Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Question about handbrake having difficulties encoding dark scenes

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 03-12-2008, 11:59 PM

Senior Lounger

Question about handbrake having difficulties encoding dark scenes

I've tried doing a lot of different encoding settings to see what the best way to encode is and one persistent problem is that noticeable artificats show up in dark scences. For example in the begining of the first pirates of the caribbean movie, it starts off with a completely black scene and slowly the POC logo shows up. Well when the screen is completely black I can see a lot of green blocks and lines show up randomly throughout.

The part I find strange is that this only happens with dark scenes, everything else looks fantastic. This has happened when I've encoded the movie in loose anamorphic, when I've let handbrake choose all the settings automatically, and when I chose a custom resolution of 640x272 (2.35:1 movie).

Something different though happens when I choose anamorphic PAR. When I choose this option and let handbrake do the rest for the iphone/ipod touch preset I get a different effect. Instead of the random green bars and lines, I get dotted grey boxes forming around the screen. This is much less obvious and unpleasant, but at anamorphic par the movie is encoded at 849x360. I'd like to be able to encode it at 640x272 so all of my movies are at a consistent resolution.

Anyone have any ideas on how to solve this? Thanks.

Oh and I also tried a 2-pass encoding but accidently deleted it, but from what I remember the movie also had the same problem.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:11 AM

Stoopid Ameican Rednek

Do a search on the HB forums, this has been discussed there.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:52 AM

Senior Lounger

I did do a search, but I didn't get much information beyond a "its a common problem". For whatever reason when handbrake encodes in paranormal it does a much better job since the green blocks and lines are much more annoying than dotted grey squares, which is what I'd like to reproduce at 640x272 but I can't find a way.

Topic: Question about handbrake having difficulties encoding dark scenes

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.