Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Every step to put DVDs on your iPod in one thread

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 10-27-2005, 07:26 PM

Freshman Lounger

Exclamation Every step & program needed to put DVDs on your iPod in one thread - Windows

I'm posting this because I had the hardest time going post to post trying to figure out what to do to get videos on my iPod. I had to find where to get a FREE dvd converter, after installing like 3 different ones that either sucked or were trial versions, THEN figuring-out how to get Videora to work correctly. I'm guessing there are some other non-computer genuises out there like me who've had troube puting videos on your iPod. This post is for you.
Everyone else who knows this already, just disregard.

Thank-you Insimbi for your reply in my other thread, that helped greatly, along w/ a message posted by arnieiPod on how to configure the Videora Converter. Also thank-you to to mmace for the update on adding 16:9/widescreen videos.

Here we go

You need to download your dvd ripper, DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0
-Go to Doom9 dot org to get this. (sorry but for some reason I can't put web addresses)
Click "Download" on the left column. Then it's halfway down the page under "Descrambling / Ripping tools"
**this is completely free & not some crappy trial thing**

You'll need Videora to convert the file to iPod video format
-Go to videora dot com to get this

-RIPPING THE DVD

1)Place the DVD you want to rip your video from into your DVD drive.

2)Launch DVD Decrypter.

3)Go to the Mode menu and select IFO I mode. This will give you access to two new tabs; Input & Stream Processing.

4)Go to the Tools menu, select Settings, go to the IFO tab, then under Options, change File Splitting to None and press OK.

5a)Go to the main screen and click the Input tab. It will automatically have the section open where the movie is located (usually "VTS_02"). The PGC file that's highlighted should be the movie you're wanting to rip, double-check this by looking at the time/length of the PGC file highlighted.
*NOTE: If you are downloading episodes from a TV show DVD (Simpsons, Family Guy, etc.) that has multiple episodes on one DVD, there will be a file for each episode (PGC 1, PGC 2, ...). Just highlight the one you want to rip - they're in the same order as they are on the DVD.

5b) Now click the Stream Processing tab. Check the "Enable Stream Processing" box at the top. Next, only select the first TWO boxes in the window. The 1st should say "Video" and the 2nd should say "Audio". Note that home encoded movies do not support subtitles of any kind and that your file can only have one type of audio.

6)Before you begin ripping your video, note the destination of the video file. This is where your raw DVD rip is going to go and it will be rather large in size. If you want to change the directory that DVD Decrypter will output to, click on the Browse button and navigate to the folder you want and press OK.

Now that you know where the movie file is going, click on the Decrypt button to start decrypting the DVD to your hard drive.

Once it is done, close DVD Decrypter. Expect a 4 GB to 6 GB movie to take about 12 to 18 minutes.
**for illustrations of the above steps, go to videora's Converter guides section on their webpage

-CHANGING FILE TO IPOD FORMAT

Start Videora iPod converter.
1) Click setup in the left nav.
1.5) Click the profiles tab.

2) Click new profile.

3) Now, configure that profile:

profile name: ipod

in the video settings section...
mode: MPEG-4 > CBR
resolution: 320x240
passes: one
bitrate: 768 kbps (384 kbps also works)
framerate: 29.97 fps
aspect ratio: 1:1 for full-screen
16:9 for wide-screen
(Note- you might want to creat 2 profiles "ipod full" & "ipod wide" and just have the only difference being the format size)

in the audio settings section...
bitrate: 128 kbps
sample rate: Input
channels: stereo

4) Click apply to save the profile.

-Now, you're ready to transcode.

1) Click convert on the left nav.

2) Click the transcode new video button.

3) Pick your source video (this is located where you had DVD Decrypter put the ripped DVD) The file should end in .VOB

4) Under quality profile, choose "ipod", the profile you created using the steps above. *(you have to select this profile EVERY time you transcode, it's not the default)*

5) Click start.

-NOW YOU'RE READY TO PUT THE VIDEO ON YOUR IPOD

1) In iTunes, under the File menu, select "add file to library". Find the transcoded mp4 file. Click on it, then press "open". The file should then be added to your library.
Note: By default, the transcoded videos pop out under the Videora directory ( C:\Program Files\VideoraConverter\Videos )

That's it. Sorry for the long post, but I wish I would've had everything in one place when I was trying to figure this out.

Again, I give all the credit to Insimbi & arnieiPod, which is where I got all this information. Thanks to mmace for pointing-out the widescreen formatting changes when setting up a profile in Videora.

Please reply if you have any questions now that I know how to do this. I've downloaded 5 episodes of Seinfeld from season 3, and they've all come out perfect.

-kanakukbro

Last edited by kanakukbro; 02-06-2006 at 10:17 AM.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 10-27-2005, 08:07 PM

Apple since 1983 baby

This is pretty much exactly as described in the Videora how-to:

hTp://ww.videora.com/en-us/Converter/guides.html
Old 10-27-2005, 10:43 PM

Freshman Lounger

Right, except there's no explaination on how to configure Videora properly, that's one reason that everyone was having so many problems w/ Videora. Also, that link takes a little bit of searching to find. If someone hadn't pointed it out to me, I would've continued to overlook it.

I'm in no way saying that I have written something profound or anything that hasn't been written before, I'm just trying to put it in one spot to make it easy. That's it, just trying to help out.

I hope this post helps someone.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:24 AM

JMG
asdf

how long does it take to encode a full movie with videora... I have Office Space going and it's been over an hour and it still says 01 seconds time remaining, but is still processing and increasing in file size. IT also says that transcoding is at 100%, but not complete.

iPhone 4S 64gb , iPad 3 64gb
iPod: 8gb iTouch, 160gb Classic, 8gb Nano (product)Red, 4gb Shuffle 3G
See my iPod install in my Audi S4
Old 10-31-2005, 02:32 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by JMG
how long does it take to encode a full movie with videora... I have Office Space going and it's been over an hour and it still says 01 seconds time remaining, but is still processing and increasing in file size. IT also says that transcoding is at 100%, but not complete.
I am having the same problem with a vob file. Transcoding at 100% but time remaining is always 1 second and file size increasing. I have no idea when it will finish.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:01 PM

Junior Lounger

How do you get Videora to convert more than one VOB file into a single file? For example, I'm trying to convert an episode of a TV show that results in two VOBs: one 1,048,506kb and the other 251,852kb. The second file contains the tail end of the episode, so obviously I don't want two separate files created, but Videora only seems to want to convert on a "one VOB = one converted file" basis.

Edit: OK, I guess I need to work on my reading comprehension. You have to change "File Splitting" to none in DVD Decrypter. Thanks for the guide!
Old 11-07-2005, 09:28 AM

Freshman Lounger

Good, I'm glad you got that to work. I know there's a lot of steps, but if you follow them to a "T" it should work no prob.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:48 AM

Junior Lounger

Doing this crops and squishes any widescreen video. Anyone know which settings you use if you want to keep widescreen and the aspect ratio?
Old 11-07-2005, 10:06 AM

Senior Lounger

kanakukbro, do you want to add to the tutorial that for 16:9 films they need to change the aspect ratio from 1:1 to 16:9 when creating a profile

you could also do with adding to the title that this is for windows users since there's a lot of mac users on here!

Maff

Win XP Pro, PIV 3Ghz HT, 2Gb RAM
Amiga OS3.9, 800Mhz G3 (G5 soon), 512Mb RAM
Apple iBook G4, 256Mb RAM
5G iPod white/60Gb
Old 11-07-2005, 12:30 PM

Freshman Lounger

Good point mmace.
I haven't converted a widescreen movie yet myself. I'm assuming you have, so is it only necessary to change the aspect ratio from 1:1 to 16:9? Don't you also need to change the resolution to 640x360? Let me know what you did that fit it correctly on the iPod without stretching or shrinking the video, and I'll update my post.

-Ryan
Old 11-07-2005, 12:33 PM

Freshman Lounger

but the Video Won't Show up in itunes

I use Windows. I went through the entire process and have a mp4 file to show for it, but when I drag (or even use the pull-down menu) the video into itunes, it does not show up. I have tried dragging into "Library", and into a new playlist that I've created with no success. I am NOT able to drag into the "Videos" folder.

Anyone know why?
Old 11-07-2005, 12:49 PM

Senior Lounger

you just change to 16:9, it then changes the pixel widths, no need to change resolution

Maff

Win XP Pro, PIV 3Ghz HT, 2Gb RAM
Amiga OS3.9, 800Mhz G3 (G5 soon), 512Mb RAM
Apple iBook G4, 256Mb RAM
5G iPod white/60Gb
Old 11-07-2005, 01:10 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks mmace. I just updated the procedures.

If anybody else has any other suggestions to changes needing to be made to the procedures, please let me know.

keystonecane, to add a movie to iTunes I just click "file" (in iTunes), then select "add file to library", then click on the file/movie that you want to put in your library.

I updated this step in the procedures to make it more clear.

Should work. Let me know though.

Last edited by kanakukbro; 11-07-2005 at 01:24 PM.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:43 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks a lot man.

Excellent tutorial. It really helped.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:31 PM

Junior Lounger

Where is this "FORMAT" setting in Videora? I don't see this anywhere.

Topic: Every step to put DVDs on your iPod in one thread

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.