1000+ cds

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

scottder

To the people with 1000's of "albums" in itunes....how does the search capability hold up with that number of tracks?

I am seriiously thinking about some network attached stroage (read linux server with RAID for the data drives). Anyone else using this type of setup?

Scott

filemakerguy

I have 3,500 CD's and I struggled with this storage problem for well over a year. I had to think of it as a data project and not a music project. That means you concentrate on storage and accessability.

The first thing I did was rip all the disks in iTunes to MP3 at 192. This process took about 6 months and as the disks were completed they went into a 5 gallon Rubbermaid container.

Once all the disks were done, the containers were stored in a spare room where they sat for 1 year - untouched.

The MP3's were backed up on DVD's (80+ of them), the set was duplicated and one set is stored off site (at my Mother's house ;-) ). This protects me from fire and theft which is important when you have a $60,000 + music collection.

All the songs were then ripped to 128 MP3's and now fit on one hard drive. I have 4 iPods, and all music is played on iPod now.

After the discs sat for one year I decided they were taking up too much room, so I purchased these really neat tupperware type containers that are used for holding a loaf of bread. I removed the jewel cases, and put the disks (standing on edge like bread slices). Each case holds 200 disks and cost $6. The paper artwork is placed in a similar container used to hold a sandwich. The 200 disks are entered into a database with the container number.

Now when I need to find a disk, I look it up in the database, and then get the corresponding, "breadbox" case and find the disk.

Since iTunes has about a 10% failure rate with "short tracking" songs when you rip them to MP3 (only part of the song is ripped), I have had to go back and re-do some of the disks.

The discs themselves are the, "original data" much like you would think of a paper document. The DVD's are the, "conversion back up", and the hard drive is the, "working" data.

My CD's now occupy as much space as a 2 drawer filing cabinet, they are protected from dust, and while they are not in alphabetical order, I can still retrieve one in about 100 seconds using the database.

Luckily I kept the sleeves, I'm going to digitally photograph the covers so I can see them on my new Nano!

unknownsoldier

filemakerguy said:
I have 3,500 CD's and I struggled with this storage problem for well over a year. I had to think of it as a data project and not a music project. That means you concentrate on storage and accessability.

The first thing I did was rip all the disks in iTunes to MP3 at 192. This process took about 6 months and as the disks were completed they went into a 5 gallon Rubbermaid container.

Once all the disks were done, the containers were stored in a spare room where they sat for 1 year - untouched.

The MP3's were backed up on DVD's (80+ of them), the set was duplicated and one set is stored off site (at my Mother's house ;-) ). This protects me from fire and theft which is important when you have a $60,000 + music collection.

All the songs were then ripped to 128 MP3's and now fit on one hard drive. I have 4 iPods, and all music is played on iPod now.

After the discs sat for one year I decided they were taking up too much room, so I purchased these really neat tupperware type containers that are used for holding a loaf of bread. I removed the jewel cases, and put the disks (standing on edge like bread slices). Each case holds 200 disks and cost $6. The paper artwork is placed in a similar container used to hold a sandwich. The 200 disks are entered into a database with the container number.

Now when I need to find a disk, I look it up in the database, and then get the corresponding, "breadbox" case and find the disk.

Since iTunes has about a 10% failure rate with "short tracking" songs when you rip them to MP3 (only part of the song is ripped), I have had to go back and re-do some of the disks.

The discs themselves are the, "original data" much like you would think of a paper document. The DVD's are the, "conversion back up", and the hard drive is the, "working" data.

My CD's now occupy as much space as a 2 drawer filing cabinet, they are protected from dust, and while they are not in alphabetical order, I can still retrieve one in about 100 seconds using the database.

Luckily I kept the sleeves, I'm going to digitally photograph the covers so I can see them on my new Nano!
Maybe you should go buy iArt instead?

http://www.ipodsoft.com/index.php?/software/iart

Unwinking Orb

I remember me and my friend laughing mockingly at his girlfriend, who had thrown away all her cd sleeves and plastic cases, just so she could transport them all over from Canada. 'How utterly ridiculous' we cried - 'how could anyone be so stupid as to THROW AWAY CD SLEEVES!'

2 years later, he's an ipod addict and is considering selling all his original cds.

I'm not sure what I think of this. I've got around 500 albums, but there's still something to be said for selecting a CD and playing it from beginning to end. For a start it helps prevent the annoying temptation to skip tracks. My friend probably hasn't listened to a whole track in the last couple of years - let alone a full album!

Storing CDs in boxes under beds seems to be completely against everything I've ever believed about collecting music - it's art even when it's just sitting in cabinets or shelves.

I could never hide it away, and would have it all face on if space allowed.

Last edited:

trunkguy

Keith
Website
trunkguy.com
Easy - some (the ones I want to listen to or haven't ripped) are in the living room, the bulk are in a dresser in the dining room and the rest? They are in the cellar!

Of course this does not count to ones I have ripped, backed up to my Lacie and then sold ;)

funky88

I have just under 1000 cds but I also removed them from their jewel cases and have them stored in CD storage binders. I like the one froms Fellows. They have a CD cleaner attached. It's so much easier and takes up so much less space. I wish I had done this earlier. I keep the CD booklets in the binders with the CDs. I keep the paper with the track listings from the back of the CD in a separate box in case I ever get to the point where I decide to sell the CDs. I figure I can put them back together in a jewel case if I need to.

dcx693

like funky88 I have about 5 of those Fellowes CD holders filled. I put the CD and the artwork in adjoining pockets, so I guess I have about 700 total CDs. I put the jewel cases into the basement for storage. I might sell some one day.

I do keep about 100 of my favorite CDs out on my bookshelf just because I still like seeing them out. Sometimes, with a storage device as capacious as the iPod, "out of sight" is really "out of mind."

Unwinking Orb Like your friend, I also got addicted to "music surfing", then had to exercise self control and just listen to the music. I guess that's the whole point anyway!

studleydudley

iMad about iPod
filemakerguy said:
....The discs themselves are the, "original data" much like you would think of a paper document. The DVD's are the, "conversion back up", and the hard drive is the, "working" data.

My CD's now occupy as much space as a 2 drawer filing cabinet, they are protected from dust, and while they are not in alphabetical order, I can still retrieve one in about 100 seconds using the database....
I work in Data management in the oil and gas industry, this seems so overkill. I had about 300 CD's, I realised I just don't listen to the discs anymore. So I sold them at a massive discount rate. If I need a copy I run one off. I kept my fav albums though. And why would you need to find a disc in 100 seconds?

filemakerguy said:

....Luckily I kept the sleeves, I'm going to digitally photograph the covers so I can see them on my new Nano!....
use iArt or go to Amazon and use theirs.

jms969

I have created flac lossless files (on my HTPC) for all of my CDs.

My original plan was to put the CDs in binders on a bookshelf so I would have quick access to them, but alphabetization becomes a problem when you need to "insert" discs in a full binder. I eventually decided to put the discs (alphabetised) in boxes in the basement.

I have then backed up all of the flac files on DVD.

I have NO downloaded music files, everything I own is from an original CD that I also own.

If I could purchase non DRM'd flac online then I would move from the physical CD media to electronic, but would still back-up those files to DVD.

I use Music Collector from collectorz.com to catalog my collection...

Peace,

JMS

:)

Last edited:

toastjam

Website
www.macshak.net
For those who are trying to manage a large CD to mp3 conversion is there anyway to print a master list of artists and respective albums from itunes so I can query what I've already burned and what I haven't. I've got about 2500 purchased CD's and another 1500 live cd's of jambands. Unfortuneately I didn't burn in any particular order and I like to be able to know that I've converted everything that I have lying around the house.

Digitalburn

toastjam said:
For those who are trying to manage a large CD to mp3 conversion is there anyway to print a master list of artists and respective albums from itunes so I can query what I've already burned and what I haven't. I've got about 2500 purchased CD's and another 1500 live cd's of jambands. Unfortuneately I didn't burn in any particular order and I like to be able to know that I've converted everything that I have lying around the house.
Yes you can, all you have to do is goto to the print option. Then select print to file, and then you are able to make a PDF file of your music. I use this all the time when I go music shopping and dont lug my iPod with me. I will make a list of artist that I want to look for or Albums that I might want.

I currently have about 250 going 300 albums. I just have them in a shelf in my room. Most are a doubl disc in a normal sized jewl case. I like having my music availible if I want. But I always listen to my music through iTunes or my iPod. But if I come across a song that my need reincoding I like to be able to grab my original cd. My collection is half Techno/Elctronica and the other is rock and other. So I have my collection divided into Genre.

Burn

Bill3rail

+-1000 CD's
+-1000 LP's
+-500 45's

No pictures because they are spread all over the house.
I have tried to consolodate all of the Cd's so I can go through and rip all the ones I need on my 60Gig.