1)Ipod 5th gen- continues play 2)Audiobook fast forward

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

wdoorn

1) i had a ipod mini 1st gen for a week and then it broke (i dropped it 3 times and then it was lights out, i hate,hate,hate, hate, myself) and there i noticed that if you listen to an audiobook and then you leave it and after an hour or so pick it up again it starts in the same screen you left it..

BUT

if you connect to itunes/pc (which is the most sensible thing to do as you want the battery to charge), then you leave it an hour or so pick it up and you have to click menu,music,artist or menu,playlist,name of playlist and desired track of playlist.. Surely the/an ipod nano 5th generation has a way around that?

2)And as you could gather, im a big fan of audiobooks, so i listen to them all the time but on the bicycle, and is there any other way to scroll trou audiobooks than this if it isnt chapterized):
) You can go to any point in the song by first pressing the select button once and than scrolling with the click wheel(

i remember that on the zune it skipped five to then minutes when you hit a particular button.. is there something like that for the nano 5th generation or is the diamond thing my only despair?

cjmnews

Staff member
1) There are different behaviors based on time. It's been a while since I have used my iPod outside of my car, so I am going on memory.

There may be a Now Playing menu entry on the top level of your iPod that will take you back to what you were listening to before the sync.

Also there is a time factor. The iPod has different levels of sleep based on power and usage. Short "off times" will have the song you were listening to as the first option. Medium off times will have the song in now playing. Long off times will basically be a reboot.

2) Unfortunately the diamond slider while spinning the wheel is the solution for non-chaptered books.
You may want to set some additional options in the Get Info, Options section of audiobook tracks.

Select all the tracks for the book, right click and choose Get Info. Click on the Options tab.
Put a checkmark next to Remember Playback Position, and Skip on Shuffle. Click OK.

I am not sure if the Media Kind setting in that window works on an iPod 5th gen. In some iPods changing the Media Kind to Audiobook moves it to the Books section.

Now it seems that you may need help in managing your audio books.

I recommend the following:
1. Set your import quality to Podcast Quality for audiobooks.
2. Rip CD Audiobooks as a single file per CD (Select all the tracks, right click, Join CD Tracks, import CD) make sure you set the Track # or Disc # in order and use the same name for all discs in the book.
3. Set Remember Playback Position and Skip on Shuffle for each file.
4. Create a Playlist to hold the book.
5. Create a Smart Playlist to play the book (Playlist is name from step 3 and Plays = 0)
6. Optional - Load artwork for the audiobook
7. Sync the Smart Playlist and the other book playlist to your iPod.

What you need to do to listen is, locate the Smart Playlist (under MUSIC->Playlists or Playlists or if you have that enabled in the iPod Settings, or Books->Playlists if you have changed the media kind), press Play on the playlist.

As you listen, the files you complete will fall out of the smart playlist, so you won't re-hear a part of the book you have finished. Because the Remember Playbook Position is turned on, if you pause your place within the file is retained.

You can leave the audiobook, listen to something else, and go back to it, and your place will be picked up.

Once you are done with the audiobook you can use iTunes to view the playlist with the book select all the files and choose Reset Plays which will allow the book to be listened to again with the smart playlist.

wdoorn

what i also think is a letdown about the ipod is that if you are at item 19 in a menu and you want to item one you have to scroll back but you cant stroll forward and when it reaches item 20 it goes to 1, thats pattheic.

I have to ask again, why in godsname you have to scroll to menu-artists or menu-playlist-select number why cant you go on where you left off automatically when you disconnect it from the pc like with the zune.

Also, in comparison to the ipod mini, when i use the click wheel on the nano with greasy fingers it goes a bit awry while i didnt have this problem with the ipod mini

cjmnews

Staff member
I guess I don't see the issue. Scroll down, scroll up, same difference to me.

There was a Now Playing menu item that should show what was playing last. As long as it has not been too long (less than a day).

There are differences in the materials, some are better for greasy fingers, others use less power letting it play longer.

wdoorn

I guess I don't see the issue. Scroll down, scroll up, same difference to me.

There was a Now Playing menu item that should show what was playing last. As long as it has not been too long (less than a day).

a plus side is that i think that the click wheel is better

how do you do it when you unplug it from the pc?

cjmnews

Staff member
The Now Playing menu item does not survive a sync.

I suggest you use the Playlist method detailed above and that will help mitigate the issue.