Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: file cannot be played on iPod error message????

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 07-31-2007, 12:14 PM

Freshman Lounger

file cannot be played on iPod error message????

I converted an MPeg video file to an Mp4. It imports into my movie library fine and plays in iTunes, but when I try to put it in a video playlist I have created I get the message:

File cannot be copied to iPod because it cannot be played on this iPod. I have a 40 gig Videl iPod. Any ideas why? Anything I can do?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:42 PM

It won't transfer because the file format is wrong and it needs to be converted again. Just because it plays in iTunes doesn't mean it's correctly converted for playing on the iPod. You can either convert it again using different settings or use iTunes 'convert selection for iPod'.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:53 PM

Freshman Lounger

It's the same file extenstion I use for all of my files. M4P What else would I use?
Old 07-31-2007, 03:26 PM

The mpeg-4 file extension is not the problem. The problem is that your mpeg-4 video is encoded at a resolution, video bitrate, or audio bitrate that is not compatible with the iPod. Make sure you are using either standard mpeg-4 or mpeg-4 AVC (baseline low complexity 1.3) with video bitrates of 1500kbps or less, a audio bitrate of 128kbps, and a video resolution of 640X480 or less.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 10-13-2007, 02:01 PM

Freshman Lounger

I've got the same problem. I'm trying to transfer The Marie Claire Masthead Video podcast to my 3G Nano. it comes from itunes. Thinking that the file format was not compatible I used the solution posted here and converted the file through itunes for use on the ipod. After 30 mins spent converting i was surprised to discover I got the very same error message as before. Am I missing a setting on the Nano? The file I'm working with has a bit rate of 155kbps, profile low complexity,total bit rate 857 kbps, video 320X240, codec H.264
Old 10-21-2007, 01:44 AM

Reclined Lounger

I've encoded video at 320x240 MPEG-4 768kbps and an audio bitrate of 256kbps. No problems loading it in.

Baseline 1.3 AVC is limited to 768kbps, I thought. Baseline 3 can go up to 1500kbps for H264.

Have you tried other programs to convert? Videora or Nero?

Lauren

Shazbot, Nano, Nano.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:14 PM

Freshman Lounger

Not all iTunes videos can be transferred to iPod. There are lots of limitations including resolution, bit rate, aspect ratio, size audio codec, and so on. You need convert them to iPod compatible video. Even you already convert your video files to iTunes compatible video MP4, MOV, M4V, sometimes you are still unable to copy them to iPod due to the false specifications output by not so professional video converters.

iTunes has an option for videos to create a version for your iPod if you right click on a video.

Last edited by cjmnews; 09-06-2013 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Removed generic google solution and added iTunes solution, even though this is a 6 year old thread.

Topic: file cannot be played on iPod error message????

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.