Questions regarding Home Sharing

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

mr wrong

I have two questions regarding the Home Sharing feature:

Can I sync my iPod on either PC that has Home Sharing enabled, since is it identical on either computer?

Is there a way to make the shared iTunes library the default library on my laptop when I'm on my home network?

Thanks..

Code Monkey

You're unclear what the home sharing is, this is clear.

iTunes has allowed users on the same network to see, browse, and listen to one another's libraries for years. All that changed is that to do this with iTunes 9 all computers that want to share their libraries must enable sharing with identical iTunes account logins. The benefit for this new restriction is that all enabled computers can drag and drop media from another library to theirs and the appropriate files will be transferred across the network.

There is no central library, there is no ability to sync iPods across different computers, etc, only the additional function of being able to drag and drop from one library to another on the same network.

wyneken

I guess I am missing something obvious, but drag-and-drop importing is not working for me, though both machines have Home Sharing turned on, and I can see (and play) the other library in iTunes on the computer to which I am trying to import.

I can't find any alternative way (like right-clicking on the song title) to bring up a command to import the tune.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong, or ways to do it right? I assume that this feature applies to all contents of the library, not just music bought from the iTunes store.

mr wrong

You're unclear what the home sharing is, this is clear.

iTunes has allowed users on the same network to see, browse, and listen to one another's libraries for years. All that changed is that to do this with iTunes 9 all computers that want to share their libraries must enable sharing with identical iTunes account logins. The benefit for this new restriction is that all enabled computers can drag and drop media from another library to theirs and the appropriate files will be transferred across the network.

There is no central library, there is no ability to sync iPods across different computers, etc, only the additional function of being able to drag and drop from one library to another on the same network.

Thank you very much for the detailed response..

Is there anything out there that would sync my iTunes library on 2 computers? I am looking for a way to be able to sync my iPod on my laptop when I'm traveling, while reflecting any changes on both libraries.

Thanks again.

wyneken

Highlight the songs in the other library and click the "Import" button at the bottom right.
Thanks for such a quick reply!

I'm not seeing an Import button anywhere on the iTunes window.

----

Update: Well, I tried the time-proven method of quitting and restarting everything. Finally it works.

Problem solved, I guess. Though it's not clear what the problem was, exactly. Just a little temperamental, I guess.

Last edited: