my quest for a free DVD ripper/converter - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: my quest for a free DVD ripper/converter

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 10-24-2016, 09:44 AM

Reclined Lounger

my quest for a free DVD ripper/converter

I did a have a free DVD ripper that would rip them into MP4s or MOVs or other type of video file that would play on an LGsmartTV. It would crash constantly and just got worse until finaly it would crash everytime i try to rip DVD. so i ditched that. so i tried looking for another one. i found one that only rip DVDs into MPEG format. [Wondersoft] they will only play on computers and laptops and the files arehuge and take up alot of space. so i tried looking for a free MPEG converter. i found one that would convert to MP4s but the audio and video were out of sync. [Prism] then there was another one i cant remember the name of it. it kept crashing when i tried to download it, my computer regcognized as some kind of virus. and there was another converter from Wondersoft itself but it would only convert them to WEBM format, that wouldnt work on a USB LGsmartTV. Now im very frustated, all i want is to back up my DVDs onto a pindrive that i can play on any USB port like an LGSmartTV. Why is that not possable for me?!
I mean its so easy to rip and back up your music CDs and take it anywhere. but they charge you for doing the same to your DVD movies and TV shows? and the only free one you get theres always some kind of catch? That just seems dishonest to me.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:17 AM

Reclined Lounger

i THINK i found a solution. not perfect but. i still hav me DivX converter that converts file to MKV files. they work on the LGsmartTV. right now it started converting. so far things look normal. cant put them on my ipad or an Apple TV. (Im sticking with LG for this reason) but this is a good start. lets hope the results are good. [cross fingers and pray!]
Old 10-24-2016, 10:17 AM

DVD ripping is technically not legal.
There are programs out there than can do it. They have the code to decrypt the DVD and produce a file.

Handbrake is decent software for video conversions. It does not rip DVDs. I use this to create iPod / iPhone videos from other formats.

There was a time that Sony tried to make copying CDs impossible too. But they did it wrong, and caught a bunch of crud for it. Technically what Sony did was to make a data disc out of a CD. It could actually not be called a CD as it didn't meet the spec anymore.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 10-24-2016, 10:25 AM

Reclined Lounger

if its not legal then why do some blu rays have digital copies of the movie you can download? do they get to pick and choose what your allowd to watch on your portable device and USB ports?
Old 10-24-2016, 10:57 AM

Reclined Lounger

Well guess what tried turning it into MKV files audIo and video out of sync. why are they doing this to me?
Old 10-24-2016, 11:06 AM

Digital downloads are authorized copies. They have DRM on them to ensure that your account is the only one that can play them. You can't alter the files, or change formats. They are not DVD rips.

No, you get to pick and choose what you get to see. You just need to buy it in the correct format or find something that can help you convert them into the format you need. Your sync issues could possibly be solved through settings in the conversion process or a better program.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 10-24-2016, 11:15 AM

Reclined Lounger

OK let me try handbrake. how much do you know about it? will it not convetr them where the audio and video are out of sync? all i want is just to convert the MPEGS to MP4s, MOVs or MKVs or a format where i can play on any USB port. no extra features, just the basic.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:19 AM

I do iTunes, iPod and iOS support. I don't want to add other software to my plate. There is enough here.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:28 AM

Reclined Lounger

ITUNES can convert MPEG videos??1 first time i heard.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:39 AM

Reclined Lounger

well, dishonesty strikes again! its a TRIAL version and will only download 1/3rd of each video. see they dont tell you that before you download. GRRRR! Let me uninstall now!
Why do i even try!!
Old 10-24-2016, 12:50 PM

iTunes can read some formats of video and convert them for iPods and iPhones.

Per Wikipedia: MP4, M4V and MOV files can be read.

It is really limited.

Old 10-24-2016, 04:53 PM

Reclined Lounger

Guess whaaaat... IT WORKS! ON BOTH BLU RAYS USBs So im assuming the LG too. the files are too big for a small pin drieve so i had to put it on the Adata port drive which is kinda old and clunky at times but still works. ill buy a new one some day but in the mean time.... THIS IS A FREAKING MIRACLE!
Thank you for youe support!
Old 10-24-2016, 04:57 PM

What had trial version only?

What works?

Names could help others.

Old 10-24-2016, 06:27 PM

Reclined Lounger

Wonderfox heres the yoube link the link to the site is on this page. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctu43s7uIGM
Old 11-23-2016, 03:30 AM

Freshman Lounger

If you just need a free DVD ripper, you can try to use Handbrake - which is capable for ripping DVD and converting video. But the problem you might encounter is that it only rips about half movie/DVD when ripping DVDs. So you'd better try a professional one.

Topic: my quest for a free DVD ripper/converter

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.