How to transfer playlist abnd songs onto someone else's iphone

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

McMark

Hi I want to get my playlists - both the lists and the songs - onto my son's iphone.

I have then on my windows PC in window format, and also in itunes format. They are a combo of ripped and purchased songs. They were not purchased through apple music.

I can't do it through itunes on my pc, becuase it wants to make his phone my new phone. They are not saved up in the icloud.

He doesn't have itunes on his chromebook, but that may be the way to go?

There's a couple thousand songs.

Ideas? TIA

cjmnews

Staff member
open iTunes and export your playlist, File->Library->Export playlist and save it where you can find it again.

Create a new iTunes library for his phone by holding Shift while starting iTunes. There will be a prompt to open or create a library, you need to create one with a new name for your son.
Import the playlist using File->Library->Import Playlist
Sync his phone to that library, add the playlist to his phone.
close iTunes, hold Shift and start iTunes choose your library so it starts with yours normally

McMark

open iTunes and export your playlist, File->Library->Export playlist and save it where you can find it again.

Create a new iTunes library for his phone by holding Shift while starting iTunes. There will be a prompt to open or create a library, you need to create one with a new name for your son.
Import the playlist using File->Library->Import Playlist
Sync his phone to that library, add the playlist to his phone.
close iTunes, hold Shift and start iTunes choose your library so it starts with yours normally
That didnt work so well. I opened the new library, and songs and album art was missing. I closed it, when I tried to re-open itunes, it wanted to pne the new file. So I tried to delete the new file, and could not figure out which library was which. Now all the library files are duplicated with (1) versions.

McMark

That didn't work so well. I opened the new library, and songs and album art was missing. I closed it, when I tried to re-open itunes, it wanted to open the new file. So I tried to delete the new file, and could not figure out which library was which. Now all the library files are duplicated with (1) versions.

This is a biggish problem becuase I did a TON of work to get all the album art fixed and missing songs imported into itunes the first time.

cjmnews

Staff member
First off the new library should have been named uniquely so you could tell the difference (Fred Library). The default name for most libraries is iTunes Library.

Second a new library is empty until you load songs in it. If you saw songs before the import, then you probably just opened your original library and didn’t create a new one. And if you did the import, you created duplicate song entries and duplicate playlist. Deleting the (1) version of the songs should be easy to figure out like deleting the duplicate playlist.

it sounds like the playlist export worked.

More detailed steps:

Close iTunes
Hold Shift to get the Open/Create dialog
Click Create Library
Type in a new library name (Kids Library)
Leave the Location as Music
Click Save

The library should be empty.

Let’s make sure that the import doesn’t mess with your files
Click Edit->Preferences, go to the Advanced tab, uncheck Keep iTunes Library Organized and Copy Files to iTunes Media folder. Click OK.

Click File->Library->Import Playlist and choose the playlist you saved from your library.
it should appear with album art (hopefully, but if not would your son care?)

if you plug the Son’s iPhone into the computer, it should back up to this library (may have to tell it to trust this computer, any existing music on the phone will be erased) the. You add this playlist to his phone like normal and sync. It should go onto the phone.

Close iTunes
Hold Shift and open iTunes
Click Choose Library
Click on your library (usually named iTunes Library)
Click Open

Now your library should be shown.