Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Converting .avi to .mp4.

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 06-29-2006, 11:29 PM

Junior Lounger

Converting .avi to .mp4.

What program do you guys use. I used one but it split the audio from the video, and i aint that great on computers.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 06-30-2006, 01:23 AM

Ur Lucky If I Help U Me

Well lets see, there is Videora http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/ jodix and many others
Old 06-30-2006, 11:54 AM

Freshman Lounger

http://yamb.unite-video.com/ can demux video and audio from an avi and then mux it in to a mp4, but if you mean that you want to convert the video and audio from an avi to a format that the ipod supports then you will need VirtualDubMod, Xvid, itunes and yamb.
First what you need to do is download both VirtualDubMod and Xvid, install VirtualDubMod first then Xvid, drag the video file you want to convert in to VirtualDubMod, go to video\filters menu, add deinterlace first (do this only if the video is interlaced) then choose "blend fields together" and then press add again and choose resize and than put the res at 320 x 240 and then choose lanczos3 under filter mode and then click ok and go back out to the main window. Then go to video\compression scroll down to xvid and click configure then put the profile level at unrestricted and then click on "more" and untick b-vops and anything else on that page, click ok.
Then set the target bitrate at 2500kbs (or a bit lower if you want to save space) press ok.
Go back to the main menu and click on file/save as, put in a name for the file and make sure that the format is set as avi, click save then wait for the file to be encoded (this can take a long time based on how long the file was).

After that is done open up yamb, tell it to extract the video from the file, then the audio.
Set up itunes to convert files to 160kbs aac (this will only work if the file is mp3 or wav) drag it in to itunes then right click on it and go to convert to aac. Wait for itunes to finish, then go to my music\itunes\iTunes Music\Unknown Artist\Unknown Album find the file and then go back to yamb and go to mux, push add and choose the video you extracted before, then push add again and find the audio. Push mux and then take the file you just made and put it in itunes.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:35 PM

Junior Lounger

Thanks everyone for their replys, everything sorted now, im using Videora (ipod Converter).
Easy to use, and does the job.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:56 PM

Freshman Lounger

Yeah, I love Videora

A great blog concerning video on the iPod:

http://ipodplusvideos.blogspot.com/

Topic: Converting .avi to .mp4.

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.