iPhone Connection to a PC via mobile Hotspot?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

viper69

My friend has an XsMax like I do. When they attempt to use their Personal Hotspot feature, they see their iphone in the list of available networks, but when they click on their phone all they see is "PC Cannot Connect to this Network"

Any ideas on this?? This is a new one for me. They were using a USB cable connected to their PC, a Win10 laptop. Thanks in advance

viper69

Also a second question with MY phone-- Is there a way to keep the iPhone discoverable to your PC, but not discoverable to everyone else?

Even with a Apple cable connected to my Win10 PC, my computer couldn't see my iphone, it was not listed. Also, the Personal Hotspot button in the phone was the gray spinning "wheel".

It was only until I held down on the Wifi button in the Control Center (swiping down), that I observed the lower right button "Personal Hotspot Not Discoverable". Once I selected that button and the Hotspot was discoverable would my laptop see and be able to connect to my phone.

Just curious how this "simple" networking is supposed to work. Thanks

cjmnews

Staff member
The first one is usually due to a password difference. The PC knows that network with passwordA and the network password was changed to PasswordB. Usually telling the PC to forget the network and then connecting again will get the prompt to enter the new password.

The second one has several parts:
  1. A hotspot is the phone providing a WiFi network for the PC or other device to connect to. In essence the iPhone is becoming a router. Taking the WiFi data from the device and sending it out over the data connection. A phone cannot be connected to WiFi and provide a hotspot.
  2. Not discoverable means the hotspot is off or the phone is connected to WiFi. The iPhone seems to turn off the hotspot when it is not in use to save battery and limited hotspot data.
  3. If your hotspot is discoverable then everyone in the area can see it. There really is no hiding it.

viper69

The first one is usually due to a password difference. The PC knows that network with passwordA and the network password was changed to PasswordB. Usually telling the PC to forget the network and then connecting again will get the prompt to enter the new password.

The second one has several parts:
  1. A hotspot is the phone providing a WiFi network for the PC or other device to connect to. In essence the iPhone is becoming a router. Taking the WiFi data from the device and sending it out over the data connection. A phone cannot be connected to WiFi and provide a hotspot.
  2. Not discoverable means the hotspot is off or the phone is connected to WiFi. The iPhone seems to turn off the hotspot when it is not in use to save battery and limited hotspot data.
  3. If your hotspot is discoverable then everyone in the area can see it. There really is no hiding it.
Hey CJ!

So for my friend's you think the PC is holding onto her WiFi network's password? That's the only thing she has connected to successfully. How would she follow your suggestion? I haven't run into this. If it's an unknown network, in this case a phone, right below the little iphone in Networks is a white field/box to enter in the network key/password. At least that should appear, but in her case doesn't.

Second issue

1. Thanks that clears that up.
2./3. Thanks, for some reason I thought you could hide it. I use it like once every 5 yrs, so I don't remember hotspot knowledge well at all.

cjmnews

Staff member
It probably is. Not guaranteed though.

In Windows 10
Start->Settings
Click on Network & Internet
Click on WiFi
Click on Manage Known Networks
Click on the name of the network then click Forget

viper69

It probably is. Not guaranteed though.

In Windows 10
Start->Settings
Click on Network & Internet
Click on WiFi
Click on Manage Known Networks
Click on the name of the network then click Forget
She will just need to enter the original networks password next time she accesses it. I see now. Thanks