1000+ cds

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

miTunes75

i'm curious...

for those of you who have 1000+ cds, what do you do with them all. What I'm trying to ask is how are they stored?

I can imagine someone's room (or) a room on someone's house that is nothing ball wall-to-wall cds....

what do you do?

any pics to share ??

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
Actually, 1000 CDs is not that many. My wife and I have 1100 CDs total and they sit on a CD shelf in the hall collecting dust...

kevmakara

The Tie-Dye Alchemist
Buy a massive HDD, rip all of them to your comp., then box up the CD's and stash 'em in the attic. Digital audio is the way to go.

I only have 506 "albums", but alot are live shows I downloaded that if burned to CD's would be at least 3 CD's each. So, in terms of CD's, I have ~1000 CD's. Again, box 'em up and safely store them in a closet/attic.

papayaninja

Better Than Cats
Website
www.google.com
I have a friend (actually, my mom's friend, but whatever) who is about 80 years old and has just about every jazz cd ever recorded. SERIOUSLY. He has a room in his house, probably 8x8 wall to wall cds. He must have thousands.

Doug Gilmour

Intelligentleman
Website
www.last.fm
A cousin of mine has 5,000+ classical albums, all which fit on a large shelf, above his home theatre setup. The shelf takes up the entire wall.

I have around 2,000 albums, but they're digitized and stored on my external HDD..

-Dan

papayaninja

Better Than Cats
Website
www.google.com
lol, Dan, one of us is going to have to change our name. It's bad enough in one of my classes where there's a Dan, and someone says our name and we both look around like lost dogs, but when it starts to happen online... Yikes.

Doug Gilmour

Intelligentleman
Website
www.last.fm
miTunes75. said:
do you still have the cds that you originally purchased or did you eventually sell them, dan?
Well, I didn't exactly buy all of the albums... ;)

But for those I did buy I store them all in my room.

papaya,

I believe you're going to have to go by something else then, as I have seniority around here... ;)

-Dan

bigshot

Website
www.vintageip.com
I have over 8,000 CDs. I take the booklet and back card out of the jewel case and tuck them into Case Logic books. This way, I can fit my whole collection in a single bookcase.

See ya
Steve

iTel

bigshot said:
I have over 8,000 CDs. I take the booklet and back card out of the jewel case and tuck them into Case Logic books. This way, I can fit my whole collection in a single bookcase.

See ya
Steve
Thats a pretty good idea, might have to consider that.

PHiX

8,000 cd's? Holy crap. I think my 100 albums are a lot already! I can't even think of 500 albums that I would even like to have. :D

You could have bought a BMW 7 series with the money if you wouldn't have bought those albums. :D

Or maybe even the new M6. :p

skateboarderx24

Alternative Fuel Advocate
Website
www.schumanautomotive.com
wow 8000... im keeping all my cd's so when the grandkids ask what a cd is i say its like a record.. but smaller and better.. then they will ask what a record is .. and ill reply.. i dont know

jwc110869

Technology made me fat
bigshot said:

See ya
Steve
I've been meaning to do the exact same thing. But I couldn't imagine how many of those books you need for 8000 CD's and booklets

Blackmane

A Dark Man In A Dark Cape
I have abou 800 ~ 1000 and they a stored in bredrooms with family and cars etc, but i have digitzed my collection so i can acsess it easily. It was hard finding all the CD's in the first place.

JuryDuty

Website
spaces.msn.com
I've removed all my CDs from their bulky plastic cases and put them into those CD sleeves. They fill about 4 CD-baskets since they're so thin now. I've placed those in a bookshelf with my books and rarely ever touch them.

I've ripped all my CDs to my PC and my iPod and find it the only way to go. I do keep a handful of CDs in my car, but other than that, we only use digital music in our house, listening between our iPod, our PCs and streaming to our Tivo.

taxman75

Until this year, it's been a few of those 4ft/5ft-high cheap mass shelving units, and a suitcase that holds a 132 jewel cases for outside of the house.

Now that album art can be displayed on the iPod, I'm finally ripping the CD's and boxing them up in the basement (I fear heat in the attic). I am proud to have waited this long, so as to skip the generational steps of mass sleeving MP3 CD's in "books" and whatnot.

DrWebster

Music Addict
Website
www.drwebster.net
bigshot said:

See ya
Steve
I've got about 500 CDs, and I used to do that too. I ended up with three 200-disc binders, and they got quite heavy and cumbersome to flip through. I eventually bought a big hard drive, ripped them all (first to 192kbps MP3, then again 128kbps AAC about 4 months ago), threw the discs back in their jewel cases, and bought 3 Rubbermaid underbed storage containers. The CDs fit perfectly, and now they're out of the way. Like some posters above, I have over 1,000 albums in iTunes (live sets, etc.), and if I burned them all to disc, I'd have no idea where to store them.