Apple orders 13 million ipad screens

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR
It is no secret that the reason for the iPad's launch date being pushed back is due to Wintek's manufacturing issues regarding the production of the IPS display. It seems that the component manufacturer, even now is struggling to deliver the full 400,000 screens mandated by Apple for the April 3 launch.

Ordering another 13 million displays from LG and Samsung combined is a bold statement that Apple plans to sell twice the amount of iPads world wide that analysts have predicted.

Is it April 3rd yet?

Full Article Here: [Edited:"Ling removed]13 Million iPad Screens Ordered

Martin Castillo,

Please read the Forum Policy - No Soliciting members or advertising of other websites, blogs or forums

Last edited by a moderator:

JSRinUK

Is it April 3rd yet?
Is it April 1st yet?

I question any article that uses the word "perspective" when they mean "prospective". (And "Never the less" when they mean "Nevertheless".)

I'm not sure I understand the logic. On the strength of 100,000 pre-orders, we're told that Apple are ordering 13 million iPad screens? And that the 10 million they have on order from LG isn't enough? Really?

Also, the economics are a bit questionable. The article suggests that Apple have ordered 10 million iPad screens from LG for $80 each, and 3 million from Samsung for $80 each. What about economies of scale? Ordering 10 million should result in a lower unit cost than ordering 3 million.

Why are Wintek only providing screens for the first 400,000 and not the next several million? If LG and Samsung can provide the screens, why did Apple only place a relatively tiny order with Wintek in the first place? Why didn't they order from LG and/or Samsung, ask for the lead time, and then factor that into their iPad estimated release date?

Something doesn't seem right about the assertions made in the article.

However, it seems that the domain "ipadtabletcentral.com" was registered on 27th January and is yet another of those "nothing" websites with "ipad" in its name that try to make up stories from rumours and whispers. Best to stick with the more well-known and reliable sites for your news.

I just read the article again and I don't understand where you are getting your assertions from.

It stated that the source was the Korean times. I think that if Apple could have purchased 13 million screens from LG that they would have. Obviously there is a high demand for the screens as demonstrated by the issues with Wintek.

I found this article from the Korean Times which seems to be source for the Blog post:

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/tech/2010/03/133_62581.html

BTW: In the quote from your post - "have" should be "has"

"The article suggests that Apple have ordered 10 million iPad screens from LG for $80 each, and 3 million from Samsung for $80 each. What about economies of scale? Ordering 10 million should result in a lower unit cost than ordering 3 million."

JSRinUK

I just read the article again and I don't understand where you are getting your assertions from.
I wasn't aware that I was making assertions, merely questioning the article.

BTW: In the quote from your post - "have" should be "has"

"The article suggests that Apple have ordered 10 million iPad screens from LG for $80 each, and 3 million from Samsung for $80 each. What about economies of scale? Ordering 10 million should result in a lower unit cost than ordering 3 million."
You seem a bit touchy that I questioned the article. You didn't write the article, perhaps? You're not associated with the website in question are you? The website does seem to appear in a number of your posts, and a Google for "Martin Castillo" and the website produces a number of results.

Incidentally, both "Apple have..." and "Apple has..." are correct in this instance. If you consider Apple to be a single business entity as I do, then the third person singular of "have" is "has". Hence, "Apple has...". If you consider Apple to be a group of people, then the third person plural of "have" is "have". Hence, "Apple have..."

Neither are incorrect.

I read the website daily and enjoy it. It was obvious to me that you have a bone to pick with the owners of the site.

All that any of these sites do is put a different spin on something that was published by a major media source. The source of the article in question was the Korean Times, which I linked for you.

On the other hand if it makes you feel better about yourself to trash others, be my guest.

BTW: "has" reads much better than "have" in your sentence. Just listen to it.:shake:

Also, the economics are a bit questionable. The article suggests that Apple have ordered 10 million iPad screens from LG for $80 each, and 3 million from Samsung for $80 each. What about economies of scale? Ordering 10 million should result in a lower unit cost than ordering 3 million..
As far as economics go, have you ever heard of supply and demand? Short supply and high demand usually account for a price increase not decrease.:shake:

Last edited:

JSRinUK

I read the website daily and enjoy it. It was obvious to me that you have a bone to pick with the owners of the site.
No. As I mentioned in another thread, I'm just fed up with all these non-entity sites that cropped up the moment Apple announced the name "iPad". Sites that had nothing to say before the iPad, and have nothing to say now beyond regurgitating rumours but somehow have people posting new threads to them in several forums. These people don't link to the original source of the material but the "ipad-something.com" website instead. I believe it's known as being a shill.

All that any of these sites do is put a different spin on something that was published by a major media source. The source of the article in question was the Korean Times, which I linked for you.
What you call "different spin", I call regurgitation.

On the other hand if it makes you feel better about yourself to trash others, be my guest.
It annoys me that a search for news about the iPad pulls up dozens of these non-entity sites that tell us nothing new but simply regurgitate the same old stories and rumours.

BTW: "has" reads much better than "have" in your sentence. Just listen to it.:shake:
What's the emoticon for? I demonstrated quite plainly that my sentence was grammatically correct. It still sounds to me like you see my questioning of the article as some kind of personal attack that you feel the need to defend.

JSRinUK

As far as economics go, have you ever heard of supply and demand? Short supply and high demand usually account for a price increase not decrease.:shake:
Yeah, whatever.

I know when I buy a product for my business, I get them cheaper if I buy more. If that doesn't happen in your world then, as I say, whatever... :rolleyes:

Yeah, whatever.

I know when I buy a product for my business, I get them cheaper if I buy more. If that doesn't happen in your world then, as I say, whatever... :rolleyes:

Do you think that product availability has anything to do with price?

Where are you from anyways?

It annoys me that a search for news about the iPad pulls up dozens of these non-entity sites that tell us nothing new but simply regurgitate the same old stories and rumours.
From this I can only take it that you resent freedom of speech in print format.

BTW: "rumours" is spelled "rumors"

kornchild2002

Rumor is spelled rumour if you are British. There are many differences in spelling from U.S. English and English from the UK. Aside from the rumour example, they also spell color as colour.

JSR's comments were more towards providing a link to many generic i-want-advertising-money-ipad.com websites that keep popping up ever since Apple announced the official name of the iPad. Instead of continuing to use those junk websites to provide "news," you should turn to more reputable websites that didn't come up over the past 30 days in the wake of the iPad announcement.

sracer

Yeah, whatever.

Economies-of-scale aren't always linear. Oftentimes the cost/quantity curve levels out. So while it is true that the per unit price should be lower when ordering 100,000 vs. ordering 10. It doesn't necessarily hold true that ordering 10,000,000 will be cheaper-per-unit than ordering 3,000,000.

JSRinUK

Do you think that product availability has anything to do with price?
And there was me thinking the iPad wasn't available yet.

Where are you from anyways?
I presume you're trying to be sarcastic. It's fairly common to see someone getting personal when they run out of constructive input.

From this I can only take it that you resent freedom of speech in print format.
Nice way to set up a straw man.

BTW: "rumours" is spelled "rumors"
I've already proven you incorrect the last time when you queried my choice of grammar. Do I need to prove you incorrect for querying my spelling as well?

You're just making it obvious that you're feeling hurt because I questioned the website article that you linked to. You haven't admitted being involved with the website so I really don't understand why you're taking it so personally.

Before this devolves much further and you find even less convincing ways of replying, I'd better be the one to break off the discussion. I expect you'll want to have the last word, so make it a good one.

Peace! :)