Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Getting a Movie's Digital Copy on your iPod

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 02-07-2009, 02:49 PM

Junior Lounger

Lightbulb Getting a Movie's Digital Copy on your iPod

I just bought a movie (Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist) and I found out that the movie comes with a code so that you can download a digital version of the movie onto your computer and iPod. I would totally love to do that.

However, before I start pressing buttons or something, I just want to make sure there isn't any catches. Like, if I switched computers, would I be able to switch the movie file to a new computer? Or is there some sneaky little copyright code or something that will prohibit me from doing so? Or, can I put the movie on multiple iPods, like mine & my sister's?

I'm just wondering all of this because a) I've never put a movie on my iPod before and b) I've never bought a movie that comes with a digital copy before either.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Kelsie

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:25 PM

First off, you need to make sure that the digital copy works with iPods/iTunes. Some movies come with digital copies that work with Windows Media Player only. I know that I Am Legend is like this.

Most movies come with two digital copies: one for iTunes/iPods and another for Windows Media Player. All you have to do is open up iTunes and put in the bonus DVD. You will be taken to a page where you can input the code to download the movie. Put the code in and the movie will be copied off of the bonus DVD (although it looks like iTunes is downloading from the iTunes Store, it isn't). The movie will contain Apple's standard FairPlay DRM. This means that it can be played back on up to 5 different computers that you authorize. So yes, you can move the movie to a new computer. You will just have to authorize that computer for the playback of your iTunes Store content. You can also sync the video to an unlimited number of video capable iPods. So you can have 439287598374698945696846979 different video capable iPods, iPod nanos, and iPod touch models. You can sync that single movie to them all so long as you use a computer that you have authorized for the playback of your iTunes Store purchases.

There aren't any loopholes or anything like that. Just know that you cannot "download" the movie again once the code has been used. So make sure that you backup the movie after it is "downloaded."

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 02-07-2009, 08:53 PM

Junior Lounger

That's exactly what I wanted to know! Yes, it's compatible with iTunes, so that's good. Thank you so much for your help!

Topic: Getting a Movie's Digital Copy on your iPod

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.