iTunes Syncing Thousands of Songs When I Only Add a Few

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

blueboy714

with Strange Questions
I am using v.10 of iTunes and recently started having one my iPods sync 4,000+ songs each time I add something new to my library. Today I added 10 songs and it copied 4,000+ songs.

What is wrong and how do I fix it? Is my library corrupt (I have 25,000 songs in iTunes). Do I have to rebuild my iTunes Library? If so, how - what is the easiest way? Would deleting everything from iTunes and copying it back from iPods using CopyTrans fix anything?

Thanks

Last edited:

kornchild2002

I suggest deleting everything off of your iPod and then re-syncing it. You may want to just restore your iPod with iTunes instead of manually deleting, those results always prove to be better than manually deleting content. If you have an iPod touch, you can simply sync from a backup and everything will be there as if it were never deleted.

blueboy714

with Strange Questions
I suggest deleting everything off of your iPod and then re-syncing it. You may want to just restore your iPod with iTunes instead of manually deleting, those results always prove to be better than manually deleting content. If you have an iPod touch, you can simply sync from a backup and everything will be there as if it were never deleted.
thanks KC2002 - I have a couple iPod Classics (I like the storage size). Is there an easy way to delete everything off the iPods? I think CopyTrans does it - but does iTunes allow for this also?

cjmnews

Staff member
If you want to clear off everything and use Auto Sync, just click on the iPod and uncheck the top box on each tab (music, books, podcasts, etc). Press the Apply button.

If you use manual mode I would suspect that you could click on each major section (same as above) and use List view, Type Ctrl-A then press the Delete key.

If you want to clear off the "use as USB drive" section open Windows explorer, navigate there, Crtl-A and Delete key will do it.

tronZ

thanks KC2002 - I have a couple iPod Classics (I like the storage size). Is there an easy way to delete everything off the iPods? I think CopyTrans does it - but does iTunes allow for this also?
You can delete everything off the iPod by running iTunes, connecting the iPod, right-clicking on the iPod icon and selecting "Restore to factory settings".

blueboy714

with Strange Questions
thanks - this will give some things to try to figure out what works. I received better answers on iLounge than I found on Apple's forum or knowledge base - go figure. I guess that's why I come here first.

UPDATE: I tried cjmnew's suggestion and it worked great. I unchecked all of my songs, playlists, etc. and then synced, so the iPods had no data. Then I turned back on everything to add the data back to the iPods. Once I got everyone back to normal - I added a podcast and synced again - only one file copied rather than a couple thousand.

I didn't see the "Restore to factory settings" in iTunes when following tronZ's suggestion - could be because I am still using v.10.7. Everything since then sucks IMHO.

Last edited:

sallenmd

I didn't see the "Restore to factory settings" in iTunes when following tronZ's suggestion - could be because I am still using v.10.7.
The option has been there for many years of versions. If you select the device and choose summary there is a "Restore iPod..." button to the right of the picture of an iPod. When you click that, it gives you the option of either restoring from a backup or restoring to factory settings.

alice04

Have you also tried not syncng the ipod to iunes in the music album then syn again. After that try to check the album that you only want to sync.