• iLounge and the Discussion Forums are read by people in countries all over the world. The legality of DVD-to-iPod ripping will vary based on your country of residence. iLounge does not in any way endorse violation of the valid rights of copyright holders, and strongly recommends that you consult your country's copyright and fair use laws before copying any video content.

Conversion FOr a 40" Sony LCD

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

alaap988

i have various avi[700 mb movies] files that work great in avi mode in a 36" lg lcd
but i kinda cannot figure out how to convert the files to mp4 or m4v for ipod with the reolution and famerate not changing
i have handbrake for encoding
but the conversions donot come out as good as pre converted movies
i need to convert for the 40 " lcd sony series w
pls help

Sparkee

The source files are probably already some where in the 640x480 resolution range at a fairly low bitrate of around 700-1000kbps depending on the length of the movie. There is nothing to gain by encoding at a higher bitrate however I'll bet you used the iPod setting directly in the Apple section in HandBrake which lowers the resolution to 320x240. Try the iPod Legacy preset, found in the Apple/Legacy section which will maintain a higher 640x480 resolution which looks good on a larger TV. You will want to try to match the bitrate of the original however you will probably maintain good quality going a little lower using the h.264 codec. I would bet you will not go wrong setting the average bitrate to 1000kbps as a starting point using this preset.

You can use lower bitrates if you use good video codecs like H.264 and still get good looking video. A rough guess I use is to use a bitrate setting that will match the file size of the original and maintain the resolution as close as possible and still be in Apples spec.

kornchild2002

Another thing is that your AVI files are more than likely xvid videos in an AVI container. Xvid is a lossy video format. This means that most of the information in the video is thrown away while the remaining information is compressed. You will not be able to improve the video quality by converting these xvid videos. The mpeg-4 AVC (h.264) video format is also lossy. Going from one lossy video format to another will result in further information loss. In other words, you are making a photocopy of a photocopy or take a picture of a painting. The resulting file will not look as good as the source one especially when watching it on such a large HDTV.

I recommend that you purchase an Xvid compatible DVD player with upscaling capabilities. That would be much better than converting the xvid videos to h.264.

alaap988

yea i just tried the ipod royal conversion with a 640 ratio on a file
lets c what it turns out to be

and yea im doing this becoz i dont have the time to go out and buy a dvd player now

kornchild2002

You don't have the time or the money? You could order one from Amazon for $50 (including overnight shipping) today and it would get here by Monday. You could have ordered one back in the 26th and it would have arrived yesterday. Either way, an upscaling DVD player is going to give you much better results than an iPod. The iPod won't upscale the videos (it can display them up to 480p when using the component cables) and it is playing back transcoded content. Technically speaking, your Xvid videos are the result of a lossy-to-lossy transcode. So the videos on your iPod are a third lossy transcode of the video. That is like taking a picture of a painting with a 2MP digital camera and then taking a picture of that (printed out) with a Polaroid camera.

alaap988

i stay in india
i have the money but theres no online buying here and if there it they give us faulty stuff
and i dont think i could afford a friggin 40 inches lcd if i couldnt afford a dvd player ????
yea well ur words tru ipods r used for some things only ....tv is something not for the .....
well but itll work for the time
i just have another 10 day after that ill buy it
and yea the ipod legacy is a good enough encoding with 29.7 framerate