Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: how to use handbrake?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 11-25-2007, 01:30 PM
#1
 
Senior Lounger
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 125
how to use handbrake?

ok, i have copied a dvd to my laptop, using dvd decrypter.

so whats the next step in converting the movie to a mp4?
gonewiththesin is offline  
Reply With Quote

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 11-25-2007, 02:39 PM
#2
 
A Bit Outdated
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Byron, NY
Posts: 1,522

I assume you have a VOB file now...

Open up Handbrake, find the VOB, and tell it what to do as far as settings go... there's even a convenient side-pane that will have presets for iPhone, Apple TV, large iPod and small iPod.

Tell it where to output the file, and click encode.



iPod 4G 20GB | iPod 5G 30GB | iPod nano 1G 1GB | iPod touch 16GB
"You roll on the floor drenched in smiles and smoke and you're laughing your head off at something misspoken."
pohatu771 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:39 PM
#3
 
Senior Lounger
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 125

how to i make the movie into a VOB file?

i thought i just rip it into a image file.
gonewiththesin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 08:51 PM
#4
 
Veteran Lounger
 
Sparkee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 5,706

You must have only created an ISO image, you need to rip it so you can see the DVD's files and folders. Read This Tutorial.



64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Sparkee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 01:36 PM
#5
 
Senior Lounger
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 125

ok, so i ripped a movie with dvd drcrypter like it said in the guide, in the previous post.

and when i try to load the ripped movie into handbrake i get this message.

gonewiththesin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 01:48 PM
#6
 
Senior Lounger
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by pohatu771
I assume you have a VOB file now...

Open up Handbrake, find the VOB, and tell it what to do as far as settings go... there's even a convenient side-pane that will have presets for iPhone, Apple TV, large iPod and small iPod.

Tell it where to output the file, and click encode.
ok, i have multiple VOB files., when i used dvd decrypter i chose just the main movie. it outputted 3 VOB files.
gonewiththesin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 02:20 PM
#7
 
Veteran Lounger
 
Sparkee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 5,706

Once you have ripped the video off the DVD you should have a Video_TS folder that contains the files from the DVD. Select that folder in Handbrake as the Source and then select the main movie, the roughly 2hr title, in the title box.

If you want to convert it from the vob files I think you will need to open it with file selected in Handbrake. However due to the file size limitations on some file systems most ripping software will make multiple vob files.

Alternatively search for a copy of DVD43 instead of using DVDDecripter for making personal copies of your DVDs. It will help you get around most copy protection and let you covert the movie directly off the DVD using Handbrake. Once DVD43 shows a happy face, browse over to the Video_TS folder on the DVD in Handbrake. There is still some copy protection DVD43 can't do and but it will do everything DVDDecrypter can do with out additional software.



64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Sparkee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:29 PM
#8
 
Senior Lounger
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkee
Once you have ripped the video off the DVD you should have a Video_TS folder that contains the files from the DVD. Select that folder in Handbrake as the Source and then select the main movie, the roughly 2hr title, in the title box.

If you want to convert it from the vob files I think you will need to open it with file selected in Handbrake. However due to the file size limitations on some file systems most ripping software will make multiple vob files.

Alternatively search for a copy of DVD43 instead of using DVDDecripter for making personal copies of your DVDs. It will help you get around most copy protection and let you covert the movie directly off the DVD using Handbrake. Once DVD43 shows a happy face, browse over to the Video_TS folder on the DVD in Handbrake. There is still some copy protection DVD43 can't do and but it will do everything DVDDecrypter can do with out additional software.

i'll try ripping the movie with dvd shrink, and see what the results are.
gonewiththesin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:30 PM
#9
 
Senior Lounger
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonewiththesin
ok, so i ripped a movie with dvd drcrypter like it said in the guide, in the previous post.

and when i try to load the ripped movie into handbrake i get this message.


i get that error message when i choose the Video_TS folder as a source.
gonewiththesin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:32 PM
#10
 
Senior Lounger
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonewiththesin
i'll try ripping the movie with dvd shrink, and see what the results are.

it seems that it still rips the movie into multiple VOB files.


EDIT:

i have tried everything that everybody has mentioned in all the posts, and it just doesn't seem to work at all.

EDIT:

Last edited by gonewiththesin; 11-26-2007 at 03:52 PM.
gonewiththesin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:15 PM
#11
 
Veteran Lounger
 
Sparkee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 5,706

Just about every program out there will create multiple vob files because they are too big for some operating systems to handle. If the DVD is properly ripped Handbrake will join the vobs as it creates the movie using the Video_TS as a source, not the vob files. I have made many movies this way.

Try setting the Mode to IFO I in DVDDcrypter, open the Tool/Settings and in the IFO tab change file splitting to none. Then go to the main screen, with the DVD in, and click the Stream Processing tab and enable it selecting the first video and the audio you want. You should get one rather large vob file. This should work on a NTFS drive, not on a Fat32 or lower drive since this file will be roughly 4-6Gbs.



64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Sparkee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:25 PM
#12
 
Senior Lounger
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkee
Just about every program out there will create multiple vob files because they are too big for some operating systems to handle. If the DVD is properly ripped Handbrake will join the vobs as it creates the movie using the Video_TS as a source, not the vob files. I have made many movies this way.

Try setting the Mode to IFO I in DVDDcrypter, open the Tool/Settings and in the IFO tab change file splitting to none. Then go to the main screen, with the DVD in, and click the Stream Processing tab and enable it selecting the first video and the audio you want. You should get one rather large vob file. This should work on a NTFS drive, not on a Fat32 or lower drive since this file will be roughly 4-6Gbs.
i did the exact same settings in dvddecrypter and it out putted 2 VOB files that were about 2 - 3gb in total, then when i choose that folder in handbrake i get that error that i posted.
gonewiththesin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:49 PM
#13
 
Veteran Lounger
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 5,178

Try it with DVD43 which rips the DVD on the fly (meaning no files saved to your HDD).

Then follow the tutorial.

http://handbrake.m0k.org/trac/wiki/WindowsGuiGuide

Good luck with it.
melsmusic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 03:04 PM
#14
 
Senior Lounger
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by melsmusic
Try it with DVD43 which rips the DVD on the fly (meaning no files saved to your HDD).

Then follow the tutorial.

http://handbrake.m0k.org/trac/wiki/WindowsGuiGuide

Good luck with it.

ok i installed dvd43.

but i have no clue what it does, or what im suppose to do.
gonewiththesin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 03:49 PM
#15
 

 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Tiskilwa, IL
Posts: 10,131

The dvd43 breaks the encryption with the other programs sometimes don't do on their own. It just runs in the background as you run other programs. So if you rip with that running, you should hopefully be able to then point to the new ripped source and convert...




5G 80GB iPod / iPhone 4 / MacBook Pro / Last.fm /
Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!
studogvetmed is offline  
Reply With Quote

Topic: how to use handbrake?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





View iLounge History. Read our old Forums Archive (2001-2003)
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:46 PM.


Shop for Accessories: Cases, speakers, chargers, etc.