1 more Consolidation Question

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Phillyzero

Canadian Lounger
I know I made a similiar post a couple of weeks ago, but I have one more question. Using an external harddrive, after I change the iTunes music folder location TO the external HDD, than I consolidate the library (and thus I can delete the music off my computer correct?). Well, my last question is, do I have to keep my external HDD connected to update my iPod, because I believed that when iTunes updates my iPod it looks for the music (and if it can't find it, it produces the [!] mark). So if the external HDD is no longer connected, will it not update correctly?

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
Phillyzero said:
Using an external harddrive, after I change the iTunes music folder location TO the external HDD, than I consolidate the library (and thus I can delete the music off my computer correct?).
Yes, after verifying that (a) the songs actually did get copied to the external drive, and (b) that your iTunes library is accessing songs from the external drive, not the originals (check "Get Info" on a few to see). Once you're sure that everything copied over correctly, you can delete the songs from your computer's hard drive.

Phillyzero said:
Well, my last question is, do I have to keep my external HDD connected to update my iPod, because I believed that when iTunes updates my iPod it looks for the music (and if it can't find it, it produces the [!] mark). So if the external HDD is no longer connected, will it not update correctly?
Yes and no.

If you make tag changes to your library while your external drive is connected and then disconnect your drive and re-sync your iPod, then those changes will not be reflected on your iPod when you re-sync. That is because iTunes doesn't have access to the native song file to update your iPod. In fact, the updated songs may even get removed from your iPod, at least temporarily. Why? Because when you update a song's tag, iTunes sees the version on the iPod as "old" and will want to remove and replace it. The song will be removed, and since the updated version is not available (because the external drive is unplugged) there is nothing to replace it with. If you later connect your drive and re-sync, then the updated song(s) will be added to your iPod.

However, play counts and even song ratings will update correctly as long as you didn't change the tag of the songs in question. That is because play history and song ratings are not part of the native song file, they are part of the iTunes database. But if you updated the tag in the library and changed the rating on your iPod, the rating change would not update your library. Make sense?

Phillyzero

Canadian Lounger
Thanks for the reply RMP, so one more time to clarify; how about if I add NEW songs to iTunes and onto the external HDD, i remove the drive and plug in iPod, would that work? And also, if I don't do anything, no changes, and just plug in iPod, it won't erase?

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
Philly, if you add new music to your library but disconnect the external drive before you sync, there is no way for iTunes to add the new music since they're on the external drive. You may get an error message saying that iTunes could not find the required file (you may also get the error message if you update a tag and disconnect your external drive before you sync).

If you make no changes to your library -- no new songs and no tag updates -- your iPod will not be emptied out.

Phillyzero

Canadian Lounger
Again, RMP thanks for answering my questions (that must seem redundant by now lol)...but one more question has arisen, if my smartlists change as I play them on the computer and I plug in my iPod withOUT the external HDD, will it wipe?

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
Phillyzero said:
...but one more question has arisen, if my smartlists change as I play them on the computer and I plug in my iPod withOUT the external HDD, will it wipe?
I don't think so. If all you do is play a song in iTunes all that changes is the playcount/date, not the native file. If you then disconnect your external drive and then sync your iPod, there is no need for iTunes to replace the file -- is should just update the play history. Therefore, I would expect that the played songs would not get wiped and your play history would still get updated (as well as any smart playlists that depend on that history).

Last edited: