Won't update from 4.2.1 to 4.3

b43pulse

Hey, My Ipod touch 3rd gen wont update to 4.3 from 4.2.1.
I've tried updating iTunes and restoring my iPod and nothing worked so far. Can someone please assist me?

As you probably know, 4.3 is only for the 3rd generation Touch and later. But if your Touch is an 8 GB model then it is 2nd generation as there never was an 8 GB 3rd generation Touch, despite what you may have been told or had assumed.

b43pulse

As you probably know, 4.3 is only for the 3rd generation Touch and later. But if your Touch is an 8 GB model then it is 2nd generation as there never was an 8 GB 3rd generation Touch, despite what you may have been told or had assumed.
Wow.. So the people that sold it to me lied?

Well, given that you never specified the capacity of your iPod, it is hard to tell. There was some confusion during 2009 whenever Apple released the 3G iPod touch. Only the 32GB and 64GB capacities were true 3G models whereas the 8GB capacity was exactly the same as the 2G iPod touch line. Only the 32GB and 64GB models received the upgraded internal hardware necessary for running iOS 4.3 and higher. In 2009, the 8GB iPod touch was sold right alongside the 32GB and 64GB 3G models and there wasn't anything on the 8GB's packaging saying "warning, this really isn't a third generation product and is the same as last year's model." So many people just called it the 3G 8GB iPod touch even though there is no such thing. It is a common mistake that a bunch of people have made. I even caught an Apple employee making that mistake.

So either the person who sold it to you lied, they just didn't know, or you actually have a 3G iPod touch (this can only be known from the capacity listed on the back since you already told us the "generation").