789313715/sr=8-1/qid=1158768272/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-6331681-0905563?ie=UTF8&s=books

Last edited:

rainking187

Ehh, $20 for a list of albums someone else thinks I should hear? No thanks. Add to that the fact that the book contains albums by Brittney Spears and Justin Timberlake. Is this "albums to hear before you die" or "albums you hear that make you want to die"?

papayaninja

Better Than Cats
Website
www.google.com
Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they didn't have an impact on the industry. And really, 2/1001 ain't bad.

jedk

Looking at that list, it seems to me they just chose all the popular / well known albums from each decade. Not a partcularly interesting list, in my opinion.

Jaz_Rock

it's a solid read, but yeah alot is pretty bias -- eg. i think every single bob dylan, bowie, stones and beatles album is in there (they are all great bands i know, but not EVERY album of there's has to be added)

It's helped me though discover a lot of older, really good music though...and it's got THE MARS VOLTA in it, so can't be that bad

punk_r0x

Website
www.xanga.com
A cool list, but you could probably do just as well going to the CD store and picking up a random album each week... there doesn't seem to be any sense to it. I mean, Limp Bizkit? I have that album, it's not good.

porieux

The list is sad. You should be able to do a LOT better than this just by doing your own research.

Last edited:

TheSultan

This is essentially an account of history. Kind of like saying "The 3 Most Important Wars In History". Depending on world demographics, you'll get different answers. With music, it's even more subjective. Anyone who is writing a list like that is doing it because they love music and wants to share their interests--kind of like all of us here. There is no wrong answers, just different answers.

Howard Brazee

The advantage of such a book is that most of us are kind of narrow in our tastes - when we buy albums or books or whatever, we head directly to the stuff we know we like.

So if you're a fan of Classical music, you really don't need anybody to tell you what Classical albums to buy. But maybe you don't know much about folk or bluegrass.

Or if you are a rock fan, and want to get a copy of Beethoven's 9th - you have no idea which of the many recordings should be your one copy. Someone else's recommendation could make it easier to broaden your musical knowledge efficiently.

Offspring

Wasting Time
They should instead call it "Top 20 Albums of the Past 50 Years, Plus One".