Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Homemade videos on Ipod?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 04-02-2006, 12:07 PM

Freshman Lounger

Homemade videos on Ipod?

Alright.. I don't own an Ipod yet and I was planning on buying the big shiny 60gb one with video and that stuff. I was doing some research to find any bugs or glitches I might experience and it seems everywhere I go theres a slight hint that its not that easy to get video on an Ipod as it sounds.

I own a video camera and it makes massive video files that I can't keep on my PC because they will fill my PC up withen a few days. (It litterally has one megabyte for every second and you cant change the sound quality to lower it) The camera makes MPEG files.

I just want to check and double check this before I fork out $500 bucks, would I be able to put my home made videos into my Ipod with out having any sound loss or any other problems? (I heard you loose sound in Itunes) Or do I have to do some converting to get it to work? I heard that you can burn DVDs with videora but thats not what I am asking.. the file is already on my computer.

Just a side question.. are there any other things I should know about the Ipod video? IE. it says you can do this but you really need to subscribe/pay/do a lot of converting work? I just got a slight tingly feeling the Ipod has a dark side and isn't as easy to use as it sounds.
Thanks guys'

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 04-02-2006, 01:18 PM

I have no problem converting my movies/videos and DVD's for iPod use. Not everyone is having these problems. Videora is software (for windows users) used to convert videos/movies not burn them. You need to post your OS or put it on your profile.

If the file does not require editing, then all you should need is a converter application. Any media or file format that you convert to the MPEG4/AAC LC or H.264/AAC LC format within specific limitations can be added to your iTunes library and then be sync'd to your 5G iPod.

H.264 video
File formats: .m4v, .mp4 and .mov
Video: Up to 768 Kbps, 320 x 240 pixels, 30 frames per second, Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3
Audio: AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 KHz, stereo audio

MPEG-4 video
File formats: .m4v, .mp4 and .mov
Video: Up to 2.5 Mbps, 480 x 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile
Audio: AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 KHz, stereo audio

Quote:
...would I be able to put my home made videos into my iPod with out having any sound loss or any other problems? (I heard you loose sound in Itunes) Or do I have to do some converting to get it to work?
I have used iTunes to convert files when I rec'd the error message that the file would not transfer to the iPod. I haven't experience any sound lose when doing so. I don't use it to convert any other time (lack of contol) but we do have this you can read on the subject:
Converting Video for iPod with iTunes 6 (Mac & PC)
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/art...unes-6-mac-pc/

You don't have to pay to convert files there is freeware to use and you don't have to subscribe to convert files. Don't know where you read this info at but it's wrong. We have the iPod 101/201 tutorials here with guides to use:
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/tutorials/

See this guide for software links:
GUIDES TO: Converting Video for iPod - Mac & Window

Freeware listed at above link you can use: Videora, 3GP Converter and Free iPod Video Converter. Also, the VLC player has instructions listed for converting videos.

I would advise making a copy of one of the movies and doing a test with one of the files first.
Old 04-02-2006, 03:10 PM

Stoopid Ameican Rednek

The bottom line is, if you want to keep the same high quality you have in the original files when you put them on the iPod, it's not going to happen. You can keep the quality good, but there is going to be loss in the conversion process no matter what you do. You can keep the quality as high as possible in the conversion process but that will result in a large file that will take up a bigger chunk of that 60Gb the iPod will have available. You have to balance quality with size and figure out which is more important for you.

Old 04-02-2006, 04:01 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks, I have windows XP for my OS.

I dont expect to get the highest quality when transerfering it to the Ipod, my friend has one and the screen is small and I usually tape things far away. Im not expecting this thing to replace my TV. I would like to use my Ipod as a sort of back up.

I doubt I would use up all 60gb that fast though, my computer is 40gb so after formating that gives me roughly 55gb according to the FAQs on this site. I dont have much music (only about 1.3 gb)
And I only have 6gb of space on my mini-DVDs (for my camera) and I have never filled one up completely. The 60gb one is just nice and shiny and I like the idea of never running out of space.

Either way its a major improvement over my Yepp' which holds an astounding 64megabytes and has 5 hours of life on 2 triple A's and only plays music, all 14 of my songs which I reduced to 112kbs to fit them all.

I didn't read the subscription part anywhere, I kinda figured everything comes with a catch. My Yepp requires a subscription if you want to up load any one of the 14 songs to your computer or if you want to rip/ burn a CD. And the site you get the subscription from no longer exist, and the button that changes the bass and tremble and the other setting broke off at the solder joints.

Sorry if this is all a bit nooBish but I never messed with an Ipod before, I just want to make sure its not a disappointment and does everything it says it does. Im not sure what they are called but the things where you get TV shows sent to Itunes for a $2.00 was one of the things I figured you would end up paying even more for.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:29 PM

Stoopid Ameican Rednek

Quote:
Originally posted by vicviper
Im not sure what they are called but the things where you get TV shows sent to Itunes for a $2.00 was one of the things I figured you would end up paying even more for.
iTunes is not a subscription service, it's a buy as you go service. The $1.99 price tag allows you to use the video on up to 5 devices (computers/iPods) at one time. Sadly, you can't burn the videos to DVD as they are DRM protected files. The same is NOT true for music purchased from iTunes. You can burn music to CDs and then rip it back to MP3 for unlimited use.

Old 04-02-2006, 08:21 PM

Freshman Lounger

Ah, thanks a lot. I can't wait to get the money afford this thing now. It makes much more sense now.

Topic: Homemade videos on Ipod?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.