iTunes 11: tips and tricks

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

sontaron

Thanks - I was talking about when you're in the music section though. I really like the layout of this but when you click on an individual artist it lists the albums alphabetically. I don't know of any music fan that prefers their artist's albums listed this way rather than chronologically.

Code Monkey

Thanks - I was talking about when you're in the music section though. I really like the layout of this but when you click on an individual artist it lists the albums alphabetically. I don't know of any music fan that prefers their artist's albums listed this way rather than chronologically.
First Ctrl-B to bring up the file menu, then look under View-> Viewing Options (or just use Ctrl-J). You need to do this for each of the sub categories under music. Ridiculously arcane, but the option is there.

decafjava

Well I've installed it and my initial impressions are favourable. Really like the new UI, don't miss the things most in cyberspace are complaining about (coverflow and itunes DJ), really like the "Up Next" feature.

My major issue has to do with the remote app and itunes. Overall much improved but it seems there is a sync problem which was not as pronounced before. It seems to take awhile to refresh whatever is playing on my iphone screen. Also, previously if I switched from one playlist to another (or album) it would be reflected on the other side-if I change in remote the playlist would appear in the itunes window and vice-versa. Now that is no longer the case. If I start on one playlist in remote then switch in itunes to another-the currently playing song is from the new playlist, though it takes a few seconds to refresh however the back arrow goes back to the previous playlist not the current one. More of an irritation than a major issue.

chippe01

iTunes 11 HORRIBLE for syncing iPad

This is just unacceptable!

Overall, I got used to the new layouts pretty quickly, and I actually like it better.

However, trying to sync my 64GB iPad 3rd gen is ridiculous! It is EXTREMELY SLOW on the iPad screen when choosing what to sync. If you try to scroll, it scrolls about 1 line every 5 seconds! Copying track is the same, about 1 every 5 seconds, and forget about when it gets to the part when copying the genius information. Again, it copies 1 item every 5 seconds.

I have no problems syncing iPods (Nano 7th gen 16gb and touch 4th gen 64GB)

They need to fix the iPad syncing problems.

Thackers.m

Phew - just restored iTunes 10.7.

I really don't understand how apple fail to get this right. It's not super hard to create a programme that is able to be customised enough to suit 'casual' users and 'super' users. Not that Gapless playback, being able to quickly see data like bit rate, file size, skip count etc AND see some actual artwork at the same time should be the preserve of super users.

I'm going to download it on my Macbook air instead with a limited library and see if I can get comfortable with it, and wait for someone to discover workarounds etc, but at the moment I do not see it as progression at all....

Orb.

sontaron

First Ctrl-B to bring up the file menu, then look under View-> Viewing Options (or just use Ctrl-J). You need to do this for each of the sub categories under music. Ridiculously arcane, but the option is there.
Thanks a million!! That's much better, seems daft they've hidden the option away like that but at least it's there.

Savannah

I just went back to 10.6. I think this iteration of iTunes really is brilliant if you spend all of your time on the music page. But I spend 95% of my time elsewhere, and until we can get an artwork + list view, and the ability to have more choice and customization for the grid views then it's really no use to me. I only listen to randomised playlists so I don't use Up Next or want any part of the cloud, therefore for me, nothing has been added. Options have only been taken away.

sallenmd

@sontaron: Well, I'm a music fan with over 140,000 tracks. I've been collecting music, everything from Bach to Iron Maiden, for nearly 30 years. I prefer my artist's albums in alphabetical order. I have no idea what sequence Blue Oyster Cult released their albums in, but I do know their titles.

manchali

Anyone know how to refresh the thumbnails? For playlists, grid view, some of the thumbnail artwork is showing up wrong. Songs have been manually tagged with correct artwork but certain songs for some reason do not show the correct artwork. The correct thumbnail shows up in now playing window...

Also just noticed that incorrect thumbnails are also displaying when running a search for artwork that displays just fine in grid view, sigh....

Last edited:

GregMac1213

I haven't seen this issue mentioned yet and am wondering if anyone else is affected:

Some of my tracks have lost their play counts since the upgrade to 11. The first time, around 150 tracks were affected. The last played date was still populated, but the play count was reset to null. I recovered a previous itl file from my Time Machine backup and restored the play counts. It happened again today with only one track affected this time.

It seems (so far) to affect only songs purchased from the iTunes Store. So I'm guessing there's something wonky with the increased iCloud integration in iTunes 11. I'm not using iTunes Match, by the way.

Website
www.ilounge.com
Some of my tracks have lost their play counts since the upgrade to 11. The first time, around 150 tracks were affected. The last played date was still populated, but the play count was reset to null. I recovered a previous itl file from my Time Machine backup and restored the play counts. It happened again today with only one track affected this time.

It seems (so far) to affect only songs purchased from the iTunes Store. So I'm guessing there's something wonky with the increased iCloud integration in iTunes 11. I'm not using iTunes Match, by the way.
Yes, I had the exact same problem after upgrading -- mostly with TV Shows in my case -- and I strongly suspect it's the iCloud syncing that's gone somewhat wonky here. Playback positions seem to sync reasonably well, but played status (play counts and the blue dots) are all over the place in terms of consistency.

Website
www.ilounge.com
Is it possible you had the 64-bit version of iTunes installed previously?

Regardless, you should be able to simply uninstall and reinstall iTunes without any issues. None of your data will be touched -- only the application itself is reinstalled.

vahidpersia

Website
www.facebook.com
I've just updated to iTunes 11; everything seems correct, but when i'm changing music info by right clicking/Get Info/Info tab... nothing changes!! unlike the pervious one...
I thought it was because of read only issues... but it's possible to change the tags, by right clicking on the file in the folder, and choosing properties, going to details tab.
any help would be appriciated

manchali

Anyone know how to refresh the thumbnails? For playlists, grid view, some of the thumbnail artwork is showing up wrong. Songs have been manually tagged with correct artwork but certain songs for some reason do not show the correct artwork. The correct thumbnail shows up in now playing window...

Also just noticed that incorrect thumbnails are also displaying when running a search for artwork that displays just fine in grid view, sigh....
Tried to solve my issue with this old article deleting the "Cache" folder. No joy, it still is showing incorrect artwork in grid, and on top of that all the playlists I sorted by title (CTRL+J) were no longer sorted by title but returned to default sort by artist, then title, so that setting must be in that cache.... How can I force iTunes 11 to rebuild it's cache if that link did not work? The correct artwork is tagged dunno why it's showing incorrectly in grid.

jarin420

Does anyone know how to get track names when missing the track titles on albums or has this been removed? Can't find it anywhere.

Website
www.ilounge.com
It's been more or less removed from the actual menus -- it was under the now-defunct Advanced menu, but appears either on the right-click context menu for tracks you've already imported, or on the Options menu that appears on the CD import screen.

jarin420

Yeah when I right click on a album that I imported that a while ago there is no get track names. My only gripe with the new version. So far I think its great.

Website
www.ilounge.com
Odd, as it's there for me on all of the tracks I've checked. Make sure you're accessing the actual right-click context menu, and not the quick menu that appears when clicking on the arrow to the right of the track name.

itunes-11-get-track-names.png