Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Is there a good MP4 standalone DVD player?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 04-18-2008, 09:44 PM

Freshman Lounger

Is there a good MP4 standalone DVD player?

I am looking for a good stand-alone dvd player that will play my movies in MP4 format. I know that there are many that will play divx and even xvid files, but are there any that will play the mp4 as it is? I have converted many of my dvd movies into mp4 for my ipod with Nero and was wondering if I could then burn the mp4 onto a dvd and play it in a stand-alone dvd player. That way I could have like an entire season of Seinfeld on one disk rather than only a few episodes on the dvd in dvd format. I would rather not have to encode everything again into divx so that I can do this. On the same note, is there a mobile unit, like one that I can take with me in the car so that I can put a few of my kids movies onto one disk that they can watch while on a road trip. If they scratch up that disk in the car ride, no biggie, and they could have multiple movies on one disk so they wouldn't have to change the disk as often.

Last edited by jjhartley; 04-18-2008 at 09:47 PM.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:08 PM

Veteran Lounger

Apple TV, and the iPod?
Old 04-18-2008, 11:18 PM

Veteran Lounger

I agree, for at home you can stream or sync movies to an Apple TV and use an iPod for the road, no DVD disks needed. This is how I have my media library set up with a 500GB and a 200GB external drives storing my video at home.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Old 04-19-2008, 03:42 AM

You can also hook up an iPod to the TV. There are some stand-alone DVD players that can handle standard mpeg-4 and mpeg-4 AVC videos and the brands include Ziova, Yamakawa, Vestel, Targa, Siemssen, QVision, Packard Bell, Mico, KiSS, IRRADIO, Grundig, Gowell, Elta, and Avayon. Take your pick but most of these are from Japanese/Chinese companies and cost about $200+ online.

You might as well spend the money on a 4GB iPod nano and hook it up to a TV, get an Apple TV, find an inexpensive older computer, get a PS3 or Xbox 360, and so on. I would go with a PS3 or Apple TV though as you will have the ability to copy the videos to the internal storage of each device. That stops you from having to burn CD/DVD data discs every time you want to watch a video.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 04-19-2008, 04:35 PM

Freshman Lounger

I already have my computer straight connected from my HDMI video card to my HDTV. I don't hardly use it as a computer, it is more of a Home Entertainment PC. I was just seeing if it was possible. It just seems that there are a lot of people with video ipods that have converted their whole library into mp4 format but there aren't very many players that will play it, but there are plenty that will play Divx discs. I guess for the car though, my best bet would be to use my 80gb classic and get the video out cable and portable lcd's for the car that have a video input.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:10 PM

The reason is that the mpeg-4 AVC requires quite a bit more processing power than either divx or xvid. Divx and xvid are based off of the standard mpeg-4 video format part 2. These encoders are rather old and don't require much power to decode at all. mpeg-4 AVC on the other hand is much newer and requires better hardware especially if you want to playback resolutions of 480p and higher. So stand-alone DVD players would need a substantial hardware boost in order to playback these files. That being said, HD-DVD and Blu-ray players have more than enough power to handle these files (HD-DVD and Blu-ray movies are often encoded using the mpeg-4 AVC video format at high bitrates) yet I don't see a single HD player on the market that can play them.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 04-19-2008, 05:40 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks Kornchild. I have been enlightened. I have just started into this ipod video stuff. I had the previous ipod video but never put anything on it because I completely filled it with music, and I didn't have much HD space to store the videos. I now have a classic and 4 hard drives totalling nearly 1TB, so I thought I would have some fun with putting all of my DVDs onto the computer.

Topic: Is there a good MP4 standalone DVD player?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.