Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: How do I get Videos OFF my iPod!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 11-09-2005, 07:46 AM

Freshman Lounger

How do I get Videos OFF my iPod!

I need to exchance my iPod for a new one, had some bugs and apple store said they'd exchange it for a new one. Problem is, after I put some of my Vids onto my iPod, I deleted them off my computer hard-drive.

I need to know how I can get these Vids FROM the iPod onto my computer. Otherwise I won't have any video's to put on my new iPod!

HELP! Please respond asap as today is my last day to exchange the iPod!

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 11-09-2005, 08:08 AM

Junior Lounger

How do you get them on you ripod and off your hard drive? manually update?
Old 11-09-2005, 01:54 PM

Junior Lounger

Search Yahoo for a program called Ipod Liberator.. this will take anything off your ipod including Videos. Reminder that it is the Shareware version, so you may only copy 4 files at one time.. but it takes only a few seconds to copy them anyway. Goodluck!

"Shake Hands with Beef"
Old 11-09-2005, 03:46 PM

First off you should have backed up the files and burned them to a disk. You need to do this.

Connect the iPod & go to my computer>iPod & open it. You need to have the iPod set to disk mode or manual use. Go to Tools>Folder Options>View & tick the box next to 'show hidden files & folders'. Then click ok to close. Open the ghost music folder and you will see the F00, 01 ect. folders. Your files are inside. You may have to remove them manually since there might not be any free software to do this as of yet.

Open the folder, highlight the files (Edit>Select All), then drag n drop the files into the main iTunes library and wait for them to be added.

Back up your files and you won't have this problem.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:15 PM

Senior Lounger

Re: How do I get Videos OFF my iPod!

Quote:
Originally posted by SkuiD87
Problem is, after I put some of my Vids onto my iPod, I deleted them off my computer hard-drive.
Why on Earth would you ever do that? That defeats the purpose of having iTunes.

The iPod is an iTunes delivery device.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:21 PM

Freshman Lounger

Its nice, so then you can have the videos on your ipod, and not your computer, because I am gonna assume that you ran out of space and have alot of videos? Thats what I am gonna use my ipod for, and what with the episodes of anime I have, I get about 2 episodes per CD-R, cuz CD-Rs are crap.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:27 PM

Junior Lounger

here is a tutorial I made for manually getting music out of the ipod, and back into itunes. you could try it out and see if it manages the videos as well. I have it in word format with screen shots as well pm me if you think it will help you. I will try to post it to my site this weekend.

cheers,
axxman

There are several programs available that allow the copying of digital music files from the ipod to the pc. However, I was in a hurry and did not want to install any shareware programs on my pc. So I decided to see how to do it myself.

Backing up the ipod files before sending an ipod for service:

The need to do this arose when a friend needed to send her ipod in for service, the instructions I received from Apple advised me to backup my ipod before I sent it back to them, and however they gave no instructions on how to do this. I was afraid that the files might somehow be locked to my ipod’s serial number and if Apple replaced my ipod, I would not simply be able to copy the files back to the ipod.

I had 2 ipods so I decided to copy the ipod_control folder to my other ipod, well it worked, everything was just as it was on the original ipod so backing it up was just a matter of having it in disc mode, and copying the ipod_control folder to my pc.

Extracting music files from ipod’s directory structure:

My friend started asking me about how to get the files back onto her pc because she deleted them. Itunes is not designed for this. Again there are plenty of programs out there to do this but I decided to have a look. I drilled down through the directory structure and came to the music files, the files are still in tact, however the names have been changed.

I dragged one into itunes and found it retained all the id3 tag information.

Having the files in that format was pretty useless as it means the only program that can read those files is itunes or the ipod itself. Also there were dozens of folders containing 100s of files. Sorting through all these cryptic names would have been next to impossible. So I copied them into itunes and tried burning them to an mp3 cd. Well once it was done burning the cd; all the files had their original names.

The following is a step by step guide how to do this, I added a few steps because I wanted to be able to delete the cryptic files afterwards, I have 4200+ songs that are all perfectly tagged, I didn’t want the cryptic names in iTunes afterwards.

First you will need to put the ipod in Disc Mode and browse to the ipod in windows explorer. You will see a window such as this; copy the ipod_control folder to your hard drive once you have the folder on the hard drive. I recommend disconnecting the ipod. Open up the ipod_control folder on your hard drive,

Drill down through the directory structure until you see something that looks like this:

You are now in a folder called “music” These are the folders containing music files.

The next step is to search these folders for music files. Click on search and select the options on the left as seen in the next picture.

Notice I selected advanced options and clicked on “show hidden files and folders” the search fields are left blank, windows knows to look for only music files. Click “Search” and you should have the following result.

These are all the music files from your ipod. Select all using the keys ctrl+a. and ctrl+c for copy; create a temp directory somewhere and past them into it.

Now you have a directory on your hard drive containing all the ipod music, but it is still in its cryptic form.

The next step is to import this music into itunes; I wanted to do this in such a way that I would be able to delete them from itunes afterwards.

I opened up my iTunes library and sorted by “date added” this is an optional view in iTunes. I checked to make sure I had not added any songs this day, so that afterwards I could delete the songs I was adding now.

The next step is to click on “file”, “add folder to library” and then browse to the temporary directory you created earlier. Now all the songs are in iTunes, sort by date added and create a playlist and drag all the songs from today’s date into it, right click the playlist and click burn playlist to disc (remember to choose mp3 cd under the burning options for iTunes). When it is done burning you will see all the song names are back where they belong. ;-)

koss ksc55s, sony eggos &mdr V6's
iTripmini iskin Sennheiser px250
Qtek 8100 musicphone 1gb
iPod 60gb 5G iPod mini silver
truckertom podcast
nero recode link
http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=124711
www.axxman.com

Last edited by axxman; 11-10-2005 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:17 PM

Junior Lounger

the easiest and free way

install winamp, then use the ml ipod plugin and you can control everything

i dont even use itunes anymore

and this allows you to pull whatever you want off of the ipod and put on the computer

www.winamp.com

Topic: How do I get Videos OFF my iPod!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.