• iLounge and the Discussion Forums are read by people in countries all over the world. The legality of DVD-to-iPod ripping will vary based on your country of residence. iLounge does not in any way endorse violation of the valid rights of copyright holders, and strongly recommends that you consult your country's copyright and fair use laws before copying any video content.

VOB files don't match Episodes

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

hyzenthlay20

I'll preface this by saying I am a newbie to trying to get videos onto an iPod. I have the 6G classic and I have been trying to put my Felicity DVDs and Arrested Development DVDs on there (yes, I do own these). After reading several guides (here and Lifehacker) I settled on DVD43 and Handbrake. They seem to work fine for me when I do my movies, but I am having issues with getting TV episodes to work correctly.

When I try to run Handbrake and select the VIDEO_TS folder I am told "There is no Title found. Please make sure you have selected a valid, non-copy-protected source. Please refer to the FAQ (see Help Menu)."

I click "OK" on that window, which is my only option, and set it to the correct Presets for the High-Rez iPod. Then I click "Encode Video" and it gets the first episode beautifully.

I have read (and seen screen shots) that tell someone having this problem to look for the chapters and select episodes based on their chapters. The only option in the Chapters section of the source is "Auto" and the same goes for Titles.

The problem is that I can't get the other episodes. I tried changing the source to "file" from "folder" but then that gives me the option of the VOB files. I did that for a few DVDs, but the VOB files are 27 to 28 minutes long and don't sync up with the episode beginnings or endings.

I tried doing the same thing for Arrested Development, hoping that because it was a 30-minute show (without ads about 21 minutes) the VOB files would sync with the episodes, but no luck.

I also tried downloading Videora, but the same thing happened with the VOB files. I can't seem to figure out a way to see the chapters of the DVD (nor do I know if the chapters even align to the episodes!).

Please, does anyone have any ideas? I have been searching online for answers for several days now, so that I wouldn't ask a question that has already been answered . . . But I have had NO luck, even using a bunch of different search strands.

THANK YOU!

Sasnak

Use DVD Shrink and you can the DVD browser to re-author and rip individual episode VOBs then convert them with Videora (just happens to be my preference). Alternatively, DVD Catalyst Free identifies individual episodes, then rips and converts them in one step.

Sparkee

In HandBrake you are not looking for different chapters on TV DVDs. The individual episodes will show in the "Title" drop down box numbered 1,2,3... and have a time beside them. Here you should see something like a roughly 2 hour title which is all the episodes in one title. Under that you should see the smaller roughly 20 to 40 minute titles which will be the individual episodes. The different titles will have their own chapters that divide each episode for navigation on the final video file.

Pick 1 title, change the last part of the filename to the episodes name, I use "01 - Episode Name.m4v" which helps organize in iTunes before they are fully tagged. Add that to the queue and continue with the rest of the episodes. Once they are all done start the queue and let the computer churn away.

Using individual VOB files off the DVD's is hit and miss depending on how the DVD or ripping software is setup. For the most part they do not contain certain chapters or titles. Most of the time they are limited to file size to stay compliant with some older file systems.

hyzenthlay20

The individual episodes don't show in the Title drop down menu in Handbrake. The only option given in the Title menu (and in the Chapter menus) is "Auto."

Sparkee

When I try to run Handbrake and select the VIDEO_TS folder I am told "There is no Title found. Please make sure you have selected a valid, non-copy-protected source. Please refer to the FAQ (see Help Menu)."
Is DVD43 running in the task bar and showing a green face before you select the VIDEO TS folder? If it is then it is possible the DVD is using a stronger encryption scheme than DVD43 can handle. You will need to use a program called RipIt4Me along with DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink to get past the copy protection. Check here for some help or Google RipIt4Me.

hyzenthlay20

Yes, DVD43 is showing a green smiley face when the DVDs are in my drive. I will try the three programs you have suggested. Thank you for your help!

Fleety

If You are copying Dvds to your computer, i suggest using:

DVD Decrypter And Videora iPod Converter